Jordan10la

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bumjeans said:
Hope it will be good. I will be going to Japan next year and would be useful to know a little of the language.

What other learning resources (preferbly free) would you recommend?
Absolute Pimsleur's Japanese is what I'm doing now. I very much lie kthe way it's done. Now I'm not very far and probably sound sound stupid but it's still fun. ALso It costs money but There ware certain ways around that.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Alex said:
hksmrchan said:
Helllo fellow weaboos.

I can't wait for this game either, but i think that this game would only provide you of the very basics of the basics. Better to buy textbooks.
Did I hear someone say weaboo?

It looks complicated from the screenshots...

Looks pretty easy to understand from the screenshots.
The part where most people will get stuck is probably the kanji learning part where you have to write words using kanji.
ohmy.gif

Can't wait for this release, I always wanted to learn japanese, because I think the language rocks.
biggrin.gif

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Somehow I doubt the usefulness of this title..
I'd love to really learn Japanese (playing games in Japanese before they come out in English would be awesome, as well as watching Anime in Japanese) and I actually was going to learn it in School (you guys might remember the topic I made about it here), but I postponed it till next year as I was too busy.. :/

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that the French coach is very helpful in learning the language basics of the whole grammatical structure, writing, speaking, and reading, and all the vocab in the game gives a wide selection too.

The japanese version uses the same methods so I have no reason to doubt the usefulness of this product. My wife got the french one as she took it in HS and it refreshed her on stuff she forgot a few years ago, so for those who ever made a sorry attempt or have lost and buried knowledge it will make it an even easier time to get back up to speed.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Meh, reading and writing Japanese is by far the hardest aspect of it. No one's going to be able to read light novels, manga, or games by playing this game.

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
obviously not but at least it will give people a basic understanding or common phrases, it could prove useful as a resource for those taking Japanese classes

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you're after Kanji it has a few, but not a whole huge pile of them. What it will teach you is hiragana and katakana. It will teach you romanized japanese. It will teach you some common grammar and vocab. It will do this using cool games, varying techniques, and will probe you in writing, hearing, and speaking. I'd say it would be quite effective to ultimately be very proficient at a childs level in the language, well more than enough to hold a general more basic conversation and read whatever you need to if it's not all kanji.

For $30 you're bitchin?

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Well if you're after Kanji it has a few, but not a whole huge pile of them. What it will teach you is hiragana and katakana. It will teach you romanized japanese. It will teach you some common grammar and vocab. It will do this using cool games, varying techniques, and will probe you in writing, hearing, and speaking. I'd say it would be quite effective to ultimately be very proficient at a childs level in the language, well more than enough to hold a general more basic conversation and read whatever you need to if it's not all kanji.

For $30 you're bitchin?

Since I'm far beyond the need for it, yeah $30 seems like a lot when a good set of 500 kanji cards is 20 something. And a third grade or even second grade "child" knows way more than this game can teach.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yah well dumbshit you're also if that flag is honest, Japanese. Go try and learn spanish or something from scratch and you'll quickly learn the value of a educational program like this.

Honestly your argument is completely retarded. That's like me picking on an english teaching program for being too easy for me.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Yah well dumbshit you're also if that flag is honest, Japanese. Go try and learn spanish or something from scratch and you'll quickly learn the value of a educational program like this.

Honestly your argument is completely retarded. That's like me picking on an english teaching program for being too easy for me.

I'm not appreciative of your language. Consider yourself reported. Plus, you're the one who's wrong, not me.

I can live in Japan and not be Japanese. The flag refers to location, not nationality.

Japanese is actually my third language. Thus I know something about studying it. I've taken two semesters of Spanish. I also speak Bangla, Japanese, and English. English is my only native language (I don't say I speak Spanish).

While the game is too easy and not helpful for me, that's not my argument. My argument is that it's a waste of money that won't teach you very much at all. If you learned anything useful it would be too hard to make a DS title.

A ton of people are going to play it, think they know Japanese and not be able to do anything at all. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing (for example, the recently released Snoopy DS game. Some idiot completely butchered the transliteration because they thought they knew Japanese).

This game Japanese coach game is a faux-learning way for people who are not dedicated to try and learn Japanese. They'll either get through the game and not know very much or (much more likely) quit. And a lot of them will post garbage like the above mentioned Snoopy DS transliteration. As I mentioned before, there is easy way to learn anything worth knowing. This Coach game included, especially for languages like Chinese and Japanese.

Having lived in the U.S. for 20 years or so, I've noticed with some horror this culture of "un-learning." It's quick-fix pretend learning and this game is very much a part of it. Books are better for games than learning (i.e., a game like this is almost useless), even as a beginner, and for language, learning by speaking is better still.

If the English in your post is any indication, you'd be well served by playing an English training game. In any case, you've made some faulty assumptions and made an ass of yourself. Hope you're happy.

bebec6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is off-topic and I hope this is ok to post.

Why not try livemocha.com its 100% free. and a great way to learn a new language.
A few languages to choose from. Also teachs how to write.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bebec6 said:
I know this is off-topic and I hope this is ok to post.

Why not try livemocha.com its 100% free. and a great way to learn a new language.
A few languages to choose from. Also teachs how to write.

people are looking for something they can do on their DS.

I don't think anything is waiting for this game to solely learn Japanese but in the same time experiencing it from the hand held device too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-