Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Flooded said:
Also after that open the start menu click run then type "cmd" then in command promp type "ipconfig /release" then press enter. After that type "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and you should be set. May take a few minutes to reboot your router.

A release/renew doesn't do anything when you set a static IP.

JKR Firefox said:
QUOTE(Flooded @ May 7 2008, 01:46 AM) 1. Get to the Microsoft Windows desktop.
2. Right-click on My Network Places or Network Neighborhood and click Properties.
3. Right-click on Local Area Connection and click Properties.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. If this is not present, you'll need to install this protocol.
5. In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window, select "Use the following IP address" if not already selected and specify the new IP address you wish to use. While entering this data you'll also need to specify the subnet mask and default gateway.

Only problem with doing that is, his ISP doesn't allow static IP addresses to be used.

If he's going through a router, it doesn't matter what type of connection his ISP provides. The dynamic IP from them will only be assigned to the WAN interface of the router, not any of the clients on the LAN.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed SP3 in a virtual machine (VMWare server) in such a way that it believed it was a single computer connected to my router (with a different IP to the "host") and had no internet issues.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, so that's why Windows Update's been busy. I saw the system tray icon flick past today in the way it does when the update server's too busy for it to connect, which probably explains why my PC's been slow to boot all week. Anyway thanks for the heads-up, if it doesn't play ball with routers then I think I'll be leaving it alone for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over