Hardware My Goal for 2016: Building a modern NES PC.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'm well-aware. That's why I went with the riser card, to keep stuff fitting nice. :) Same with the m.2 SSD vs a Sata one.
Actually, that's why I said that specifically, you may not need it. That particular graphics card is half-height and may fit better upright than it would on the side lol
you should probably go with a flexible riser card that way you can put it in any way you want and will take up less room
+1 for that suggestion

I suppose we'll see when you get your parts in. I'm excited for the coming days. I'm also excited to see if this might allow more people to open up and post their own build logs

Reactions: Jayro

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll probably want to swap the PCI-E riser for a ribbon cable. I have an ITX build in the RVZ01 case which comes with a rigid riser and I had to swap it out for a flexible ribbon cable because I ran out of room for the CPU cooler. You run out of space fast in these ITX builds.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What's the plan for ventilation? I'd say cut a few more slits for vents on the bottom then put a small fan one one side and a discreet radiator on the other with the mobo on top. OR just go with a slim fan cooler but where is the in that? 750ti on the top vent of course.

Last edited by Luckkill4u,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
What's the plan for ventilation? I'd say cut a few more slits for vents on the bottom then put a small fan one one side and a discreet radiator on the other with the mobo on top. OR just go with a slim fan cooler but where is the in that? 750ti on the top vent of course.
Outtake fan in the black vent area on top, and an intake fan in the bottom.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Outtake fan in the black vent area on top, and an intake fan in the bottom.
You should also see if you can cut out the area that used to house the RCA ports on the side and stick an 80mm fan in there.

Also, I believe I've come up with a solution for fitting your graphics card in with a flexible PCI-E extender: electrical tape the shit out of the back of the board to create a custom anti-static backplate and mount it under the motherboard. That way, if you cut slits in the bottom, you get ventilation in to cool the card and ventilation out at the top for the CPU cooler, plus ventilation in from the new 80mm fan that would provide positive air pressure in the case

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I do too, but you'd need to insert something between the video card and the motherboard to make sure they don't short each other out
Oh very true, I have a lot of plastic to work with here, so that will be easy to shim.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, are you sure that motherboard supports 32GB of RAM?

Edit: No, it doesn't. It also doesn't support that particular length of m.2 drive that you picked out. Would you like me to generate a new part list for your needs (based on what you've written so far?)

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh very tr
I do too, but you'd need to insert something between the video card and the motherboard to make sure they don't short each other out
E, I have a lot of plastic to work with here, so that will be easy to
Hey, are you sure that motherboard supports 32GB of RAM?

Edit: No, it doesn't. It also doesn't support that particular length of m.2 drive that you picked out. Would you like me to generate a new part list for your needs (based on what you've written so far?)
Yes please, and I made sure the z97 chipset supported 32gb of ram... Weird.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-