My friend bricked - help

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jmhannz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    My friend gave me his console today after seeing me do my A9HL Luma hack, saying he bricked his with the 3ds guide. He is on 11.0, he went all the way through to the part where you boot in get to the web browser and hit select, it messed up he got pissed and just restored NAND back to 11, then he tried again and once he got to the part where you put the files for fasthax safehax on SD card and boot in, now the console you power it on and blue light for 2 seconds and nothing. Is he screwed

retrofan_k likes this.
  2. Sascha93

Sascha93 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Gambia, The
    He was doing CTR-Transfer?
    Try booting with SD card taken out.

3. walzarozo

walzarozo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    United States
    I was in the part before that, where you have to take out the SD card and place fast/safehax on sd card. Fasthax did not complete its process and returned a red screen, now I cannot boot into anything by holding any of the buttons into any kind of recovery like I previously could. Any way to boot back into Godmode or anything from this point?

4. Sascha93

Sascha93 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Can you boot into system menu?
    How could you load a payload(godmode etc.) previosly, without something like A9LH installed?

5. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    Just found out he deleted a lot of files left on his SD card. I put the arm9loader bin back in the root directory from the Luma, and now it boots into luma configuration, but hes missing pretty much EVERYTHING, godmode etc. If we can get it to manage to boot back into 11 we have to downgrade back to 2 and repeat all the steps....

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's okay, you don't need to redowngrade. You can put GodMode9, Hourglass9 etc back in the Luma\payloads folder and name them start_Hourglass9.bin, up_GodMode9.bin (just an example) to boot them when holding that button. If you're missing FBI, you can redo the injection by following that part of the guide, or try this method https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-install-fbi-without-injecting-over-h-s.458998/

Sascha93 likes this.
  7. Sascha93

Sascha93 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So the CTR transfer part should be finished. Stay away from dowgrading again!
    I hope he backed up the files earlier, like NAND etc.....

As he hit select like you said in the first post, i think it worked, he should've checked the SD-card if the generated file is on it, not delete the whole card...
    If your files are there, just follow the last part of the guide.

8. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    Honestly I am not sure what he deleted. I know he feels like a dumb ass right now because of all this extra hassle and I am sitting here at this point texting him pictures of bricks and its great, really brightening up my morning. But I guess now we'll have to get all the stuff back on the card thats missing and pickup from the tutorial, without downgrading back to 2 as you say, hes on 11 as far as I am aware but we never saw it boot yet, but we got to the Luma Config portion now that I put the one file on the SD. He might have to rerun the browser portion and reselect as he is trigger happy and deletes everything when he gets nervous.

Last edited by jmhannz, Apr 5, 2017
  9. walzarozo

walzarozo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    United States
    Right now the 3ds boots into the Luma config screen. I will give you a list of the steps I completed, if possible I would like to know how to start from scratch or continue if possible;

-Got soundhax working
    -Got to homebrew channel
    -Launched Fasthax and then Safehax
    -Did the CTRLtransfer
    -obtained nand backup about 1.2GB
    -When typing in the web browser address (xrsa address) I got the glitch screen, waited, pressed select
    -idk if arm9loaderhax installed and my 3ds shut off and I got no confirmation
    -I thought something was wrong and restored my nand back to 11.0.33u
    -restarted process, was doing Fasthax again, got red screen
    -This is when I messed up and deleted everything (trying to start over) so I don't know what step I am on
    -Currently boots into Luma updater 6.6, any advice on where I need to move from here?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

To clarify, I got a red screen on Fasthax which rendered my 3ds unbootable, then I deleted things which I know made it worse. And now it boots into Luma updater

10. Jhnsn

Jhnsn *Flat is Justice*

Sep 1, 2016
    Australia
    You already have a9lh installed. Man please. You can't run fasthax because luma doesn't let it run an arm11 exploit.

And why does it boot into luma updater? Luma updater isn't a arm9 payload.

Download the latest luma, put it on sd, boot system. If it doesn't boot, restore backup. If backup is corrupt, do a ctr-transfer to 9.2. Then update.

11. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Calls it 6.6, but Luma Updater version is 1.4.2: https://github.com/Hamcha/lumaupdate/releases

Sooooo... he's probably at the config screen.

12. Xyphoseos

Xyphoseos Hack or no games

Jun 29, 2016
    France
    Rivière
    6.6 is the version of lumaCFW
    1.4.2 is the version of Luma Updater

13. walzarozo

walzarozo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    United States
    Thank you, you are correct- I'm at the Luma config screen.

Xyphoseos likes this.
  14. Temptress Cerise

May 1, 2016
    United States
    I am well aware that. Not sure why you're quoting me. I know exactly where he's at. But I am not sure what OP is trying to do. So, I only pointed out the obvious.

15. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    I was helping him. I just proved it wasn't bricked by putting the 1 file back on the SD card and showing him. We're both at work for the next 6 hours so its hard to do anything at this point ha.

16. walzarozo

walzarozo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    United States
    I am stuck as to where to proceed from here since I don't think I can start over from scratch (11.0.33u) even though I have the nand backup. I am already out of the order of the proper steps but listed what I did get to.

17. Temptress Cerise

May 1, 2016
    United States
    https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax
    Start from the beginning of that, and skip Section II - Installing arm9loaderhax

18. walzarozo

walzarozo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    United States
    At that point I should be on section 3, running 2.1.0. But I'm not. I restored 11.0.33u.

19. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    Your friend bricked?
    Get a new friend and use the old one as doorstopper

20. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Okey so you have restored, does everything work normally? why I ask is because if this is the case, time to re-do the guide and please, be patient. Take your time, it's a nervracking experience but the guide is solid.