Hacking My DS Just Died

diablo02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to post this.

Okay, so I have a black Nintendo DS Lite, had it hooked with M3 Lite and M3 Simply; this has always worked fine.

Here I am getting a few games for it, one was for the DS, but most were for GBA. As soon as i managed to get into the main GBA mode, i tried Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. When it loaded, it simply said "GAMEBOY PLAYER" and nothing else. I figured it was a bad ROM. I turned it off, and now it will NOT go back on, and it won't even charge. I'm still in shock this happened to me after so many years of having no issues with any of this. It was fully charged before and i have had NO ISSUES with my hardware in the past. Just happened in the blink of an eye after installing my ROMS.

Has anyone had a similar experience? could it possibly be one of the ROMS i downloaded? and most importantly, Mario Advance 4 since that's the first and only one i actually executed? I wonder if the others would do harm to the DS even if they weren't executed (brick your DS by just sitting there).

Anyway let me know what you guys think, im extremely upset and...well, I still can't believe this. If there's no way to repair this, i guess im just looking for some closure to know if a ROM could possibly do all this.

Any way to save a DS that doesn't even turn on? reflash?

EDIT:
THANK YOU for the warning.

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Suggestion take the rom link off before a mod comes along. Its against the site rules even if its related to your bricked DS

Hmmm, not too sure why that happened all though I do know the site you got it from had occasionally experienced problems with corrupted roms which may of caused it. It also could be completely unrelated and possibly a fuse or short circuit frying the contents of the ds.

diablo02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah thats a possibility. Im trying to thinnk what other info i could give you for better troubleshooting.

I use an application called M3 Game Manager to patch my GBA roms into my M3 Lite. In the past, when patching the games i always used an option called "Hardware Support 1" (dont know if anyone is familiar).

However, tonight i decided to try another option called "Soft patch", (a feature of the M3 application)which i had never used before, just in the hopes that i would increase game compatibility.

I wonder if this "soft patch" could also come into play....

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hope this is the right place to post this.

Okay, so I have a black Nintendo DS Lite, had it hooked with M3 Lite and M3 Simply; this has always worked fine.

Here I am getting a few games for it, one was for the DS, but most were for GBA. As soon as i managed to get into the main GBA mode, i tried Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3.  When it loaded, it simply said "GAMEBOY PLAYER" and nothing else. I figured it was a bad ROM. I turned it off, and now it will NOT go back on, and it won't even charge.  I'm still in shock this happened to me after so many years of having no issues with any of this. It was fully charged before and i have had NO ISSUES with my hardware in the past. Just happened in the blink of an eye after installing my ROMS.

Has anyone had a similar experience? could it possibly be one of the ROMS i downloaded? and most importantly, Mario Advance 4 since that's the first and only one i actually executed? I wonder if the others would do harm to the DS even if they weren't executed (brick your DS by just sitting there).

Anyway let me know what you guys think, im extremely upset and...well, I still can't believe this. If there's no way to repair this, i guess im just looking for some closure to know if a ROM could possibly do all this.

Just FYI, the source from which i got Mario 3 was:
I'M SORRY JAEJAE
frown.gif

I can almost guarantee that posting a link to a ROM site will get you in trouble...I'd edit your post ASAP.

On topic: I've had many flash carts since I've had my DS Lite and I've never heard of such an issue. Perhaps it was just the system's time to go. Is it still under warranty?

diablo02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope no warranty, and it's about a year old or so.

Here's more info:

If i try to turn it on, the "green light" (power light) doesn't even blink, nothing happens.
However, if i try to charge it, the orange light (charging light) turns on for half a second. While the orange light is ON, the green light IS ALSO able to turn on, but then they both go off half a second later. I confirmed this by charging it and turning my DS on at the same time for that split second.

So it seems the DS responds while supposedly charging. I dont know much about DS hardware, but i wonder if there's anythnig i can replace if i disassemble it..... anything in regards to batteries or anything among those lines.

LouC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know much about this sort of thing (only got my ds for Xmas and I'm not a techie), but I do know that you can get replacement batteries for ds lite. It may be that after a year if you use it a lot the battery has just died, its worth a try and as a non-techie it would have been my first thought. Not sure where you get the batteries, just know the instruction manual to the ds (yes, I'm a girl so I read instruction manuals when I get new gadgets!!) says the battery can be replaced. Fingers crossed thats all it is.

Mnshredder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try looking around the net to find an answer to your problem if worst case scenario get nintendo or some E-tailer to fix it... Good luck man.

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't want to sound misinformed and please correct me if I'm wrong, but over the last few days there have been A LOT of threads about DS's bricking and not working and the one thing they all have in common is that the owner owned a M3 of some type.

Omoikane1979

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know much about this sort of thing (only got my ds for Xmas and I'm not a techie), but I do know that you can get replacement batteries for ds lite. It may be that after a year if you use it a lot the battery has just died, its worth a try and as a non-techie it would have been my first thought. Not sure where you get the batteries, just know the instruction manual to the ds (yes, I'm a girl so I read instruction manuals when I get new gadgets!!) says the battery can be replaced. Fingers crossed thats all it is.

I own one two year old DS, one 1 and a half year old DS lite pink and one half year old DS lite Pikachu edition and none of the batteries has died on me yet even though they are all used very intensively in combination with an R4.
Although I would agree on trying to change batteries to see if that is the cause of your DS lite malfunctioning. Still I find it very strange to read about something like this happening.

All in all good luck.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't want to sound misinformed and please correct me if I'm wrong, but over the last few days there have been A LOT of threads about DS's bricking and not working and the one thing they all have in common is that the owner owned a M3 of some type.

Indeed. Surprisingly, I found similar articles everywhere else.... I wonder what's going on....

diablo02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow thanks a lot for the replies guys and gals
wink.gif

Yeah im still deciding what the issue was. I feel very tempted to replace the battery, but in the other hand im skeptical, since it just died in a heart beat; i turned it off and it never went on again when i tried 2 seconds later.

Because my M3 Lite was messed up, i was always forced to turn my DS OFF AND ON many times repeatedly until my DS actually detected it...you know, just like an old Nintendo, lol. So maybe that caused a fuse to go bad....i had been doing this for over a year and a half now... lol.

I guess i'll take it from here, judging from all your replies... Thank you very, very much for your input!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: