PS1/2 My Dead PS2

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I wouldn't say its totaly dead more like in a deep sleep, anyway my ps2 phat stoped reading discs some time ago so I need to know where can I get a new laser and instructions on how to install it. My PS2 could also use a new housing/casing if anybody knows where I could get one that would be great and I want to install a mod chip can anyone recommend one.
gbasp.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Before buying a new laser open it up and try cleaning the one that's in there already. Seriously my PS2 is a back-from-the-dead one that someone else had given up on, after a good clean it's been running fine for the past year and a half.
smile.gif
(it's still a little iffy on blue disks and some DVDs, but has slightly more luck when it's vertical).

Admittedly I wasn't the one who fixed it, so don't ask me how
laugh.gif

Suranwrap

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
if you are going to put that much work into your PS2 you might as well pick up a PStwo slim, it will cost the same as a new case and a new laser. and a lot less work. Lasers can take over 2 hours to install and calibrate.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as above take 10-15 mins and take it apart and clean it but carefully with a cotton swab/cottonbud/cue tip whatever you call them just be careful
wink.gif

NOTE THIS WILL INVALIDATE ANY WARRENTY but if its really old and outta warrenty then it does not matter so long as your very VERY careful
wink.gif

guide here

usually a clean will work wonders if not then you need to adjust the laser caddy some have 1 cog at the back that adjusts the height and some have 2 one either side you only need to do this if cleaning the lense does not work fully!

when adjusting the caddy you just need to turn it a tiny and I mean Tiny amount one direction is up and one is down with 1 cog its easy with 2 you need to turn both the same amount otherwise the caddy will be lopsided and cause the laser to stutter on trying to load the disk
frown.gif

note also when testing to see if its working or not with the lid off .... its critical that you replace the top half of the driver with its spindle counter weight in place to stop the disk flying off when the drive spins up!

once you are happy that its loading disks fine ... check ps2 dvd game ps2 cd game (usually the blue bottomed disks are the ps2 cd based games
wink.gif
) and that dvd movies load and ps1 games if you have them are all fully loading with no skips or jumps ..put it all back together and your done
smile.gif

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome, but I still need a new case. I found some at xbox-modchips.com but those are fliptop cases, theres nothing wrong with it its just i'm not sure it that site is trust worthy. As for the modchip I picked one out from eurasia.nu i'm not too sure about them either, any tips?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sjones900 said:
so i'm guessing i'm on my own.

maby just try get a replacement TOP half of the SHELL as the bottom of the ps2 isnt that visible anyhow if you use it FLAT and not on its side
smile.gif

not sure on the FLIPTOP LIDS ?? not sure why you would want one unless you intend to use swap disks??

when theres freeware apps out there to make normal ps2 mem cards that boot backups as well as commercial cards ... then who needs to swap disks they are a pita anyhow... well for me at least
smile.gif

my word on the switching whole cases ....honestly if your not really confident of taking it all apart and re assembling the whole thing then dont bother its a mess about job with ribbon cables and other crap moreso with the old old style black ps2 phat version as theres a ribbon cable that connects the top half of the case to the lid and if you pull this off accidentally you need to take the drive out to re fit it
frown.gif

with a few that i've fixed I noticed that the silver ps2 phat and a few later models of the black phat the reset and eject buttons are built into lower half of the case/circuit board so the top is totally separate from the base so are easier to swap over or gain access to clean the laser
smile.gif

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the reason I want to change it is cause the case I have now is very beat up so I need a new one the only reason i'm mention the fliptop because its the only kind of replacement case I can find

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay