OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm relatively new to this console, and documentation is scarce to nonexistent unlike other consoles, or available information is poor-to-low-quality.

First, my PS3 is an old-ass CECHA. I haven't had any problems (yet) with it. I bought it used three-or-so-years ago, and it doesn't appear to have been opened up before, so I assume nothing has been done to the guts of the console.

Aside from having re-applied the thermal paste: what should I be using for fan settings in webman to keep it chill? It seems to idle around 70 C(Cell) / 56 C(RSX). Datasheet for the Cell seems to think 75 C is normal, but cooler is usually better.

Second, after I hacked the thing I obviously dumped my library to ISOs. The only thing that's a pain is needing to mount the discs first. On the Vita/3DS/etc we can usually convert a disc game to a digital game. Is this possible on the PS3? I'm assuming not since I can find nothing on it. This is minor, since rebug at least accelerates the mount process by making it available from the home menu.

Third, what exactly will get you banned? Or more specifically, what part of CFW is detected and how? From what I read, peek/poke and patched syscalls are a no-no, reporting an impossible version to Sony's servers is as well, and perhaps code being wrong in memory compared to proper firmware? Most explanations border on voodoo rather than actual reasons. Keep in mind I'm a programmer. A technical answer would be appreciated here. In the end I know this boils down to a PSN patcher, what I want to know is why a ban occurs precisely and what is detected.

D

Deleted User

I'll answer questions 2 and 3 because I've never played around with webman fan settings.

2. Some games may have a disk check as a anti-piracy measure and from my understanding it just mounts to a virtual DVD drive and the game thinks that's the actual PlayStation 3 DVD drive but it would be nice to convert it to a normal app file but the game might tell you to sign into PSN in order to play it.

3. The only way you get banned is if you're signed into PSN or you report any errors to Sony downloading game updates are usually safe but usually recommended to download updates on your computer and then installing them on your PS3 to be safe anytime you are signed into PSN or you send an error to Sony you'll send them information about your system even with PSN Patcher that disables some of the telemetry that is built into the PS3 you can still get banned my vice is to dual boot custom firmware and official firmware you want to play online

Last edited by ,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
2. That's not what I was asking, so let me rephrase: Can a physical dump (e.g. the format on an ISO) be set up to run from a folder in /game/<TITLEID> and launched from an icon on the XMB like any other digital game?
Anti-piracy and/or copy checks are a completely different thing and unrelated issue to the question.

3. This is what I mean by voodoo. I already know telemetry is the problem. What I want to know is precisely WHAT part of that telemetry is problematic, and what triggers telemetry to be provided to Sony.
For example, say I go into debug settings and flip off uploading crash dumps and generation of crash dumps, followed by turning off the extra syscalls in rebug toolbox. I wipe my history, then hit R2+Triangle (delete syscalls), flip the internet on and sign in. What exactly is different between a PSN patcher and this? I suspect the answer is "absolutely nothing", but seeing as none of the PSN patchers have available source code, I can't be sure (and due to lack of source, I don't trust them)

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls