Gaming Multiple files

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I was wondering if theres any difference when extracting roms from it's WinRar Zip Archive. When I extraced the Roms for Grid I have 8 files inside the file I just extracted and there all WinRar Zip Archive files. If I extract those I get the Grids rom. But my question is if theres any difference, becuase theres 8 files and some of them have different sizes than other. Another game thats like this is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's all the same archive, it is simply in several parts, extracting with any of the files extracts the entire archive
wink.gif
= the exact same file

(you can show this by moving one of the archives, if you then try to extract it will say it is missing
wink.gif
)

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so there all the same? But some have bigger files than others. Should I choose the smaller files to make more room in the micro sd card?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
when you have multiple zip/rar files in 1 rar/zip it means they chopped the file to pieces.
to extract the actual rom you still need all those seperate rar files, since winrar needs to read data from all those files.

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
keep all files in one folder, extract from one of the files and you will get your rom.. the 8 files you are on about are an archive which is the the ROM split into multi RAR files.. it's very very common so it's something you get used to.. but u need all files to get the ROM which will be 64MB unRARed

Uncrackable

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
Scene rules... every scene release you get is chopped so it can be spread faster around the world because you will have more threads for upload. For example if you get a DVD-Rip from a team (like Diamond) of 1 cd you will get 47/46 .rar files of 15 mb
smile.gif
use Winrar (for me it's the best compressor utility out there...) if it's .rar (r01, r02,... .rar) u just need to do extract the .rar file and it will auto read the others files before... if you get multiples zip, choose them all, right click and do Extract Here with Winrar
smile.gif
if you don't do this away you have to extract each zip one by one!
Hope i helped
smile.gif

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
[Flawsdraw]keep all files in one folder, extract from one of the files and you will get your rom.. the 8 files you are on about are an archive which is the the ROM split into multi RAR files.. it's very very common so it's something you get used to.. but u need all files to get the ROM which will be 64MB unRARed

Sorry, but could you make it more clear? Do I put all the 8 archives in 1 folder? But it's already in a folder. Another thing is how do I make one whole rom?

Thanks

P

pasc

ok... you do get the rar... the right click > extract to folder.... > after that you open that newly created folder click one of the files and then:

Extract here, voiala your data was extracted.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 8 files are one archive split into smaller pieces. When you extract from any of them, it automatically merges them together and extracts the file.

Each of the pieces only has part of the file, so you need all of them to extract the whole file.

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
just need to do extract the .rar file and it will auto read the others files

Good point! Always make sure you start with the .rar file as otherwise the extraction will not be correct. Important!

SFV, this is the integrity of the file. Meaning, it has something called a CRC check to make sure each individual file associated with it is correct in size and data. For example

apple.r01 CRC 40509697
apple.r02 CRC 50607080
apple.sfv - Holds the CRC numbers of the above files. You don't really need it, but if you have it you know the files should be fine.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hate when people do that because I hate having to go and find the first file to extract in order to get the entire game. I am sorry but you aren't compressing a whole lot of data with WinRAR that it will make much difference, maybe a couple of MB's at most but if it's bigger then 64 MB's, don't waste my time modifying the files so that when I go to get it I have to rename the file and extract all of the folders to get it. I have actually had downloads where there was a part of the file missing, which is the biggest reason why I wish they would not make multiple archives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative