Multiple files

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by TwinBlades, Aug 10, 2008.

Aug 10, 2008

Multiple files by TwinBlades at 7:31 PM (1,490 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. TwinBlades
    OP

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Hi, I was wondering if theres any difference when extracting roms from it's WinRar Zip Archive. When I extraced the Roms for Grid I have 8 files inside the file I just extracted and there all WinRar Zip Archive files. If I extract those I get the Grids rom. But my question is if theres any difference, becuase theres 8 files and some of them have different sizes than other. Another game thats like this is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings.

2. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    It's all the same archive, it is simply in several parts, extracting with any of the files extracts the entire archive [​IMG] = the exact same file

(you can show this by moving one of the archives, if you then try to extract it will say it is missing [​IMG] )

3. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    so there all the same? But some have bigger files than others. Should I choose the smaller files to make more room in the micro sd card?

4. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    when you have multiple zip/rar files in 1 rar/zip it means they chopped the file to pieces.
    to extract the actual rom you still need all those seperate rar files, since winrar needs to read data from all those files.

5. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    So how do I do that?

6. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    anybody knows?

7. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    keep all files in one folder, extract from one of the files and you will get your rom.. the 8 files you are on about are an archive which is the the ROM split into multi RAR files.. it's very very common so it's something you get used to.. but u need all files to get the ROM which will be 64MB unRARed

8. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Does anyone know why they have to do that?

9. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    becuase its usually uploaded in parts at a time to the net to make it quicker for people. certain file size limit to download off certain "things" aswell so it needs to be split.

10. Uncrackable

Newcomer Uncrackable Member

Portugal
    Scene rules... every scene release you get is chopped so it can be spread faster around the world because you will have more threads for upload. For example if you get a DVD-Rip from a team (like Diamond) of 1 cd you will get 47/46 .rar files of 15 mb [​IMG] use Winrar (for me it's the best compressor utility out there...) if it's .rar (r01, r02,... .rar) u just need to do extract the .rar file and it will auto read the others files before... if you get multiples zip, choose them all, right click and do Extract Here with Winrar [​IMG] if you don't do this away you have to extract each zip one by one!
    Hope i helped [​IMG]

11. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    Sorry, but could you make it more clear? Do I put all the 8 archives in 1 folder? But it's already in a folder. Another thing is how do I make one whole rom?

Thanks

12. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    ok... you do get the rar... the right click > extract to folder.... > after that you open that newly created folder click one of the files and then:

Extract here, voiala your data was extracted.

13. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    The 8 files are one archive split into smaller pieces. When you extract from any of them, it automatically merges them together and extracts the file.

Each of the pieces only has part of the file, so you need all of them to extract the whole file.

14. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
  15. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    Anyone knows what grid-mcrnts.sfv is? Whats the sfv file for? I have it for other games too.

16. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Good point! Always make sure you start with the .rar file as otherwise the extraction will not be correct. Important!

SFV, this is the integrity of the file. Meaning, it has something called a CRC check to make sure each individual file associated with it is correct in size and data. For example

apple.r01 CRC 40509697
    apple.r02 CRC 50607080
    apple.sfv - Holds the CRC numbers of the above files. You don't really need it, but if you have it you know the files should be fine.

17. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I hate when people do that because I hate having to go and find the first file to extract in order to get the entire game. I am sorry but you aren't compressing a whole lot of data with WinRAR that it will make much difference, maybe a couple of MB's at most but if it's bigger then 64 MB's, don't waste my time modifying the files so that when I go to get it I have to rename the file and extract all of the folders to get it. I have actually had downloads where there was a part of the file missing, which is the biggest reason why I wish they would not make multiple archives.