Gaming Multiplayer region compability ?

Vitali_uwu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible to play games like Kirby and the amazing mirror with two players but one with the european version and the other with the japanese version ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can grab an emulator and try if you want. Plenty of link cable supporting options out there, though VBA-m is probably where most would head.

Most games would not have lost or gained local play between regions (early on in the DS lifetime we saw a few gain wifi and other such abilities, and going back to the N64 then certain link ups to the GB/GBC required certain regions to work).
The trouble would tend to come when you have user made data transfer between regions (same reason saves might not transfer between regions even if the data itself is pretty similar), that being things like Japanese text (16 bits needed to have any decent Kanji support) not necessarily being catered to outside Japan (English quite happily fitting in 8 bit encodings).
For most simple platformers (all they have to do then being transmit locations of players, enemies, attack items, pickups and any destructible level info) then I don't imagine any issues unless one region was radically changed.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
On PC, as already stated, there are options.

Otherwise, you have Android with quite some multiplayer capable emulators.
Sadly most have issues (Pizzaboy, MyBoy!)
The best I found so far is com.hqgame.networkgba

Aside from [RealGBA] [PC] [Android] there aren't really any alternatives that are worth pursuing.
(Gericom started to implement wifi with the DS-GBA Hypervisor, that gets Mariokart GBA somewhat running, but I suppose it is on ice for now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...