Hacking Moving away from Gateway; have a few questions.

Dockock

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I'm currently using Gateway 3DS for my old 3DS XL. Its current system firmware is V4.1.10-8E.
I decided to use it mainly due to the cheat-engine functionality for my games. However, recently I have been unable to run any games with Gateway (the list of my backed up games do not appear, when I press select anymore), thus I plan on migrating away from it. I also used to use homebrew games and media-apps on my Wii a lot, so I want to be able to run homebrew as well.

I have a few questions regarding moving away from Gateway:

1. The CFW I should go with.
I have done some research, and as it looks right now, LumaCFW is a good contender for the CFW to pick now. It is actively being developed for, and it fits based on my above needs (homebrew, backuploading, perhaps/hopefully cheat engine as well?). Is this correct? Are there any well-established guides?

2. Can I bring along my saves from my GW emunand?
The firmware I am running on my emunand is GW3D 10.5.0-30E for whatever it's worth. The main-reason I want to move my saves, is because I need them to have Master Quest unlocked in Ocarina of Time (so dumb you have to unlock it). Worst case thus, I could manage without it :)

3. You cannot update the 3DS to a specific newer firmware (unless you have a game-cartridge with said firmware). The standard way to update is by going online and getting the newest. Is this stupid ATM?
The main reason I am asking is because, I've tried to follow along on the homebrew progress on the sidelines, and these days, it seems that the 11.3 firmware upgrade has made a mess for homebrew by disabling A9LH. I don't know if A9LH was a "nice to have" or "need to have" hack currently for homebrew.

Thanks a lot for taking your time!

PS. uh-oh, I guess I can help in return, if any of you by chance wants some advice on the board-game jungle and what to buy based on various needs. I am quite into that!

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
1) luma 3ds is the most used one because of its noob-friendlyness
2) yes, you can flash your emunand into the sysnand once you have CFW
3) After you install CFW, you can upgrade to latest version

You can use 3ds.guide to do it, and also you should read the stickies from the 3ds section

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also you can boot gateway if you want with CFW

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/you-don...guide-to-proper-troubleshooting.456683/unread

Oh and also, luma3ds doesnt have a cheat engine. You can use Gateway or NTR plugins

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Regarding 2), your saves are most likely tied to your GW cart, not EmuNAND. You can transfer them, but it requires a bit of legwork (using JKSM and Cart Save transfer with each game)

Exavold

eeh
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Luma3DS is widely used , because It's easy to use and has quite a lot of features.

You can acheive that with JKSM.

3. You cannot update the 3DS to a specific newer firmware (unless you have a game-cartridge with said firmware). The standard way to update is by going online and getting the newest. Is this stupid ATM?
It is not stupid as of the time I'm writing this , you can update to 11.3 using system settings safely.

As for updating to a specific firmware, you can update using sysUpdater though it's a bit outdated.​

Last edited by Exavold,

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi all,

I'm currently using Gateway 3DS for my old 3DS XL. Its current system firmware is V4.1.10-8E.
I decided to use it mainly due to the cheat-engine functionality for my games. However, recently I have been unable to run any games with Gateway (the list of my backed up games do not appear, when I press select anymore), thus I plan on migrating away from it. I also used to use homebrew games and media-apps on my Wii a lot, so I want to be able to run homebrew as well.

I have a few questions regarding moving away from Gateway:

I have done some research, and as it looks right now, LumaCFW is a good contender for the CFW to pick now. It is actively being developed for, and it fits based on my above needs (homebrew, backuploading, perhaps/hopefully cheat engine as well?). Is this correct? Are there any well-established guides?

The firmware I am running on my emunand is GW3D 10.5.0-30E for whatever it's worth. The main-reason I want to move my saves, is because I need them to have Master Quest unlocked in Ocarina of Time (so dumb you have to unlock it). Worst case thus, I could manage without it :)

The main reason I am asking is because, I've tried to follow along on the homebrew progress on the sidelines, and these days, it seems that the 11.3 firmware upgrade has made a mess for homebrew by disabling A9LH. I don't know if A9LH was a "nice to have" or "need to have" hack currently for homebrew.

Thanks a lot for taking your time!

PS. uh-oh, I guess I can help in return, if any of you by chance wants some advice on the board-game jungle and what to buy based on various needs. I am quite into that!
As you are recommended use the Guide on 3ds.guide
With this you can install a9lh and luma3DS.
Then AFTER you have finished the guide you can update to 11.3 but don't update before you followed the guide and installed a9lh or you will be unable to do it because 11.3 fixed the downgrade hax.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok