Hacking Moved from exFat to Fat32 and now emunand cfw wont start

slemiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an old Switch about a month ago and setup it up with kosmos, amosphere and hekate from this site:
https://sdsetup.com/
I have run emunand from day one but have had some issues with homebrew crashing the system, so I read somewhere that Fat32 might be better for homebrew.

So I made a backup of my sd-card and formatted Fat32 (32k cluster size).

Now when I try to boot emunand I am met with a black screen instead of the nintendo logo. Sysnand still works fine with cfw though.
So I made a new emunand, but it also gets stuck with a black screen after kosmos, atmophere and everything has shown their logos and its time to see the Nintendo Logo.

Im using emunand as files. Is there an issue with Fat32 and emunand as files? Or am I just missing something?

slemiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yepp, primary partition, fat32, with 32kb cluster.

Here are a few pics showing hekate card info, system cwf showing atmosphere booting with version number, and only a previous eshop title installed on system nand (installed before using fusee to put cfw on the system).

upload_2019-12-2_18-23-8.png

Last edited by slemiz,

AssassinHacker

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
1. Move everything off your sd card and format it to fat32
2. Only put the atmosphere files and choidujournx along with the folder for your current firmware that your switch is on ( cant post a link but search for e.x 9.0.1 switch firmware). Put memory card back in switch.
3. Flash atmosphere onto switch, enter homebrew launcher and run Choidujournx.
4. Flash firmware but when prompted select the option that isnt exfat.
5. Return all contents back to SD card
6. Boot and profit

Last edited by AssassinHacker,

slemiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Move everything off your sd card and format it to fat32
2. Only put the atmosphere files and choidujournx along with the folder for your current firmware that your switch is on ( cant post a link but search for e.x 9.0.1 switch firmware). Put memory card back in switch.
3. Flash atmosphere onto switch, enter homebrew launcher and run Choidujournx.
4. Flash firmware but when prompted select the option that isnt exfat.
5. Return all contents back to SD card
6. Boot and profit

But isnt Choidujournx used for updating? I am already on 9.0.1

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But isnt Choidujournx used for updating? I am already on 9.0.1
Yes, but there are two incarnations of each firmware: with exFat support and without ExFat support. However, I don't think changing to the version without exFat support is going to help you because it's not like adding exFat support takes away fat32 support. I could be wrong, but considering this is AssassinHacker's first and only message on gbatemp, I'd take his advice with a grain of salt. Maybe you should wait for someone else to chime in who knows what they're talking about.

slemiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit:

I gave up. Back with exFat again. Good news is that it was no problem to hop right back in with my old emunand files on exfat.

Thanks anyways guys!

Last edited by slemiz,

TheRealDarklord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I encountered the same problem like the topic starter.
I wanted to switch from exFat to Fat32 because of the possibility of corrupting the sd card contents unexpectedly. But after formatting (32kb clustersize), copying back all my files and starting emunand the cfw will not start.
I'm using atmosphere 0.10.1. I can see the boot process until the atmosphere logo and after that the screen stays black.

Is there any help?

Last edited by TheRealDarklord,
Reactions: jasonhk

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Been using exfat for months, been through thousand warnings about corruption and I can tell you you're fine with exfat. fat32 is more of an annoyance than it's safe. Just make nand backups now and then and be happy.

Anyway, I believe emummc looks for a partition, it's probably looking for an exfat partition, have you guys tried to migrate it with hekate?

TheRealDarklord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think I found something after tinkering for hours.

Sad news: I did not get my previous filebased emunand to get to work. Even a newly created filebased emunand did not work. Black screen all the time. Even after creating a second partition on my sd card.
Good news: But after using that second partition as (a new) emunand partition atmosphere finally booted again. Yai. I just have to reinstall my previous games and recover my saves from checkpoint but I'm glad that this worked.

Maybe this helps others when moving from exFat to Fat32.

@Zkajavier: using the migration feature in hecate just said that no emunand partition oder foreign emunand was found. That's true because I use filebased emunand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: :ninja:4