Moved from exFat to Fat32 and now emunand cfw wont start

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by slemiz, Dec 2, 2019.

1. slemiz
    OP

slemiz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I bought an old Switch about a month ago and setup it up with kosmos, amosphere and hekate from this site:
    https://sdsetup.com/
    I have run emunand from day one but have had some issues with homebrew crashing the system, so I read somewhere that Fat32 might be better for homebrew.

So I made a backup of my sd-card and formatted Fat32 (32k cluster size).

Now when I try to boot emunand I am met with a black screen instead of the nintendo logo. Sysnand still works fine with cfw though.
    So I made a new emunand, but it also gets stuck with a black screen after kosmos, atmophere and everything has shown their logos and its time to see the Nintendo Logo.

Im using emunand as files. Is there an issue with Fat32 and emunand as files? Or am I just missing something?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Did you format the card as FAT32, 32kb cluster, Primary partition?

3. slemiz
    OP

slemiz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Yepp, primary partition, fat32, with 32kb cluster.

Here are a few pics showing hekate card info, system cwf showing atmosphere booting with version number, and only a previous eshop title installed on system nand (installed before using fusee to put cfw on the system).

upload_2019-12-2_18-23-8.png

Last edited by slemiz, Dec 2, 2019
  4. AssassinHacker

AssassinHacker Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2019
    South Africa
    1. Move everything off your sd card and format it to fat32
    2. Only put the atmosphere files and choidujournx along with the folder for your current firmware that your switch is on ( cant post a link but search for e.x 9.0.1 switch firmware). Put memory card back in switch.
    3. Flash atmosphere onto switch, enter homebrew launcher and run Choidujournx.
    4. Flash firmware but when prompted select the option that isnt exfat.
    5. Return all contents back to SD card
    6. Boot and profit

Last edited by AssassinHacker, Dec 3, 2019
  5. slemiz
    OP

slemiz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    But isnt Choidujournx used for updating? I am already on 9.0.1

6. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Yes, but there are two incarnations of each firmware: with exFat support and without ExFat support. However, I don't think changing to the version without exFat support is going to help you because it's not like adding exFat support takes away fat32 support. I could be wrong, but considering this is AssassinHacker's first and only message on gbatemp, I'd take his advice with a grain of salt. Maybe you should wait for someone else to chime in who knows what they're talking about.

7. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Last edited by smf, Dec 3, 2019
  8. slemiz
    OP

slemiz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Edit:

I gave up. Back with exFat again. Good news is that it was no problem to hop right back in with my old emunand files on exfat.

Thanks anyways guys!

Last edited by slemiz, Dec 3, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted