OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
imackshun.wixsite.com
XP
Country
United States
Description: This was the second project I've worked on as I learned more about OpenGL. The original goal was to just recreate the battle system of Mother 3, just in 3D. In the end, I finished most of the aspects of the battle system, and implemented basic overworld functionality and placeholder menus. This is a port of the PC version, and as always, I scaled a few things down to compensate.

In this game, you can currently either access the debug overworld room or the enemy menu. In the debug room, you can walk around, interact with some objects and also fight Mr. Batty. Normally, I would have all of the enemies lined up in this room, but can't quite due that due to memory limitations. At some point, I'll make a spawn system instead of loading them all upon initializing the environment. In the enemy menu, you can select an enemy you would like to fight, and also modify the structure of your party. Some of the enemies are custom, while others are recreated from Mother 3.

Gameplay:
Played on Citra, so the pauses aren't as long when loading. Also, audio lags a bit in Citra.

Bugs/Notes:

• Sometimes text isn't exactly accurate in battle.
  • Audio lags a bit on the O3DS. Completely fine on the N3DS.
  • The game may seem like it is freezing when it is performing IO operations. It isn't so bad if there aren't too many characters in battle.
  • If an menu option doesn't do anything, it is unimplemented.
  • It isn't so frequent anymore, but the game does crash sometimes. It is likely memory related, so I'll get to the bottom of it soon.
  • Sound Battle works, but it can seem to lax at times, while other times it may be too strict. Will need some adjustments.
  • The Level Up text takes so long....
Changelog: [N/A]

Installation:
Performance on the O3DS is playable, but isn't great. Would highly recommend playing on a N3DS. Simply place the .3dsx wherever you store your homebrew and launch it from the Homebrew Channel. The game will create a folder in that directory where it stores the configuration file. Also, make sure your DSP is dumped, otherwise audio will not work.

Controls:
Global

• L + R + Start - Quit Game
Overworld
  • Circle Pad - Move
  • L/R - Rotate Camera
  • A Button - Examine, Confirm
  • B Button - Run
  • Y Button - Debug Button. Triggers a Battle.
  • X Button - Pause Menu
Debug Menu
  • DPAD - Navigate Menu, Switch Party Members
  • A Button - Initiate Battle, Adjust Level
  • X Button - Switch Amount of Party Members
  • L/R - Change Menu
Battle
  • DPAD - Navigate Menu
  • A Button - Confirm, Sound Battle Combo
  • Start Button - Enable Heartbeat

Download (v1.0 3DSX): https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qtlxlvax6qgov3/MotherFG.3dsx?dl=0

Credit:

Maintainers of devKitPro and Citro3D
@JeffMan19 for ripping animations, and also for Mother 3 Funland
Menu Assets / Music Ripped from the Game
Models and Animations are made by me

iMackshun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
imackshun.wixsite.com
XP
Country
United States
I sense a C&D coming soon™
If it does, I wouldn't care that much honestly. I don't plan on working on this any more than I already have unless I can find someone that can help me make original assets to fully make it my own. I'm only really in it for becoming a better programmer, and that seems easiest when working on projects that I'm passionate about, and that require me to add more functionality to my game engine.

In this case, I'm only interested in getting my ports of the original PC versions working and fixing bugs.

Last edited by iMackshun,
Reactions: Hinikah

iMackshun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
imackshun.wixsite.com
XP
Country
United States
In the case a C&D does happen, how does that procedure work? I'm aware of Nintendo taking action to shut down fan projects, especially Mario ones, but I'm guessing I would be contacted somehow and asked to stop working on the project, and if I don't, there would be legal consequences? Or perhaps they would ask the admins here to nuke this entire thread so it's as if it never existed? This project isn't exactly new, nor have I really been quiet about it either. I originally started on it about 2 years ago and made builds and progress updates even then. I guess if it this were to get a lot of attention, then that would give them an incentive to C&D me, but this isn't really that spectacular, honestly. At the very least, I made sure to develop it with the idea that it can be shut down at any given moment.

At this point, I think I've learned all that I pretty much need from this project, hence my indifference. (Well, I have 0 ideas on how I would get wavy backgrounds working on the 3DS due to the lack of fragment shaders. I'd imagine manipulating the framebuffer directly would be slow... Also, I could be managing memory better...)

Last edited by iMackshun,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the case a C&D does happen, how does that procedure work? I'm aware of Nintendo taking action to shut down fan projects, especially Mario ones, but I'm guessing I would be contacted somehow and asked to stop working on the project, and if I don't, there would be legal consequences? Or perhaps they would ask the admins here to nuke this entire thread so it's as if it never existed? This project isn't exactly new, nor have I really been quiet about it either. I originally started on it about 2 years ago and made builds and progress updates even then. I guess if it this were to get a lot of attention, then that would give them an incentive to C&D me, but this isn't really that spectacular, honestly. At the very least, I made sure to develop it with the idea that it can be shut down at any given moment.
Frankly, I don't think it's particularly a realistic worry. C&Ds are usually reserved for like, really popular fan projects, the types gaming news outlets report on, not small homebrew projects like this one.

Reactions: iMackshun

StarmanAlex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention that Nintendo has never shut a MOTHER fan project down, not even the MOTHER3 Fan Translation. THAT project was straight up offered to them for free and declined with no further action.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative