Gaming Motherboard/Cpu issue

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alrighty so im in a pickle, basically I've decided to buy a computer but beeing the noob I am had resulted in me asking alot of people on what to get. Now I've decided pretty much all of the parts except I'm not sure which CPU to get (the i7 860 or the i7 950) and the choice directly affects the motherboard I choose since they both use different sockets. The dude at the store says the 950's socket and technology has had more time to mature (I think it uses a 1330 something socket) and thatthe CPU is generally better. Now even if this might be the case I still want too chose wisely between motherboards so I can be able to update in the future to better parts. So I guess the question boils down to which of the socket size technologies do you guys think is gonna be supported in the future? This is a serious thread so please stay on topic. Thanks in advance guys.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Digeman said:
Alrighty so im in a pickle, basically I've decided to buy a computer but beeing the noob I am had resulted in me asking alot of people on what to get. Now I've decided pretty much all of the parts except I'm not sure which CPU to get (the i7 860 or the i7 950) and the choice directly affects the motherboard I choose since they both use different sockets. The dude at the store says the 950's socket and technology has had more time to mature (I think it uses a 1330 something socket) and thatthe CPU is generally better. Now even if this might be the case I still want too chose wisely between motherboards so I can be able to update in the future to better parts. So I guess the question boils down to which of the socket size technologies do you guys think is gonna be supported in the future? This is a serious thread so please stay on topic. Thanks in advance guys.
i7 860 - Socket 1156
i7 950 - socket 1366

1156 supports both i5s and i7s, while 1366 supports i7s and will most likely support the new i9 whenever it comes out. Not to mention that the i7 950 is a better CPU than the i7 860 with better overclocking capabilities.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Digeman said:
So I guess the question boils down to which of the socket size technologies do you guys think is gonna be supported in the future? This is a serious thread so please stay on topic. Thanks in advance guys.

If you are hesitating between those two only, go with i7 950, but i would consider i7 920 which both use LGA 1366 socket
The i7 860 uses LGA 1156 socket

Anyways, LGA 1366 is the way to go.
Just make sure your motherboard is compatible with your cpu

good luck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gong