Hacking More than a month with no reported bricks...should I get a Gateway?

D

Deleted User

Does Gateway support Homebrew/ROM Online play?

Haloman800 guy doesn't realize Gateway FW 2.2 was just released a few days ago because THERE WAS NO FRONTPAGE NEWS!!!

No frontpage news == NEWBS DONT KNOW ABOUT IT

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Haloman800 guy doesn't realize Gateway FW 2.2 was just released a few days ago because THERE WAS NO FRONTPAGE NEWS!!!

No frontpage news == NEWBS DONT KNOW ABOUT IT
There will be now that we know it's safe. GBATemp tries not to advocate updates that may not be safe for the user's system - we've covered that in the F.A.Q and recommended staying on earlier firmwares until the bricking issue is resolved.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, they haven't, or at least I've never read any information about it
We'll, it's not exactly a brick but it's more a protection lock added on 4.2 Korean wii's when the system region is changed that triggers error 003 and make the console useless if don't recover it with savemiifrii or bootmii@boot2.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We'll, it's not exactly a brick but it's more a protection lock added on 4.2 Korean wii's when the system region is changed that triggers error 003 and make the console useless if don't recover it with savemiifrii or bootmii@boot2.
So it's a user-induced brick that cannot be triggered without tampering with the system. It's the user's fault, not Nintendo's.

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slashmolder and i literally showed where it was. profi, yellows, and ichichifly(sorry if your name is wrong!) have all commented on it. seriously?

again, no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: cearp

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bricking routine has been gone since the Omega beta. It seems gateway engineers learned from the whole brick debacle and figured this kind of protection just wasn't worth the trouble and the bad press.

The bricking code is still there they just changed it. Now it gets triggered by the ROP as its own 3 stage ARM9 payload.

Too lazy to get a new picture for 2.2 or find the AES key they used but here's it from 2.1
The brick code does exist in 2.1. I have no idea why you're doubting it.
It's in the Launcher.dat at offset 0x25160 size 0xB20. AES key 0x514E7232 0xDD58D52F 0xB1D257D2 0xB65E1CD4.

Here's a quick picture of the code from that region.

f4R9VRc.png

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The bricking code is still there they just changed it. Now it gets triggered by the ROP as its own 3 stage ARM9 payload.

Too lazy to get a new picture for 2.2 or find the AES key they used but here's it from 2.1
Interesting. I wonder if mathieulh overlooked this or if it's misinterpreted - sdmmc_something doesn't exactly sound convincing. We'll see what he says, I'll adjust the F.A.Q to reflect this.

Slashmolder Million dollar question - what would be required to artificially trigger the bricking code now that, according to you, it has been modified? It would be worth to know what circumstances would have to occur to brick the user's system and if the code is in any way dangerous to genuine users. That, and if the Masterkey has been changed, knowing it would help 3DS Unbricker developers a tonne.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is getting interesting.
It's actually kind of old news. That information was posted awhile back in one of the other threads about its presence in 2.1 (can't remember which one but remember seeing it). I just read his newest post about it still being present in 2.2. In the end though, slash has even said that it doesn't seem to be triggering like the unstable one once did and said that it should be just as safe as 2.1 which is good news in my mind.

Reactions: cearp

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh :/ ordered one anyway, but I was referring to mathieulh vs other hackers
I hear you on that one!

You will not be disappointed with the Gateway (especially with the newest features.) Version 2.1 has proven itself to be stable and like I said I do not recall hearing of a single brick related to it. Even though 2.2 just came out, things seem to be going along the same way.

cloud1250000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hear you on that one!

You will not be disappointed with the Gateway (especially with the newest features.) Version 2.1 has proven itself to be stable and like I said I do not recall hearing of a single brick related to it. Even though 2.2 just came out, things seem to be going along the same way.
Yeah! Frankly amazing result, waited a bit before ordering it, but right after multirom supports was released.. I was highly tempted. Now with online support I'll enjoy it even more.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There will be now that we know it's safe. GBATemp tries not to advocate updates that may not be safe for the user's system - we've covered that in the F.A.Q and recommended staying on earlier firmwares until the bricking issue is resolved.
That's your reasoning behind not posting the update for the Gateway 3DS? How about if the news gets posted and the users can decide if they want to use the update. Why the fuck does the staff here care about what I do to my flashcart and console. Quick, take down all links to all wad managers because you can brick your Wii and Wii U.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's your reasoning behind not posting the update for the Gateway 3DS? How about if the news gets posted and the users can decide if they want to use the update. Why the fuck does the staff here care about what I do to my flashcart and console. Quick, take down all links to all wad managers because you can brick your Wii and Wii U.
Cause a number of people on this forum can't make sound judgments and end up flooding the forum with idiotic questions that could have been answered if they took the time to actually read.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a huge difference between bricking a console due to improper use of tools provided and bricking the console because your tool is faulty - in the first case it's the user's fault, in the latter the tool is faulty and cannot be recommended. This is the reason why ModMii is recommended and PimpMyWii aka BrickMyWii isn't. You can shove soggy toast into your console if that is your wish, but don't expect us to make front page posts about it.

Reactions: the_randomizer

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a huge difference between bricking a console due to improper use of tools provided and bricking the console because your tool is faulty - in the first case it's the user's fault, in the latter the tool is faulty and cannot be recommended. This is the reason why ModMii is recommended and PimpMyWii aka BrickMyWii isn't. You can shove soggy toast into your console if that is your wish, but don't expect us to make front page posts about it.
White or brown bread?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Why would I follow updates on a flashcard I don't own?
because you then go around telling people MT card does everything that gateway does.....if you don't follow the progress on all sides you shouldn't be giving advice to people

if i had one of the clone carts would that mean i should ignore all other progress and say it does everything all other cards can do?
its not like it takes more than a few seconds to see the numerous threads on gateway 2.2 being online compatible and homebrew compatible you could figure that out by just reading the thread titles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither