Hacking More than a month with no reported bricks...should I get a Gateway?

vernacular

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put off getting a 3DS flashcart until I saw multi-rom, region-free and 100% game support. Those were my requirements. I usually don't like doing software modification, exploits, rooting, jailbreaking, etc. since there is a risk of bricking the hardware, but I softmodded my Wii and rooted my phone ages ago and they're still working just fine. It can be a risky thing, but the benefits are too good to pass up. Gateway is working fine for me now after the worrisome process.

If you have the right firmware and want it enough, sure, go get one. Just don't expect much love from many of the clones' people; there appears to be a lot of animosity there.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Just want to point out that people have gotten though all the encryption and obfuscation and have still found nothing.

Source:
BkxPcGXCQAAtNgV.jpg:large

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Even nintendo already has added some kind of "brick" in their korean wii's so why not?
No, they haven't, or at least I've never read any information about it.

It's been a couple of months and there are indeed no bricks. gamesquest1 tried recreating the circumstances when bricks would occur on Omega firmwares and despite all efforts he failed, so it's fair to assume that either the brick code was refined or it's gone altogether. I haven't updated the F.A.Q with this information yet, but I'd say it's relatively safe.
Just want to point out that people have gotten though all the encryption and obfuscation and have still found nothing.

Source: Gateway Sucks
As of today, Gateway is the best FLASH solution for the 3DS - it allows running both ROM's and homebrew, it has MultiROM, what's not to like?

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I wasn't saying GW sucks; I own one and am pleased with it so far. I was citing the image as proof that the payload has been fully decrypted and that hackers have gotten though the obfuscation to the point where they can modify the code and repackage it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I wasn't saying GW sucks; I own one and am pleased with it so far. I was citing the image as proof that the payload has been fully decrypted and that hackers have gotten though the obfuscation to the point where they can modify the code and repackage it.
i find it funny that people relying on gateways work would be so childish

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Foxi4, Slashmolder has confirmed that the bricking code is still there, but does agree that it isn't going off at random like it was last time.

Ref link: #305

As for the OP: I would get one. I honestly do not think that I've heard of anybody bricking on Omega on any forum.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually Foxi4, Slashmolder has confirmed that the bricking code is still there, but does agree that it isn't going off at random like it was last time.

Ref link: #305

As for the OP: I would get one. I honestly do not think that I've heard of anybody bricking on Omega on any forum.
I'm not familiar with the man, does he represent any well-known hacking team or is he a freelancer? I've heard similar information coming from the Pokemon Project guys, but I don't generally give them much weight if they're not established scene hackers.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with the man, does he represent any well-known hacking team or is he a freelancer? I've heard similar information coming from the Pokemon Project guys, but I don't generally give them much weight if they're not established scene hackers.

He's with Project Pokemon and has been working with Bond. He was the one that actually made the the pic that YoshiInAVoid posted. Bond actually posted it on his Twitter feed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
He's with Project Pokemon and has been working with Bond. He was the one that actually made the the pic that YoshiInAVoid posted. Bond actually posted it on his Twitter feed.
I see. So nihil novi in that case.

With all due respect to Project Pokemon, I'll treat this as a rumour until proven true. ;)

No, get an MT-Card. Same features as Gateway sans the brick.
MT-Card's FPGA cannot be updated as far as I know, the cart is hardly as future proof as the Gateway is, plus it doesn't support homebrew and has worse compatibility
(to my knowledge). I'm afraid that the Gateway is the way to go despite the terrible PR slip they've gone through that should've never happened.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way there are modifications that can be done to the 3DS that will allow you to safeguard against bricks (i.e. USB NAND mod with and a Raspberry Pi).

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mis-informed
MT-lacks
proper eshop support
online play
save dumping
homebrew

Does Gateway support Homebrew/ROM Online play?

MT supports eShop (paying for games) & piracy works with a few of them, supports online play (with official cart, same as Gateway).

I'd never support a company that bricks user's 3DS's. It was deliberate, that should never happen. There's no excuse for their behavior.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does Gateway support Homebrew/ROM Online play?

MT supports eShop (paying for games) & piracy works with a few of them, supports online play (with official cart, same as Gateway).

I'd never support a company that bricks user's 3DS's. It was deliberate, that should never happen. There's no excuse for their behavior.
Yes, Gateway supports Online play and Homebrew as of the latest update. Again, the bricking code was not there to affect the customers - it was supposed to kick off against the clone manufacturers who reverse engineer their launcher, so saying that it was intentionally directed against Gateway users is a bit of a stretch. I agree that it shouldn't have happened though, the ends don't always justify the means.

Reactions: Zetta_x

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well having a legit console supports everything(bar homebrew but if you really want to preach you should be paying a dev license for that privilege too), if you feel like being all high and mighty.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
The bricking routine has been gone since the Omega beta. It seems gateway engineers learned from the whole brick debacle and figured this kind of protection just wasn't worth the trouble and the bad press.

Reactions: Foxi4

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
The bricking routine has been gone since the Omega beta. It seems gateway engineers learned from the whole brick debacle and figured this kind of protection just wasn't worth the trouble and the bad press.
I believe Mathieulh. The guy who says there is bricking code also posts pictures saying "Gateway sucks" and is likely doing it to scare off customers.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank you mathieulh, your word has far more weight than PP's in my mind, with all respect to their work in the field of NFC/NN hacks and general wireless thingamajigs regarding Pokemon. Thank you for clarifying the issue, I'll update the F.A.Q so that other users can be more or less certain that their systems are safe (they never *really* are, shoving an unlicensed device into a system is the equivalent of shoving a soggy toast into it, it's sort of the name of the game, anything can happen).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night