More retro 3DS remakes on the way? Older ones?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apart from the Stafox 64 and the Zelda Ocarina of Time, there actually seems to be more retro revivals planned for the 3DS. At this year's E3, there was a video reel of a bunch of old school NES and SNES games being played on the 3DS screen showing off how the 3D effect would work for those old games. Thought to be just an example, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime was asked whether these games would be remade on the 3DS. He responded "yes, but try not to think of them as remakes".

So in the future you should be able to expect a lot of retro remakes of old games in 3D. The games shown off onscreen included- Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Urban Champion, Kid Icarus, Yoshi's Island, Smash Ping Pong, Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, Tennis, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Mystery of Murasame Castle. That's a mix of NES and a SNES game thrown in there as well. Now there's a lot not known here to be honest. We're not sure if all of these games will be "remade/ported" to the 3DS. And we're not sure how they'll do it, whether they'll put them on some sort of handheld virtual console or package them in a retail cartridge sold in stores. It is a point of interest that polygonal games were generally the main attraction shown off for the system, as they seem to garner the best effect. It's unknown how these retro 2D games will look when redesigned in 3D. It may not be quite as simple as emulating them and distributing them as VC games. In the meantime, take the words "remake" or "port" here with a grain of salt, we're not sure how much of a remake these old games are.

More details on how the games looked-

"The non-interactive reel running on the 3DS that showed these games in 3D demonstrated how Nintendo's next handheld system can give them a little more of a pop-up book feel. It is a nice trick, though not as magical as the fish-tank-style depth seen in games such as Star Fox 64 which use polygon graphics. The most impressive 3D effect in that old-school batch on 3DS was Punch-Out. Bald Bull's fist really popped as it freight-trained toward Little Mac's face." [/p]

Siliconera on specific games-

All of the games retained their original sprite graphics with a newly applied 3D filter. Tennis had a blocky ball bounce towards the player from an opponent who was far away. Nintendo’s Table Tennis game had a floating hand that looked like was stacked on top of the screen.

The clip from Mega Man 2 was taken from Wood Man’s stage. See the fire? It appeared as if it was on its own plane in front of Mega Man. The robot wolf and Mega Man were on their own plane and the background was behind.

Super Mario Bros. in 3Dmay be the easier to explain. The 3D filter appeared to create layers – one with Mario and goombas, one for pipes, and another for background objects like bushes in the distance. The 3D effect made the pipes appear smaller, but in the distance when 3D was on.

Turning 3D off with the depth slider would revert Super Mario Bros. back to a regular NES game shown in a letterbox on the Nintendo 3DS. [/p]

http://kotaku.com/5566935/mega-man-2-yoshi...s-sorta+remakes
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/18/ninte...hird-dimension/

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know, when I saw the legend of zelda I started to wonder what it would look like. And the only thing I can think of is a 3d dot game heroes style (but that would mean they would make a semi-clone of a game that was a semi-clone of one of their own games
tongue.gif
)

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
god damn it just bring star tropics back that's all i ask nintendo... or a startropics 3, i so wanna do the catus dance.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ibrawl said:
how about the retro super smash bros
I feel that they could make a whole new one that is much better than the original.

I'd rather have the efforts of a portable smash spent on something new and wonderful, not a simple rehash.

markvn

Trophies
Website
homebrewds.websitemaker.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
_Chaz_ said:
ibrawl said:
I feel that they could make a whole new one that is much better than the original.

I'd rather have the efforts of a portable smash spent on something new and wonderful, not a simple rehash.

Well, Nintendo said sometime that they would only make a handheld version of Super Smash Bros. if it can be perfect.
I think, because the 3DS has good graphics, Nintendo already maked plans for it. I mean: Why not? They said: when it can be perfect, and with 3DS it can be perfect!

Drag0nflamez

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
markvn said:
_Chaz_ said:
ibrawl said:

Well, Nintendo said sometime that they would only make a handheld version of Super Smash Bros. if it can be perfect.
I think, because the 3DS has good graphics, Nintendo already maked plans for it. I mean: Why not? They said: when it can be perfect, and with 3DS it can be perfect!
will they also make it for DSi?

WHYYY!!! WHYY!!! WHYYYYYY!!! WHY DOES NINTENDO NEGLECT MY DSi?

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've always wanted a remake of :

Totally RAD
Ikari Warriors (either 1 or 2)
Legend of Kage
Kid Ikarus = FINALLY COMING!!!
Rambo NES
Life Force NES

these were the games I've been wanting to replay after my NES broke when I was 10....
frown.gif

Siberias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well as far as I know SNES games used many different sprite layers, so it wouldn't be hard to assign each layer to a polygon or plane in 3d and space them out. All that might be needed would be to change around some of the sprites on each layer to create a good effect for the player.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
oot, smash bros (melee?), wind waker(portable
biggrin.gif
), first zelda game remade in ocarina of time or wind waker style.

and last but SURELY not LEAST a NEW four swords game(with normal DS support
frown.gif
?

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally I believe If they remade Super Mario RPG this thing would sell even more than it already seems its going to. So many people I know love that game. Then to have it portable? That would be amazing

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marcoao said:
Earthbound is all I'm waiting for. They just need to make Mother 1+2+3
Yes, I'd love to see this collection. I'm confused as to why it was not on the DS, I'd much rather have this than Mega Man Zero Collection or the Sonic Classic Collection.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Yes!

The 3DS will be perfect for an old retro otaku like me =) hope there will be many N64 games on the 3DS as well. Like Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo T. Yoshis Story, F- zero, Mario 64, etc. =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo