Hacking moonshell sound quality not that great

MeTaL_\m/_M

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to use my ds as an mp3 player.. Only problem is that the sound quality of music when played with moonshell is not all that great.. I have nice headphones so that's not the problem. The mp3s are high bitrate and sound great when played with other devices. Is this problem from the ds just not having the greatest hardware? Or is there a way to get better sound?

thanks.

MeTaL_\m/_M

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The volume is set anywhere from 80% to 100%.. Anything above that distorts the sound pretty nastily.

I will try licks. Thanks.

I wish I hadn't stepped on my mp3 player.. I am gonna just have to pick up another one.. I don't think the ds can play music as well as I would like.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works perfectly for me, I play music through my DS speakers at very high quality. I think either you're used to incredibly incredibly high quality sound or there's something wrong with your setup. It's most likely the latter.

D

Deleted User

Do you get a message about wrong ID3 tags? I had that problem and it sounded awful. Just convert them to V1.0 on iTunes or something.

MeTaL_\m/_M

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ds is working correctly. I have tested this on a few systems. I am just a little picky when it comes to sound quality. The ds does not even come close to meeting the quality of a 40$ sandisk mp3 player. It's bearable but only until I purchase a new mp3 player.

I smashed my last mp3 players screen by stepping on it.. I forgot I had left it in my pants pocket. DOH
blink.gif

MeTaL_\m/_M

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works perfectly for me, I play music through my DS speakers at very high quality. I think either you're used to incredibly incredibly high quality sound or there's something wrong with your setup. It's most likely the latter.

High quality and the ds speakers should not be put in the same sentence. I listen to my games and music through a nice pair of canal headphones.. The difference in sound quality is INSANE.. You will notice how low quality the sound actually is for the ds once you listen to it through good speakers or headphones though. It's kind of a win lose situation I suppose.

woops double post.. =(

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
The DS just doesn't have the hardware to produce high quality sound... It wasn't designed to do it.
I guess it has a bitrate or sampling limitation that goes beyond the standard for mp3 players.
You can buy a nice cheap mp3 player or use a psp if you have one.

MeTaL_\m/_M

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS just doesn't have the hardware to produce high quality sound... It wasn't designed to do it.
I guess it has a bitrate or sampling limitation that goes beyond the standard for mp3 players.

I thought it was a hardware situation.

I am probably gonna pick up a 5gig creative micro zen.

Thanks for the response.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so everybody knows this, between licks and moonshell, moonshell has FAR BETTER sound quality. I know this because I use my DS for music in my car and the quality with licks was GOD AWFUL, but moonshell has them play perfectly fine. As far as I can tell, they play in the same quality as anywhere else. My guess is maybe you have a crappy sd card or something.

MeTaL_\m/_M

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heh, my ipod disappeared from my computer table yesterdayXXD

I would be on a warpath.

-----------------

I have used different sd cards. Varying from 1-2gig cards-- Taiwan versions and Japanese both.. Kingstons. So unless kingstons for some reason don't work correctly in an r4ds when playing music then that isn't it. Btw the sd cards play music fine when inserted into my broken screen sandisk mp3 player.

As someone stated the ds just doesn't have the hardware.. I was hoping that wasn't true.. Oh well.

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Yes this is what I thought too when I tried moonshell for mp3 playback. Even 320CBR doesn't seem that good to me (with a good pair of headphones with a portable amp attached). The PSP in comparison produces much better music compared to the DS with moonshell. I can only put it down to probably the DAC used on the DS isn't that fantastic.

pegasus21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You guys seem to have forgotten about DSOrganize. It can play MP3 too, but at what quality, I'm not sure.

I don't believe it's any different since both uses libmad to decode mp3. Unless there's some sereve limitation implemented in the integration, they should perform similar. I still believe it's the DAC that's used in the DS that's not the best.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that libmad is used in countless pc applications for mp3 decoding and they produce relatively good results so the library in question isn't at fault unless like I stated, it's the implemention in the ds homebrew.

faiyez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well, even though it's not as bad as to not enjoy it.... I do notice a difference in sound quality with moonshell compared to my brother's ipod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.