Homebrew Moonshell mono... ?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

I have a tedious job, and have taken to listening to Zelda OSTs during my long working hours..

I took my DSi/M3i/Moonshell kit and was listening to various albums, but I found that quite a few came out only in mono... (ie. the sound would only come out of one earbud, not the other)... This was only with some of the albums, the other Stereo ones run fine through both earbuds...

Anyway, when I use my ipod, the sound comes out of both channels (even if the tracks are mono)... so, my question is... Why does Moonshell restrict mono tracks to one earbud only?

Is there a way to get the same single channel to play out of both earbuds?

Or do I have to recode the songs or switch back to my ipod... I hope not... I like using my DSi...

Thanks in advance!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
so, my question is... Why does Moonshell restrict mono tracks to one earbud only?Because that's how Mono works.

QUOTE(Schizoanalysis @ Jun 4 2010, 09:14 PM) Is there a way to get the same single channel to play out of both earbuds?[/b]

Or do I have to recode the songs or switch back to my ipod... I hope not... I like using my DSi...

Thanks in advance!
Aside from re-encoding the Mono track to Stereo...
Stereo -> Two Mono + Mono -> Two Mono + Two Mono -> Stereo + Headphones chain of adapters would work.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Schizoanalysis said:
so, my question is... Why does Moonshell restrict mono tracks to one earbud only?
Because that's how Mono works.

Only if the playing software is programmed as such...

When I play the same mono tracks on my PSP, the sound comes out of both earbuds (the same channel is just repeated in the second)...

So, there is a way around it...

I'll just use my PSP untill I fnd a way around this... but I would rather use my DSi (because of the games)... & I don't want to have to carry around both...

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
twiztidsinz said:
Schizoanalysis said:
so, my question is... Why does Moonshell restrict mono tracks to one earbud only?
Because that's how Mono works.

Only if the playing software is programmed as such...

When I play the same mono tracks on my PSP, the sound comes out of both earbuds (the same channel is just repeated in the second)...

So, there is a way around it...

I'll just use my PSP untill I fnd a way around this... but I would rather use my DSi (because of the games)... & I don't want to have to carry around both...
Look at a stereo headphone jack plug (TRS or Tip/Ring/Sleeve Connector).
Notice the silver/gold plug is separated into 3 sections? That's the Tip (tip), the Ring (middle) and the Sleeve (base). The Tip (left) and the Ring (right) each represent a channel, while the sleeve is ground.
Mono jack plugs will only have the Tip and the Sleeve, because there is only one channel, left.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector...eve_terminology

By default... Mono plays out of the left channel, with the right channel either being ignored (stereo plug, stereo jack) or grounded (mono plug, stereo jack).
I cannot say for sure, but I think that in the case of a mono signal it would be trivial for any digital playback device to 'mirror' the left channel to the right (as seen on your iPod and PSP), but it has to be intentionally done that way, and since it doesn't work for you under Moonshell2, I have to assume that it was not done.

It's most likely a long shot, but you can try the 'child' update to see if that was added.
http://filetrip.net/f9923-MoonShell-2-10-S...-update%29.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: that would be crazy