Homebrew Moonshell 2 & YSmenu on a AK2i - Working

wakeuplan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
wakeuplan said:
For some reason, when I get to the 'error' messages, it asks me if I want to save things, and then I get stuck on the loading screen. I've tried reformatting, moving the rom files, etc., to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.
Did you look under the 'Proof that it works' title in first post - those are the only YSMenu Error messages I know of

The only OTHER thing I can think of - you mention 'asks me if I want to save things' - so I'm guessing you get a grey box up with '[A Yes][B No][X Cancel]' - which do you select ?

If you chose anything other than [A] I would suggest you back up all your SAV files first - & next time try the [A Yes] option to see if a new SAV file is made & if the game actually runs

You also say 'stuck on loading screen' - which loading screen ? - YSMenu doesn't have a loading screen as such - just white/black screen flipping

When I try to load a ROM for the first time, I'm prompted by the grey box you described. Regardless of my choice, the screen flips back and forth, and then settles on a loading screen that is identical to the one that appears for an instant when I autorun MoonShell from my Acekard: a black background with blue lettering that reads, "LOADING." If I choose [A], the game still doesn't work, but it does generate a save file that I can see when I plug my card into my computer. Any ideas?

codingtom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm getting no errors but loading commercial roms in moonshell doesn't work properly, only 1 of the 5 times i tried it worked and it takes a really long time.
Could someone please make a vid where i can see how it has to look when you boot a rom in moonshell. And my roms won't boot in the ak firmware too.

It's now working fine, I replaced Ak version 4.15 with the latest one, so I've got the latest moonshell (2.02) and the latest Ak firmware(4.17).

Arch now it doesn't work again, I'm getting an error that the ARM9 code is broken and I have te re-copy moonshell.nds but when I do this nothing changes.

Ok I got it working again with firmware version 4.15 but that version won't boot a lot of roms so I'm quiten this. I instal version 4.17 and use that one as the firmware.

Conclusion:
AK version 4.17 doesn't work with moonshell 2.02 and AK version 4.15 doesn't support some roms I tried ( I tried rom 1128 and some others).
I can only try to use moonshell beta 5, I will do that tomorow.

could Someone help me with fixen my problem. I think I make a mistake somewhere or something, because it's a little strange that 4.15 doesn't support such an old rom as 1128.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
wakeuplan said:
CannonFoddr said:
wakeuplan said:
For some reason, when I get to the 'error' messages, it asks me if I want to save things, and then I get stuck on the loading screen. I've tried reformatting, moving the rom files, etc., to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.
You also say 'stuck on loading screen' - which loading screen ? - YSMenu doesn't have a loading screen as such - just white/black screen flipping
When I try to load a ROM for the first time......Regardless of my choice, the screen flips back and forth, and then settles on a loading screen that is identical to the one that appears for an instant when I autorun MoonShell from my Acekard: a black background with blue lettering that reads, "LOADING." If I choose [A], the game still doesn't work, but it does generate a save file that I can see when I plug my card into my computer. Any ideas?
Ah I see - it sounds like it's freezing @ the point where YSMenu is using 'Akloader.nds' to run the ROM (about 1:20 in my video) but the blue lettering should fade to green & it sound like yours isn't
- have you re-tried DLDI patching YSMenu and also extracted a new copy of Akloader.nds ??

You say you've formatted - did you use the panasonic Formatter or Windows ?? - it's best to use the Panasonic formatter as I've heard using windows can cause problems

Can I also get some specs about your setup such as:
> What versions of Moonshell2 / YSMenu / AK2i are you using ?
> Are you using a DSlite/Phat or DSi ?
> What size MicroSd card are you using
> What game are you trying to run (or is it all of them) ?

- I see if I can get the same type of setup as you and then see if I can recreate the same problem - then I may have a better idea what's causing it

wakeuplan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it again with the updated Acekard firmware and an older version of MoonShell, and it worked!!! Thanks so much for your help. I'm still not sure what went wrong, but I'm so happy it's working!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
codingtom said:
Could someone please make a vid where i can see how it has to look when you boot a rom in moonshell There's a video on the first post - right down the bottom under 'Proof that it works'
QUOTE said:
Conclusion: AK version 4.17 doesn't work with moonshell 2.02 and AK version 4.15 doesn't support some roms I tried ( I tried rom 1128 and some others). I can only try to use moonshell beta 5, I will do that tomorow.Also on first post - it DOES already state that

'This method uses 'Moonshell 2 beta 5 version' with the latest Acekard Firmware OR Latest Moonshell2.02 Stable and an older Acekard Firmware'

so it's a known problem - I believe that Moonshine (the developer) has done some changes to the coding of moonshell that makes it incompatible with the latest firmware. There were several 'bugs' repaired between 'beta5' & 'beta7' (no idea about changes in beta6) & this could the reason

could Someone help me with fix my problem. I think I make a mistake somewhere or something, because it's a little strange that 4.15 doesn't support such an old rom as 1128.
I agree - why doesn't 4.15 work with ROM 1128 ?? - have you tried re-downloading a new copy of it & tried that - possibly your version isn't a 'clean dump' or got corrupted somehow, and that's what causing the problem

To Wakeuplan: Glad you got a working version now - but can I take a guess that when it wasn't working, you were trying latest AK2i firmware & newer Moonshell 2.02 by any chance ?? - if so, it's a known problem (as stated in the first post of this thread)

codingtom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, I've got a plroblem with the YSloader I get a message in wich I can choose 3 things after some text appeares on the screen, after doing the fix thing at the bottow of the first post it won't show any text and directly shows an error message again with 3 options but now in chinese or something.

It won't boot the games witch booted before after doing this too...

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
codingtom said:
Hello, I've got a problem with the YSloader I get a message in which I can choose 3 things after some text appears on the screen, after doing the fix thing at the bottom of the first post it won't show any text and directly shows an error message again with 3 options but now in Chinese or something.

It won't boot the games which booted before after doing this too...Can you check something for me - I'm guessing that you may've skipped a small portion of my guide in the first post

Between the 'Now to set up YSMenu' & 'Nearly there' there's a 'spoiler' that tell you what you need to do to change the language from Japanese to English
QUOTEIf you also want to use YSmenu as a 'stand-alone', you may need to change the language.
To do so edit the 'YSmenu.ini' file on the AK2i so that

LITERALS=LITERAL_JPN
;LITERALS=LITERAL_ENG

is changed to

;LITERALS=LITERAL_JPN
LITERALS=LITERAL_ENG
Can you check to see if this has been done - if not, change it & try again.
I initially thought that this doesn't affect the actual loading of the games - but perhaps this 'passes' the language to use to the ROM & where you're trying to run a 'English' Game & YSMenu is telling the game to use 'Japanese' - the game freezes up

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
codingtom said:
Thanks that works but now the loading becomes dark blue (first it is some brigther) and than it just does nothing...I'm guessing what you mean is once you've selected a ROM the screens go through the following sequence:-

> Top screen turn White while bottom screen turns Black
> Top screen then turns Black & the bottom screen turns White

If there is NO SAV file present you should then get
QUOTENo SAV file
Create it?
[Yes(A)] [Stop(B)] [Ignore(X)]
then it continues onto

> Bottom screen turns Black & the word 'LOADING...' shows up in a light blue colour
> The text 'LOADING....' then turn a darker blue

At this point the game SHOULD start up - & for some reason your game is not

------------------

I can't seem to repeat your fault - but I'll take a guess that possibly either your game ROM or your SAV file is corrupted, maybe due to the attempt of YSmenu starting it with the wrong language (although I've tried starting up ROMS using 'JAP' & it seems OK) - have you tried deleting the SAV file & trying again - or perhaps you could download another copy of the ROM to retry

Can you let me know which game (or is it all of them) that's causing the problem - maybe it's one of those games that AK2i doesn't like

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
codingtom said:
Yes, that's what's happening,
I tried these roms and none of them worked:
and some more
I think all games wont work,
That's a bit weird - apart from 3517, which I believe a lot of people have had trouble running anyway, I've had those on my card & they work OK
I'm afraid I'm stumped... the only advise I can think of is the usual tips given elsewhere

> Back up everything on your AK2i
> Format the card using Panasonic Formatter
> Reinstall the Moonshell/YSmenu etc from the first post EXACTLY
> THEN copy over the Game ROMS/SAVs

Out of curiosity - what is your combination of hardware/software etc ? perhap only a certain combo has trouble
(mine is DSi + AK2i + Moonshell 2.02 + AK firmware 4.15 + YSMenu dated 'YSMenu0903270000'+ 2Gb Sandisk microSD card)

codingtom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll try redo everything tomorow, my hardware is:
DSI + AK2i + moonshell 2.02 + AK firmware 4.15 + YSMenu0903270000 + 8GB kingston micro sdhc card.

I think I made a mistake somewhere,

I didn't understood step 8 (DLDI patch 'YSMenu.nds' on the AK2i) very good, I just dldi patched it like I did at step 6 (DLDI-patch "MoonShel2_Directboot.nds" with the Win32GUI program using the 'Acekard 2' DLDI file.)

I hope I will have some luck tomorow.

EDIT:
Tomorrow I will try using just firmware version 4.15 (with ysmenu and moonshell) because that doens't boot any game to.

CodeEight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
codingtom, you're not the only person experiencing the problem. I too have very similar problem as you.
my hardware is also very similar to yours and its always stuck at "LOADING"
DSI + AK2i + moonshell 2.02 + AK firmware 4.15 + YSMenu0903270000 + 8GB Sandisk micro sdhc card.

I've tried everything that i could think of to keep moonshell AND play games. Ill probably have to delete moonshell off and format my card.

codingtom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok I've tried using the AK firmware 4.15 only, I can confirm that none of my games booted but using ak firmware 4.17 they all do.
I think that using AK 4.17 and moonshell 2 beta 5 does work with a 8GB sd but I thougt this version of moonshell can't stop music from playing (that was fixed in beta 8 or something).

What file( or dir) in the __AK2 folder is for booting games, maybe if we use that one of version 4.17 with version 4.15 it works or can't this be done???

EDIT:
Firware version 4.15 doesn't work with my 4 Gb mirco sdhc either and the AK 4.15 file wich you could download here isn't broken because when I download it somewhere else it doesn't work either.
now I'm going to try a non HC 2gb card. I think version 4.15 isn't compatible with HC cards or something.
EDIT:
Ok the 2 GB doesn't work either I'm stuck here I think I wait for a fix of moonshell or the ak firmware.
It's like firmware 4.15 doesn't support kingston sd's and version 4.17 does.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
What file( or dir) in the __AK2 folder is for booting games, maybe if we use that one of version 4.17 with version 4.15 it works or can't this be done???
I think the 'akloader.nds' that's extracted by YSmenu is what is used for launching ROMS.

Although this is getting very weird....
unsure.gif

I've copied my AK2i setup (Moonshell 2.02 + firmware 4.15) from my Standard Sandisk 2GB onto a Sandisk 8Gb SDHC [class 2] - & apart from a problem with moonshell 'autostarting' (I had to delete the 'LASTSAVE.INI' file in the '__Ak2' folder) I could run ROMS fine with no problems (I used 3637 as my test game).

I even tried extracting the 'akloader.nds' from firmware 4.17 & replaced the existing one (remember this was extracted from 4.15 originally) on the ak2i & the game(s) still run, of course this doesn't mean it'll work on your setup(s) since my original setup worked anyway

Sorry I can't be of any more help, as I said earlier - I'm stumped

codingtom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Firmware version 4.15 isn't working in general, it only boots non commercial roms such as moonshell.
I think I will check this out one more time but if it doesn't work I'll have to wait for an update of moonshell or ak firmware.

6) Move the recently created 'akloader.nds' into the ysmenu directory on your card.
7) Copy 'YSMenu.ini' and 'YSMenu.nds' to the YSMenu folder on the flashcard

Any difference between folder and directory?
I just have to copy akloader ysmenu.ini and ysmenu.nds to the same folder right?
(It might be the mistake I made)

8) DLDI patch 'YSMenu.nds' on the AK2i
Just by using the tool right?

IT"S WORKING!!!!
I don't really know why but I used the dldi file of AK firmware 4.17 to patch and I used the menu file for making akloader of version 4.17 to.
It's strange because ak4.15 works as a standalone to but there I haven't add other files so I think I made a mistake somewhere the other time.
I'm going to try some other roms now.

And it stoped working again...

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
codingtom said:
6) Move the recently created 'akloader.nds' into the ysmenu directory on your card.
7) Copy 'YSMenu.ini' and 'YSMenu.nds' to the YSMenu folder on the flashcard
They are the same folders - it's jsut that I must've pressed Caps when typing one line & not on the other
QUOTE8) DLDI patch 'YSMenu.nds' on the AK2i
- yep - same tool (win32gui) as you used on Moonshell

- I've altered the lines now to (hopefully) make it clearer

codingtom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im posting this whit my dsi because im not allowed by my parents to be on the pc, I think Ive got it working, (see previous post). i tested it in the ak firmware where it didnt work, it does work in moonshell. I didnt test it there, i just wrote down it didn't work. so I think i got it working but aren't sure because i'm not on a pc. hope ir works grtz Tom

EDIT:
On a pc now.
I can confirm it's working for me,
at step 4 I used the dldi file of version 4.17
and at the second step 3 I used akmenu4 of version 4.17.
(I don't know wich one made it work but I think the last one because I think there is no difference between the two dldi files, I only did it to be sure it would work).
(I didn't use these files on my micro sd there I just copied the full 4.15 pack).

It works in moonshell but in the Ak menu some strange things happen.
The game won't bood if there isn't a sav and it creates a second sav.( with a nds extension(game.NDS.sav)).
This isn't a problem for me because I'm not going to use this menu any more.

EDIT:
Is it possible to hide nds files in moonshell( with the hidepath), I tried some things but it don't work, can I only hide folders.
I can boot all of my games
smile.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
codingtom said:
The game won't boot if there isn't a sav and it creates a second sav.( with a double nds extension (game.NDS.nds)...........
.........I can boot all of my games
smile.gif
Congratulations !!! - If I understand right your commercial ROMS now boot up OK (although the 'sav' problem is still a puzzle to me)

I've place your 'tip' on the first post, right near the top, for others who may have the same problem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!