MENTALDOMINANCE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings!

Just wanted to get everyone's idea on the new CANARY versions breaking games that used to work as well as rant a bit about Monster Boy.

I have been waiting for Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom for nearly 5 years now.
It has been delayed many times, for years even.
Even recently, they were supposed to release it in November but delayed till December.
Then I find out they are not releasing the PC version in December and only releasing the console versions!
They don't even have a release date for the PC version, just sometime next year is all!
This is utter B.S. !

ANYHOW... Miraculously, during the time it was released, YUZU canary just happened to be on build 1679.
I tried it and it didn't work but as everyone knows, new YUZU builds come out fast and the next build, 1680, worked!!!
It was awesome! I was actually able to play the game on the PC how it should have been anyhow if the devs weren't
screwing around, making deals with the big console companies on a game they've already delayed for years and actually
developed on the PC anyhow.

Canary build 1680 plays Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom perfectly!
As long as I shut the sound off, it's totally playable and I'm pretty far into the game already with no crashes at all.
However, every build after 1680 does NOT WORK.
I heard this is true for other games that used to work as well so I tried Super Mario Odyssey, a game that has always worked,
and it didn't work either on version 1681. I think around 1690, they got Mario working again but Monster Boy is still broke.

AFAIK, no version before or after 1680 will play Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom.
At the time of this writing, version 1696 is out and it still does not work.
I am very curious as to why this is so, was it just an accidental fluke that it works or did they do something special in the 1680
build that they have not done in any other build since? What is going on with the new YUZU canary builds?!?!

Also just want people to know that Monster Boy does in fact work on YUZU and is 100% playable, you just have to
turn off the sound (not only does it increase the speed but the sound is all messed up anyhow) and use canary build 1680.
It will go to black screen - just wait! Then the little loading icon in the right lower corner will appear.
If you see that, you know the game is gonna work! All other builds just sit at the black screen forever.

- MD -

Last edited by MENTALDOMINANCE,

MENTALDOMINANCE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a7mag3ddon: I already waited 5 years. I'm done waiting. 8)

tnecniv43208: I have not been given any other option but to play the game on the PC, I do not have a Switch.
Also, I haven't said anything about pirating. I can buy the game, dump it on a friend's Switch and use
that for YUZU. Pirating is against the rules, that's why I didn't say anything about piracy.

Actually, the game is very playable on YUZU. It's only a 2D platformer.
And I am curious as to wtf is up with only v1680 working.
Did they do something in that version that they haven't done again anywhere else?
Is it just a fluke that it works at all on that version?
It seems like it's something very simple, the difference between the game booting and not booting.
I'm gonna take a look at the changelog and see if there is anything there that only exists on v1680.
Maybe if I find it I can add it into the newer builds.

MENTALDOMINANCE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and this is under "switch emulation & homebrew", which it fits under as well.
There is a spider-web of little places here that branch off everywhere.
For every post it seems like there's 10 other places it could rightly be posted as well.

"Stickied" topics are usually general and often nightmares with a trillion posts.
It can't possibly be expected that all topics having to do with "switch emulation and homebrew"
should be stuck under that sticky, if it were, the entire main category wouldn't exist.

I created this new post as a specific reference to a specific thing, the emulation of a specific game.
Nevertheless, it doesn't seem anyone is interested anyhow so oh well. 8)

roamin: P.S. - I understand U may have just been suggesting I check that thread out. If so thanks, I mean no offense. 8)

shlv3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello,
for me the canary build 1680 doesn't work with monsterboy
black screen and crash after 2-3 mn
could you send me your version please?
thx

MENTALDOMINANCE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: MONSTERBOY FINALLY WORKING IN YUZU AGAIN!

From version 2071 forward, it appears they have finally fixed "Monsterboy & the Cursed Kingdom" again.
It's running much better than the old 1680 version, however, the audio is still messed up.
It sounds like the sound made when you select something keeps repeating constantly, it's probably
something easy to fix but considering it took this long to even get the game loading again, I doubt it's
on any of the dev's "to do" lists. Anyhow, considering the game is still not released for PC yet and has
no release date in sight, this is the only way you can play it on PC.
Just shut the audio off and it plays great! 8)

P.S. - I have tested this on Linux and Windows. It has failed to load a few times but it seems if you spam
the Hell out of START & A during loading it helps. It will eventually get through and does work however!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh boy psi posted a ltt video +1