RELEASE MonoNX - an experimental Nintendo Switch emulator for Android

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ctrninja, Feb 15, 2019.

Front-page RELEASE
    Screenshot_20190215-002811_MonoNX.

Hello there, I've been working on this for a few days and I thought I'd finally show it off!

Please note that there is absolutely no graphics, only console output! Also, it's not very fast (only runs at 15fps on a SD625) and it only runs old homebrew (e.g. first libtransistor tests and such).

Discord support: https://discord.gg/fn8VV9T
    Source code: https://github.com/Cyuubi/MonoNX

Credits:
    Ryujinx Team - For the base of MonoNX, without them this would not be possible! Show them some love over at their GitHub (https://github.com/Ryujinx/Ryujinx).
    Xamarin - For allowing us C# developers to program on Android.
    Dr.Hacknik - Logo design.

Requirements:
    An ARM64 or 64-bit x86 processor

Play Store download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cyuubiapps.mononx
    Alternative APK downloads: https://github.com/Cyuubi/MonoNX/releases
    Test ROM download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cVa5BDn1w6FNb6QEKmch2m6k67t_q5c_

Discussion (80 replies)
  1. Treeko
    This message by Treeko has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Empty post.
    Feb 15, 2019
  2. ctrninja
    This message by ctrninja has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic, reply to trashed post.
    Feb 15, 2019
  3. Treeko
    This message by Treeko has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic, reply to trashed post.
    Feb 15, 2019
  4. ctrninja
    This message by ctrninja has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic, reply to trashed post.
    Feb 15, 2019
  5. Treeko
    This message by Treeko has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic, reply to trashed post.
    Feb 15, 2019
  6. Der_Blockbuster
    This message by Der_Blockbuster has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic, reply to trashed post.
    Feb 15, 2019
  7. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Brb

*cue the many months of forgetting something existed as seen by Yuzu and Xenia at first....only to come back and see that it runs well on my new overclocked i9 64-core T-Mobile stock phone*

Joking aside, may be quite the endeavor, but I shall wish you luck with your tinkering.

Last edited by Wolfy, Feb 15, 2019
    Seelbreaker and pandavova like this.
  8. Treeko
    This message by Treeko has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic.
    Feb 15, 2019
  9. ctrninja
    This message by ctrninja has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Off topic.
    Feb 15, 2019
  10. Treeko
    This message by Treeko has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: off topic.
    Feb 15, 2019
  11. Rokutiz

Rokutiz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Lithuania
    Instant crash, Samsung s9+

Attached Files:

MaxyHasDisTo likes this.
  12. Jadedf20

Jadedf20 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Android to switch port is in development, soon we'll be able to emulate our switch on android on switch using switch homebrew, ultimate switchception imminent

13. ctrninja
    OP

ctrninja Official GBAtemp cutie

Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    United States
    Do you have storage permissions enabled? If not, enable them!

14. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
    Crash with mi mix 2s lineage 16. Storage permissions are enabled.

Attached Files:

15. ctrninja
    OP

Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    United States
    Hmm, I think other file providers causes issues. I'll look into it, thanks!

16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Cool start, keep at it! Sounds promising!! Even if it won't ever play games, debugging homebrew on Android seems useful.

17. ctrninja
    OP

Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    United States
    Never mind what I said, found the issue. Please load your ROM from root of storage, don't use the crappy documents/downloads shortcut. It will break things.

Seelbreaker likes this.
  18. Dr.Hacknik
    This message by Dr.Hacknik has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: off topic.
    Feb 15, 2019
  19. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
    Loaded from root. (Mi Mix 2S)

Attached Files:

20. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    What you are doing is pointless. You aren't going to successfully emulate the switch on arm hardware. Instead, people should be trying to find a way to run horizon natively

21. ctrninja
    OP

Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    United States
    Hypervisors on Android are nearly impossible.

TheMrIron2, SuzieJoeBob and Memoir like this.
  22. MK7Hax1811

MK7Hax1811 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2018
    Germany
    No working for me. The Test.nro (and all other downloaded .nros) gives me a loading error on Device Storage ;( for me a not really announcement that will say this will run Switch Games/Homebrews in the Future sry.

23. ctrninja
    OP

Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    United States
    Please enable storage permission in app info in Android settings and load ROMs from root of storage. Thanks!

24. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    cool project, but the switch has better specs than a phone.
    I think more than a Hello World wont load

25. Rokutiz

Rokutiz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Lithuania
    Storage perms are enabled!

Petraplexity likes this.
  26. DeMeoZee

DeMeoZee Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2016
    United States
    That's just not true. The switch uses the same hardware as the nvidia shield, and that hardware is just old. The cpu on it is outclassed completely, and iirc the gpu is surpassed by newer phone gpus. That's comparing the Nvidia shield to phones. The switch cpu and gpu is underclocked a good amount, especially in handheld mode. Really the only thing the switch has going for it is the active cooling with a fan, and optimization since it's uniform hardware.

27. iyenal

iyenal GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    All my encouragements for that!

28. Dramikei

Dramikei Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2019
    India
    Hey! I just created an account to say that you did a great work! Being an iOS Developer and having made a simple Emulator myself, I know what it takes and how hard it is to even Port one from another code base.

I want you to keep in mind, ignore the people criticizing your work by saying that a switch emulator for android is useless or that it wont ever be able to run games or other shit. Most of them probably aren't even developers themselves and thus don't recognise your effort.

But there many like me who knows the pain and recognise your work :D

And to other guys: Writing an emulator that isnt able to emulate might sound dumb to you all, but keep in mind that we developers not only code to create stuff that is 100% perfect, we code because it is what we love, the Switch Emulator for Android may be a proof of concept right now, but as Ryujinx improves so will MonoNX and probably few years down the line we might have a smartphone that would be able to emulate Switch successfully.

Also btw,
    I tried your emulator and I was having the same crash after loading the rom from the root directory.
    (Tried on an S8+ Exynos, storage permission enabled, Android 9)

Attached Files:

grey72 and Bumblecito like this.
  29. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    You're completely wrong. The Switch uses the same chipset as the Nvidia Shield. Most modern flagship phones have better specs than that.