1. Rokutiz

Rokutiz Member
    Newcomer

Lithuania
    Still
    Still get a crash, i checked permissions, it only asks to read contents from sd card but doesnt from internal storage. Maybe thats whats wrong. If not im pepega

2. ctrninja

OP ctrninja Official GBAtemp cutie
    Developer

Japan
    Apparently, the Release build is fucked, it only works in debug mode. Looking into the issue, sorry for any inconvenience!

3. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A hypervisor is for security, it's to prevent overflows and access escalation.

I think you are thinking more of an interpreter or virtual machine, and if so.... why are they impossible on Android?

4. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Yea no. That would never work. The closest we'll probably ever get is maybe running horizon on a Jetson TX1 or something

They can also be used for VMs and that kind of shit (SciresM will also be using one for his emunand implementation)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. sudoku173
    This message by sudoku173 has been removed from public view by x65943, Feb 16, 2019, Reason: Empty post.
    Feb 15, 2019 Show
  6. kromara

kromara Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I've read your replies, @ctrninja, but just figured I'd drop in to report error here as well on Pixel 2XL and Pixel 3XL. Cannot access the file in any location, including root storage. Also ensured to enable storage access. I also have a few other Google phones, including Nexus 5 and Nexus 6P, but also a OnePlus 5. Feel free to message me for requests on testing it on any of my devices.

7. mingogomes

mingogomes Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Is not working on the OnePlus 6T neither.

Attached Files:

8. garyopa

garyopa Admin @ MaxConsole

Canada
    i give you a+ for trying to do this... you never know at some point! -- it might become something! :)

9. KyleHyde

KyleHyde GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    This seems rather interesting.
    It's been a while since I've seen someone attempt to make a brand new emulator for Android.
    I wish you good luck on your project.

grey72 likes this.
  10. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

You mean like hypervisors capable of running unmodified versions of Windows/Linux/etc on an old Pentium 2/3 despite the lack of hardware virtualization support? Or even on the Nintendo DS which doesn't even have a MMU? It is either that or try taking the same approach that UltraHLE did and make native Android versions of the Switch SDK libraries via clean room reverse engineering. Here is what I found on software only virtualization on hardware that doesn't support it using a combination of binary translation/code scanning and shadow page tables though note that it is x86 specific and will have to be adapted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Software-based_virtualization

In any case, good luck.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A hypervisor and a virtual machine monitor are pretty much the same thing and it is quite possible to do them even on hardware that doesn't support virtualization (the ds doesn't even have a mmu yet gbarunner2 exists) though it is slower and can have compatibility issues.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  11. Skaidus

Skaidus GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    And Vita still doesnt work. Lmao

12. Vhestal

Vhestal Advanced Member

Philippines
    Well, this is a stretch, the sheer thought of any game even rendering on a phone would be crazy! But nonetheless I wish you lads success.

13. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    The cpu in the switch is several generations old, but the gpu is still better. Why? Because android gpu drivers are trash.

14. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

United Kingdom
    Wish you the best of luck with this. The switch is a current gen system so it probably wouldn't be 3-4 years of smartphone development until we can get decent fps. Honestly. I think the first thing the emulator should be able to run is the Horizon homescreen. (Because that's about all current gen phones can handle right now lol)

Depends on the phone. Samsung Exynos GPU drivers are absolute trash and is the main reason why Dolphin runs so slow on it. (Also the CPU has crap documentation). Compare that to a OnePlus 6T (for example) and it's probably the best device (outside of Android TV) that can run dolphin. So with Android it's a mixed bag.

Also the switch is just an underclocked Nvidia Shield Android TV. And the Tegra X1 is still decently powerful for a mobile processor. So it'll be a while before we can emulate it.

15. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    It runs well on the 6T because you disabled Store EFB Copies to RAM and another similar setting.
    Nvidia drivers dont have this issue. (My Mi MIX 2S also runs dolphin decently with that turned off)

16. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

United Kingdom
    There's also the fact that Exynos does not support ARB_Buffer_Storage in its drivers. Which is critical for Dolphins performance. Also thermal throttling and the JIT being less refined. The 6T is just better overall.

17. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Germany
    yeah, but these phones are more than 500$ O_O

18. HaXTheme

HaXTheme Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Well add Overclocking (probably just work for rooted users only) I mean it would help a littlebl bit

19. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Not if you buy a oneplus 6 or a xiaomi mi8 mi mix 2s ..etc or a pocophone

Essasetic likes this.
  20. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Germany
    maybe.... I have an iPhone....

21. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Global Moderator

France
    Don't worry about people saying it's useless because they can't play games.
    it emulates another device's functionalities, it is an emulator. it doesn't have to be playable. it feels like first release of CPS3RPCS3, it wasn't playable, but it emulated the cpus at very low frequencies, that was enough for a start.

Like said before, people should start somewhere !

Good luck on your project, I hope it'll keep improving.
    don't forget to submit it to this month's bounty :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    grey72, wicksand420 and Essasetic like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - experimental, Nintendo, emulator