Votes: 13 8.8%

• Total voters

vanillakokakola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so what do I do with ISOs larger than 4GB. Convert them to WBFS? As far as I know, WBFS files play fine from FAT32, right?

Can't wait to have this done with. I've done fine on the softmodding part but the external hard drive part is frying my brain.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Yep, convert ALL games to .wbfs - this strips them of garbage data so they are much smaller - if a game is still over 4gb it is split. Works exactly the same in the loader as a unsplit game.

.wbfs play fine from FAT, yep.

Using FAT will mean no need for "iso/wbfs managers" (unless you want to use them) and will allow you to defrag as and when needed.

vanillakokakola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
Yep, convert ALL games to .wbfs - this strips them of garbage data so they are much smaller - if a game is still over 4gb it is split. Works exactly the same in the loader as a unsplit game.

.wbfs play fine from FAT, yep.

Using FAT will mean no need for "iso/wbfs managers" (unless you want to use them) and will allow you to defrag as and when needed.
Awesome. My next question is how to convert them. It looks like Wii Backup Manager will do that, but will only convert to WBFS if I transfer it to a WBFS drive? Is there another program I can use?

edit - Nevermind, it did convert it! Thanks so much for all your help, you guys are AWESOME

vanillakokakola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still having an impossible time formatting my hard drive to WBFS (which I ended up having to do since the Wii can't read the drive as it is now). Haven't been able to format them in WBFS, Wii Backup Manager, or using Configurable USB on the Wii itself.

Any advice? No matter what happens, I get some sort of error message about the drive not being able to be formatted. I've tried formatting the partition from FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and unallocated space.

One BIG problem I've noticed is that I have two partitions, one 125GB and one 175GB, but when Configurable USB (or USB Loader GX, which I've also tried) loads it up, it reads it as one 300GB partition. In addition, Wii Backup manager reads one drive as 11.72 GB (the size of my laptop's backup hard drive), and the other as 171 GB (the size of the FIRST partition)

Any advice? This is where I hit a dead end during my last attempt as well, and I'm running out of ideas.

edit - got it formatted with Configurable USB, then ripped Monster Hunter Tri to it through the Wii, but when I plugged it back into my computer, one partition opens fine, but the other (which has Monster Hunter Tri on it) says it needs to be formatted before I can use it. This partition also doesn't show up in WBFS or Wii Backup Manager now.

smurphyzeke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I updates to rev19 a few days, now only half of the .wads I try to install don't work, just gives me an error. The majority of the wads are Nintendo games, don't know if that matters.

I'm on 4.2 and upgraded from rev17, which let me install any wad without an error. I even downgraded back to rev17 after installing 19 and it still didn't install the same games. Also tried WAD Manager 1.4, 1.5, and 1.7, same error with all of them.

First time I installed rev19, I used internet connection, that's when the errors started. I also used ISO38-8367.wad to install rev17 and rev19 the next few times.

SonicDaMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Games had lots of problems and crashes. Reupdated 4.2. Custom theme was gone, started off not reading any discs, not even originals. After lots of reinstalling IOS 36, 249, fakesigning, etc, now my Wii seems to be stuck with no usable IOS. Great.

Even now using this guide, I get error ret-1 when I try to install a WAD. What should I do?

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
use pimpmywii to have it check and make sure you have every thing you need if you don't it will download what you need and install it

SonicDaMan said:
Games had lots of problems and crashes. Reupdated 4.2. Custom theme was gone, started off not reading any discs, not even originals. After lots of reinstalling IOS 36, 249, fakesigning, etc, now my Wii seems to be stuck with no usable IOS. Great.

Even now using this guide, I get error ret-1 when I try to install a WAD. What should I do?

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
smurphyzeke said:
So I updates to rev19 a few days, now only half of the .wads I try to install don't work, just gives me an error. The majority of the wads are Nintendo games, don't know if that matters.

I'm on 4.2 and upgraded from rev17, which let me install any wad without an error. I even downgraded back to rev17 after installing 19 and it still didn't install the same games. Also tried WAD Manager 1.4, 1.5, and 1.7, same error with all of them.

First time I installed rev19, I used internet connection, that's when the errors started. I also used ISO38-8367.wad to install rev17 and rev19 the next few times.

Use MMM to install and patch IOS36. Press remove all stubs.Then download the modify.zip and install all the cIOS wads in the wad folder.

MrGreg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero,

Thanks for this guide. It is very useful. Could you please update the cios pack to contain the new Hermes 5.1. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if I have Wii 4.0 with bootmii and Homebrew channel installed,

Can I just follow this guide and not install stub IOSs. Then proceed to reinstall Homebrew channel once I'm done?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
@trumpet-205 there is a step in the modify section where you yourself make sure that any stub ios are removed.

What I mean is that since you going to remove stub IOS anyway, is it necessary to install them in the first place?

smurphyzeke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riley said:
smurphyzeke said:

Use MMM to install and patch IOS36. Press remove all stubs.Then download the modify.zip and install all the cIOS wads in the wad folder.
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I'll probably just redo the whole hack process as I used a different one a few months ago.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
transam81 said:
@trumpet-205 there is a step in the modify section where you yourself make sure that any stub ios are removed.

What I mean is that since you going to remove stub IOS anyway, is it necessary to install them in the first place?

There is no point in the guide where you install stubs.

Any cios you see in the guide is a working one not a stubbed one

Goobis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Noob when it comes to Wii hacking and I have a small question for the peanut gallery.

I just hacked my new black wii with the aid of xzxero softmod guide(which rocks by the way), Bootmii, Priiloader ect.. Got CFGv56 in as my loader and the homebrew broswer install. Have had no problems so far, which amazes me since according to my track record I should have burnt the house down by now. Loaded a couple of test games and they worked fine. My only question is this, I read somewhere that if you play games from different regions(which is one of the top reasons I'm moding this) say NTSC-J with my wii being NTSC-U you could banner brick the wii unless the iso was patched with something like Wiu. But doesn't the Priiloader take care of anything region specific, and wouldn't it also require install a channel of some type to banner brick it, or am I missing something here.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goobis said:
Hi Noob when it comes to Wii hacking and I have a small question for the peanut gallery.

I just hacked my new black wii with the aid of xzxero softmod guide(which rocks by the way), Bootmii, Priiloader ect.. Got CFGv56 in as my loader and the homebrew broswer install. Have had no problems so far, which amazes me since according to my track record I should have burnt the house down by now. Loaded a couple of test games and they worked fine. My only question is this, I read somewhere that if you play games from different regions(which is one of the top reasons I'm moding this) say NTSC-J with my wii being NTSC-U you could banner brick the wii unless the iso was patched with something like Wiu. But doesn't the Priiloader take care of anything region specific, and wouldn't it also require install a channel of some type to banner brick it, or am I missing something here.

Yes if you have priiloader set to block disc updates then you are safe.

JonesN7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the "Priiloader" part was a little unclear with what I was seeing on my wii screen. What I did was first I choose "Priiloader" from the homebrew main menu (right under MMM). Then I got a warning message and i pressed a/+ to intsall priiloader as it told me. Then I went into MMM, press 2 right away, and chose the first option, which said it would let me edit the priiloader hacks. Then i chose the hacks that was recomenden.

Would that seem like a logical and right way to do it? Should the hacks I enabled be in use now? Thanks.

Finally I would like to give xzxero a great big huge thanks for this guide.
smile.gif

edit:
PuNN: What kind of SD card did you use ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: WUT?! No Quarter Pounder w/Cheese? :sad::cry: