Gaming Modding a NDS game on PC

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
How can I mod a game like, YuGiOh and change the names of them all the pictures the definitions att and deff and stuff, Because I would love to make my own type of YuGiOh, so please how do I mod a NDS game on PC

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We have a big rom hacking section http://gbatemp.net/f41-nds-rom-hacking-and-translations where this is probably better suited but OK.

First I very much doubt there is a guide to doing all this let alone a nice graphical program so you are probably getting your hands dirty in a hex editor. I do however recall there being save editors and although I very much doubt things will be defined in the save it will allow you to change things you own to cut down on time taken actually playing the game to figure it all out.

Text editing is a fairly common thing and although it can be tricky with some engines and quite tedious on occasion as well- you find out how a game stores the text and beat an editor into shape for it. You get to figure out the encoding of it (0001=A,0002=B...... and so forth) as well as how the game assigns it to what section (pointers- think the contents page of a book or fixed length which is likely in this case- you have say 20 characters to get it all done in. If the game stores the names as pictures (common enough for a presumably quite low text/art driven game like this) you instead get to edit pictures.

Stats are a different matter and there are many ways of storing them - this is where the save editor came into play. By changing the cards available you can hopefully change the memory (I doubt all the data will be in memory all the time but it might be possible). I imagine there is some form of database of values somewhere in the rom (or several). You get to find it, figure out how it is put together (it might be a binary database and it might be a full nice to look at XML type affair) and mod it. However leaving you with that is not very nice so I will point you at a pokemon game which I imagine is the sort of thing you will end up looking at http://www.pipian.com/ierukana/hacking.html

I will also say depending on how the game is coded this might (read probably will) only be suitable for play against another human. Consider chess algorithms do very well these days but computationally speaking their complexity is far lower than go (a well studied problem in computing) and card games are a cut above that even (total cards- I am guessing the game has a somewhat lower count than real life, the various card attributes, sacrifices and beyond- have a read of some of the stuff done to try and allow magic the gathering on XBLA to work) all mean on the DS it is likely a highly simplified algorithm or maybe even a lookup table of sorts that happens to work well enough (I am guessing if there are complaints of weak AI, some strategies you can use against them/study of their play or sharp limitations on your ability to make a deck and mod it vs real life this will be the reason). You could edit the AI as well but frankly if you are asking this question you will have several months learning at least (some might pump it up into the years range) to pull this one off (ai theory, card game theory and ARM/DS assembly level coding not to mention a way to combine the three).

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks man
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what's 401k?