Modders Fix FFXIII PC Port's 720p Lock

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
BUT they could've easily made it simply audio only or even put it as free DLC pack for those wanting it.
People did want japanese voice acting, they didn't want 20 GB of extra space taken.

If it's DLC, it wouldn't be free.
Capcom and SE do the sleazy "foreign dub as paid DLC" all the time in Japan even if the Western build has dual dub built in. People complained about the one time JP audio being DLC in a Western release (free first month, 15$ later) for FF XIII-3 and that one bombed, hence why SE is putting the extra effort here.
Incidentally, this particular PC port here doesn't have dual dub in Asian regions.

I agree about the size though, something went wrong or they just didn't compress the audio/videos. At this point I find it expected that SE wouldn't go through the effort of fixing the various graphical effects that would be broken by resolutions higher than 720. It's a lazy, minimum effort port. Better to keep expectations in check (and that also applies especially for the iOS DQ ports, who are all in some capacity (save for the first two games) inferior to the original)

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
As someone who owns a Hacked PS3, I'd still prefer this on my PC. 50GB isn't much for a mechanical drive. ME2 is 20GB with all DLC. Besides, I highly suspect that this game has a built in loading timer. Mass Effect 2 and 3 took just as long to load on my solid state as well as my 7200RPM.

I hope they remake VI into 3D and release it on the PC. I've given up on VII getting a decent upgrade remake. VIII and IX would be good too, just for completeness. X and XII would also be nice. Tired of playing them on an emulator... at 1080p.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Capcom and SE do the sleazy "foreign dub as paid DLC" all the time in Japan even if the Western build has dual dub built in. People complained about the one time JP audio being DLC in a Western release (free first month, 15$ later) for FF XIII-3 and that one bombed, hence why SE is putting the extra effort here.
Incidentally, this particular PC port here doesn't have dual dub in Asian regions.

I agree about the size though, something went wrong or they just didn't compress the audio/videos. At this point I find it expected that SE wouldn't go through the effort of fixing the various graphical effects that would be broken by resolutions higher than 720. It's a lazy, minimum effort port. Better to keep expectations in check (and that also applies especially for the iOS DQ ports, who are all in some capacity (save for the first two games) inferior to the original)
I don't really see the issue with paid DLC for different language tracks. Things like licensing can be surprisingly expensive.
And that's why i always say japanese are worst coders in the world.

seriously though, spent few hours today dealing with issues with visual novels it's not even funny anymore... i just feel like facepalming.
Not every port by Japanese developers is shit, and there are also shitty ports by western devs.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't really see the issue with paid DLC for different language tracks. Things like licensing can be surprisingly expensive.

Maybe but being used to Japanese voice over as a option that is built into the game it's hard for me to pay extra money for the original voices.
Squenix is really just capitalizing on being the biggest among them all.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not every port by Japanese developers is shit, and there are also shitty ports by western devs.

exception that proves the rule ;)
Seriously though, i've played enough asian games to give up on their code and shit that's seen as standard for rest of the world. I tend to joke i'm a polish person who uses english operating system with japanese locale. And only last one is out of necessity not comfort.

Besides it's not just their code, controls ? i think i've nearly broke my finger on god's eater burst, and that's just one of many. It seems it's something with their superiority complex and xenophobic culture but when it comes to games and japanese devs i can't think of other reaction than facepalm when it comes to technicals.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that's why i always say japanese are worst coders in the world.

seriously though, spent few hours today dealing with issues with visual novels it's not even funny anymore... i just feel like facepalming.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has a stellar PC port, by a studio who'd never worked on PC before that, no less. I think it's just a matter of mindset; Square Enix's PC ports are crappy because Square Enix really doesn't care. Some studios, like Capcom, know they're not equipped to do a good job and outsource it (every Capcom game on PC for a few years has been ported by QLOC, who have done a consistently good job). I think, just like in the west, it's simply a matter of how much they care.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
exception that proves the rule ;)
Seriously though, i've played enough asian games to give up on their code and shit that's seen as standard for rest of the world. I tend to joke i'm a polish person who uses english operating system with japanese locale. And only last one is out of necessity not comfort.

Besides it's not just their code, controls ? i think i've nearly broke my finger on god's eater burst, and that's just one of many. It seems it's something with their superiority complex and xenophobic culture but when it comes to games and japanese devs i can't think of other reaction than facepalm when it comes to technicals.
Note that if a game was never intended to be played outside of Japan anyway (like most fan translated visual novels) it really doesn't matter if it only works with Japanese locale. Only when a localized game needs it does it become a problem.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has a stellar PC port, by a studio who'd never worked on PC before that, no less. I think it's just a matter of mindset; Square Enix's PC ports are crappy because Square Enix really doesn't care. Some studios, like Capcom, know they're not equipped to do a good job and outsource it (every Capcom game on PC for a few years has been ported by QLOC, who have done a consistently good job). I think, just like in the west, it's simply a matter of how much they care.

Like i've said there are exceptions. Still when we look at west even companies like ubisoft which i consider a great example of not understanding gamers don't screw that much.
I just wish japanese devs would get a grip, fps lock ? resolution lock ? that's sad even for a crap port, not to mention there's ton of other stuff that makes their games annoying, crappy controls ? cheap deaths? forced long grinding to prolong game ? battle entering animations in jrpg that are unskippable and take friggin long ? long unskipable animations? Bad dubbing? Idiotic region locks? Releasing game in europe half year after north america when there's no visible difference at all? Crazy bugs and issues that defy any logic and common knowledge? that's just a few issues that come to my mind that seem to be a damn common when it comes to japanese games.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
FFXIII is just a bad game, they should have ported IX or X.

Well that's true as well... actually i'm amazed it had sequels, aside from graphics this games was seriously bad, i pretty much stopped forcing myself to play at some point, my forehead hurt way too much from facepalming myself with gamepad in hand.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FFXIII is just a bad game, they should have ported IX or X.
Can you tell me whats so great about X in comparison to XIII? I been trying to beat it for months but keep loosing interest every time.
Well that's true as well... actually i'm amazed it had sequels, aside from graphics this games was seriously bad, i pretty much stopped forcing myself to play at some point, my forehead hurt way too much from facepalming myself with gamepad in hand.

Squenix had money problems and sequels were simply Cheaper.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Which is why I stopped caring for FF after IX.

Can you tell me whats so great about X in comparison to XIII? I been trying to beat it for months but keep loosing interest every time.

Squenix had money problems and sequels were simply Cheaper.

Addendum, IX is better than X in every way possible.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
regarding ffx, might be my nostalgia glassess but i'm quite sure i didn't facepalm as much, well not to mention it wasn't an undercover 2d side scroller ;)

ff8 was the best for me, but then again it was my first ff.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
regarding ffx, might be my nostalgia glassess but i'm quite sure i didn't facepalm as much, well not to mention it wasn't an undercover 2d side scroller ;)

ff8 was the best for me, but then again it was my first ff.

That's the thing. Having 0 nostalgia at all and putting both games side by side both look identical to me. The one is just older than the other and requires more player input.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
X at least had an enthralling postgame with sphere grid remodelling, arena bosses, dark aeons, etc. XIII had a greater emphasis on the main storyline and less content outside of it. And IX, while having a fantastic fairytale-like atmosphere, almost completely lacks character customization, unlike VII or VIII before, or X and XII (especially International Zoidiac) after. And battle framerate is even worse than in VII, VIII and IV DS (is that even possible?)

And the whining about the PC version is in my opinion, mostly unfounded. The visuals and framerate are solid, with a gamepad it controls just like on console, and there aren't any glitches or crashes as far as I've seen. The graphic options are indeed missing but as this topic says, it was resolved pretty quickly. My only real gripe is the immediate exit when pressing escape, but that can be solved with a quick patch within days.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland

Many games offer HD textures and audio as seperate download because they would make download super large and not everyone wants them as they sometimes require some horse power to even display. Few examples are Sleeping Dogs and Shadow of Mordor, you simply go to store page and click download from free DLC and you have ultra textures.
Same could be applied here. Making it seperate free DLC would make the game much smaller to download for those who won't wish to japanese dub.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol at those bashing Japanese developers with xenophobic mindsets.

So criticizing Japanese developers is xenophobic now?

I'm certainly no fan of Ashtonx and his annoying fedora tipping but he's criticizing Japanese games for lacking basic PC port features, not "lol those dirty nips are so dumb."

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So criticizing Japanese developers is xenophobic now?

I'm certainly no fan of Ashtonx and his annoying fedora tipping but he's criticizing Japanese games for lacking basic PC port features, not "lol those dirty nips are so dumb."

I think he meant the fact i suggested japanese xenophobic tendencies might be the reason they seem to be unable to adapt to international standards ;)

Though i get your point there's a lot of fanbois who defend their beloved games completely blind to their faults. I love japanese games myself, loved them since times japanese pretty much ruled the gaming industry. I criticize those games because i care about them, otherwise i wouldn't bother wasting my time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.