Gaming Homebrew Mod Moon bricked my SSB3DS cartridge

kuro0628neko

My username gives me a pass
Member
Joined
May 7, 2023
Messages
336
Reaction score
461
Trophies
0
XP
1,787
Country
United States
Howdy internet. I opened Mod Moon for the first time in a long time simply because I hadn't opened it. My JAP SSB3DS cartridge was in my N3DS at the time, and I got all sorts of error messages since there were no mod files available for MM to read. I tried closing MM, but after a minute of waiting with the "software is closing" message (albeit in Japanese) on my N3DS, I decided to reboot through Rosalina.

Since then, I get the same error message at launch:

20230511_170401.jpg


I am totally stumped at what I can do to to revert things back to how they were. When I put the cartridge in a 3DS (which currently has no SD inserted), the game loads just to tell me I need to click the home button to update it. So it does seem not all hope is lost.

Any ideas to remedy this would be greatly appreciated. I'm frustrated after over an hour of troubleshooting on my own!!
 
Howdy internet. I opened Mod Moon for the first time in a long time simply because I hadn't opened it. My JAP SSB3DS cartridge was in my N3DS at the time, and I got all sorts of error messages since there were no mod files available for MM to read. I tried closing MM, but after a minute of waiting with the "software is closing" message (albeit in Japanese) on my N3DS, I decided to reboot through Rosalina.

Since then, I get the same error message at launch:

20230511_170401.jpg


I am totally stumped at what I can do to to revert things back to how they were. When I put the cartridge in a 3DS (which currently has no SD inserted), the game loads just to tell me I need to click the home button to update it. So it does seem not all hope is lost.

Any ideas to remedy this would be greatly appreciated. I'm frustrated after over an hour of troubleshooting on my own!!
Software can not brick a rom
 
Last edited by Shadow#1,
the ROM is the chip (or part of a chip) holding the software of a cartridge, a cartridge is the holder of the chips and electronics needed to the console read the software on the ROM.
My bad.

That being said, what can I do to fix the ROM then?
 
ROM stands for read-only memory, all DS cartridges cannot be rewritten (except for the save chip).
you are completely right, what is more normally on the wild are the EEPROMs and similar (electronic erasable and programmable Read Only Memory.)

there is a set of nintendo Cartridges which get erased if you don't use them on a certain time, even if you think you have a "ROM" chip on it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SylverReZ
you are completely right, what is more normally on the wild are the EEPROMs and similar (electronic erasable and programmable Read Only Memory.)

there is a set of nintendo Cartridges which get erased if you don't use them on a certain time, even if you think you have a "ROM" chip on it.
Most typical cartridges use a OTP ROM (one time programmable) meaning that it can only be written once and can never be erased and rewritten once its on there.
 
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza
Try the card on another 3DS. If it's still crashing, try and delete all save data from the cart. If that doesnt work, then the cart is likely done.
It does open on my other 3DS (not an N3DS). I just inserted a dummy sd card into it so it can update the game to see if it's playable there. But it seems likely that I can play it on my other 3DS… which means there is something I need to fix on my N3DS' sd card, I imagine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: impeeza
It does open on my other 3DS (not an N3DS). I just inserted a dummy sd card into it so it can update the game to see if it's playable there. But it seems likely that I can play it on my other 3DS… which means there is something I need to fix on my N3DS' sd card, I imagine.
exactly
 
Okay……… Saying "exactly" doesn't do anything helpful lol.
Post automatically merged:

After the update FINALLY finished on my 3DS, the game is running just fine. So what do I do to fix how it runs on the N3DS where the original problem occurred?
 
Last edited by kuro0628neko,
Okay……… Saying "exactly" doesn't do anything helpful lol.
Post automatically merged:

After the update FINALLY finished on my 3DS, the game is running just fine. So what do I do to fix how it runs on the N3DS where the original problem occurred?
Remove any mods effecting it running
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted