Gaming MMBN 5 for DS?

DeepFriedAsian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I heard that Mega Man Battle Network 5 was just a port or something from the GBA version, but if someone is new to the series, would it be a good game?

Also, I'm wondering, how does the game play? Like in battles, what do you do?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New to the series: definitely.

Battle wise most of the time (there is a slight tweak at some points) you are battling on a 9x9 grid in real time (which may grow, shrink or become altered in some way: broken sections, rock, grass, healing.....) with your enemies on an adjacent 9x9 grid and every so often you get to choose some weapons from your "deck" (you have a blaster always) that you set up when not in battle, different weapons may also have nice effects and enemies may be resistant to damage in some manner. Personally I found it quite refreshing from turn based stuff.
Out of battle is it a standard isometric RPG with two worlds: machine world and human world (human does not have any battles per se (5 has a mini game at one point) but they can be declared if you speak to certain people a la pokemon), you talk to people, buy stuff, find stuff.
Basically just grab one of the GBA versions and fire up an emulator.

I also suggest you replace the English sounds with Japanese as the English dub is awful:
http://www.sosuke.com/ezflash/viewtopic.php?t=457

cutter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played the GBA version, but not the DS one.

If you're a newbie, I definitely recommend you try it out. If it sounds confusing, don't worry... The game starts off with a great tutorial that'll ease you into it. It's a great RPG, and'll last you 20-30 hours.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro