MKWii: Cleaning discs

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Allanbuzzy, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    I was deciding on running Wiimmfi on my copy of Mario Kart Wii, however, when I did so, the Game disc error came up, and I searched online and apparently people say I need plain, white toothpaste, but I don't have enough money to get it.

Yes, its cheap, but come on, wasting money on toothpaste that I barely will use?

I have a Colgate Total blue toothpaste tube, which I used on my disc because the game disc had way too many scratches, but it didn't work and the scratches were still there.

So is there any alternative to this "cleaning discs" issue I am having?

2. morvoran

morvoran GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

You could use baking soda and water to make a paste which is like a fine grit sandpaper to buff the scratches out. That is basically what the toothpaste is for as well. You'll have to use something like a toothbrush (which you might not own).

Last edited by morvoran, Jul 1, 2016
    Raylight likes this.
  3. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Another disc cleaning trick is wiping the disc with the inside of a banana. And by inside, I don't mean peeling the banana, but breaking it in half.

4. Red9419

Red9419 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2014
    Isn't tooth paste like 1$. Anyways i dont think that will clean it if the blue one didn't. Try alchohol.

5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    If you can try to see if you can dump the mario kart wii disc using usbloader gx, if it works you should be able to play the game that way.

6. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    Does USB Loader work with SD Cards? I tried looking for a PAL Mario Kart Wii ISO, nothing.

7. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    It works with both sd cards and usb.

8. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    Okay. So is there a PAL Mario Kart Wii ISO or do I have to buy the game again in PAL?

9. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    If the disc you have is not scratched to the point where it is unbootable maybe usbloader gx will read it and you can rip the game to a sd card or usb. Also if you do go searching for the game it has to be in .wbfs formatnot .iso. If it is in .iso you will need to convert it from a .iso to a .wbfs file.

10. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    Well, the game does load into the health and safety bit, but then it shows the Disc error.

11. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Ok, if you don't have usbloader gx then get it from here.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1115

On the page look for the username "Cyan" and near the like, quote, and reply buttons you should see something called "USBGXr1260". Click on that to download it and set it up on the wii and try to dump the game using it. If it does not work you can use a program on pc called imgburn to make a backup of the mario kart wii disc and then use a program called wiibackup manager to convert the .iso file to a .wbfs file.

12. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    How do I dump my game on this program?

13. Steve Antony Williams

Steve Antony Williams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    Some of us have a proper disc cleaner/repairer :P

14. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    On the usbloader gx main menu on the far lower left hand corner you should see a plus symbol "+". Click on that and it will ask you where you want the game installed, main path, or sd path. Choose sd path.

15. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    Okay, thank you :)

But does this basically convert it into ISO? I need to make it ISO to get it working on Wiimmfi.

16. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    usbloader gx has a built in option to use wiimmfi or altwfc online servers without having the game be in .iso format or having the game patched.

17. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    So how do I choose which? Do I just go into Options, then change servers to Wiimmfi?

18. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    In the settings for each separate wii game go to "settings", "game load" and scroll down until you see the option that says "private server" and click it until it changes to "wiimmfi.de" and click save before loading up the game.

Last edited by cvskid, Jul 1, 2016
  19. Allanbuzzy
    OP

Allanbuzzy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2015
    Okay, so I have put in the disc, followed the instructions and it said "Error: Failed to initialise the USB storage device"
    I thought you said you could with an SD Card.

20. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I believe you need to change a setting