Miyamoto is a dumbass and killed Paper Mario

Phenj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
maybe not everyone knows, but Paper Mario Sticker Star during the early stages of development was supposed to be a real successor to the TTYD, but then Miyamoto came and said: "UHMM NO THIS IS TOO GOOD, please kill it with fire and make an empty game". Thus, PMSS was born.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I just finished a re-playthrough of Super Paper Mario right as I saw this thread, so that's fitting. I feel like the sort of destruction of the Paper Mario series is one of Miyamoto's worst choices. In a career full of success, he really did botch that. Supposedly the reasoning was because the Mario & Luigi games offered RPG combat, so they didn't want Mario Story/Paper Mario to be too similar, but that's such a weak reason.

Sticker Star was a horrible game, start to finish. It lacked the interesting writing that made SPM good, it lacked the interesting combat that made TTYD good, it lacked actually, anything interesting. A disappointment on all fronts.

The loss wouldn't sting as much IF the M&L series didn't take a sharp decline in quality, as well.

Reactions: Phenj

Phenj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Whatever, bring your salt to other place
Sticker Star wasn't that bad, but made normal fights useless
You are wrong, Sticker Star wasn't bad, it was TERRIBLE.
It was an rpg turn based battle, literally the most important part of the gameplay, and it was COMPLETELY pointless since you didn't gain ANYTHING from battles.
And the story, oh boy, empty. just empty

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just finished a re-playthrough of Super Paper Mario right as I saw this thread, so that's fitting. I feel like the sort of destruction of the Paper Mario series is one of Miyamoto's worst choices. In a career full of success, he really did botch that. Supposedly the reasoning was because the Mario & Luigi games offered RPG combat, so they didn't want Mario Story/Paper Mario to be too similar, but that's such a weak reason.

Sticker Star was a horrible game, start to finish. It lacked the interesting writing that made SPM good, it lacked the interesting combat that made TTYD good, it lacked actually, anything interesting. A disappointment on all fronts.

The loss wouldn't sting as much IF the M&L series didn't take a sharp decline in quality, as well.
100% Agree.
SPM started the death of the Paper Mario series, but at least it had a good story. That's it.
Sticker Star HAD NOTHING.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't mind sticker star, up until about an hour in where I got stuck in one area and had no clue how to progress. Never got any further, and I dont plan to either.

This was my first paper mario game, other than the one on the Wii (which wasnt bad, even though I was too young to understand any of it), so I didnt know what the standard for those games were.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The OP is around five years too late to complain about a 3DS game...

Sure, it wasn't a great game. Though it wasn't a bad game, there have been worse Mario games out there and this one never made any of the pre-made lists of terrible games.

In fact, it won Handheld Game of the Year in 2013. Which the game has two million sales to date (which doesn't account for multiple trade-ins - which could be a million or two more). :lol:

D

Deleted User

Never actually played a proper Paper Mario game but wanted to give it a try. Needless to say, I didn't get very far through Sticker Star.

Reactions: Mnecraft368

Phenj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The OP is around five years too late to complain about a 3DS game...

Sure, it wasn't a great game. Though it wasn't a bad game, there have been worse Mario games out there and this one never made any of the pre-made lists of terrible games.

In fact, it won Handheld Game of the Year in 2013. Which the game has two million sales to date (which doesn't account for multiple trade-ins - which could be a million or two more). :lol:
lol, doesn't count, the 3DS was extremely popular, and PMSS was one of the first 3DS games.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol, doesn't count, the 3DS was extremely popular, and PMSS was one of the first 3DS games.

No, it does count actually... Because the very same year it was released, there were titles such as;

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Professor Layton v.s. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Sure, there definitely wasn't any good games to win that award (there's at least three in the list above). :glare:

Plus it was the second year, so it wasn't on of "the first 3DS games" as the first year had Ocarina of Time 3D, StarFox64, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land.

If you do not know what you are talking about, just please stop typing because you're not going to get any more than up to four people to agree with you.

Which going back to your reply to @THEELEMENTKH , the original Paper Mario on the Nintendo 64 was turn based battles so they never really took anything away from that (it may have just evolved slightly for the worst). All Nintendo did, was try and make a portable version of a home console franchise, which sometimes portability works and other times it makes a divide. But it's not a bad game, it just is what it is.

Phenj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, it does count actually... Because the very same year it was released, there were titles such as;

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Professor Layton v.s. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Sure, there definitely wasn't any good games to win that award (there's at least three in the list above). :glare:

Plus it was the second year, so it wasn't on of "the first 3DS games" as the first year had Ocarina of Time 3D, StarFox64, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land.

If you do not know what you are talking about, just please stop typing because you're not going to get any more than up to four people to agree with you.

Which going back to your reply to @THEELEMENTKH , the original Paper Mario on the Nintendo 64 was turn based battles so they never really took anything away from that (it may have just evolved slightly for the worst). All Nintendo did, was try and make a portable version of a home console franchise, which sometimes portability works and other times it makes a divide. But it's not a bad game, it just is what it is.
Yeah in 2012, still one of the first 3ds games.
Why did it sell so well? Because everyone bought it (me included) expecting a return to the first Paper Mario formula. Everyone got disappointed, and you can see that with Paper Mario Color Splash, just 0.86mill copies sold worldwide.
:)

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah in 2012, still one of the first 3ds games.
Why did it sell so well? Because everyone bought it (me included) expecting a return to the first Paper Mario formula. Everyone got disappointed, and you can see that with Paper Mario Color Splash, just 0.86mill copies sold worldwide.
:)

No, it was December 2012 so it really wasn't "one of the first" 3DS games (unless you mean one of your first). The console came to Europe in March 2011, 21 months after the 3DS released and 13 months after the release of Super Mario 3D Land, in November of 2011.

The reason it sold well, is because it's a Mario game and many people (including myself) are console completists of certain game series so we will buy anything that at least looks good... Which this topic makes me want to climb up a ladder, just to get it out of my storage boxes.

Look, there it is... Ten games up on the right from my five copies of Ocarina of Time 3D (I haven't seen this image for over a year). :rofl2:

3DSPMSS.png

There's got to be worse games in this one box than Paper Mario: Sticker Stars (definitely Super Pokémon Rumble). :lol:

DS-3DS2.jpg

Phenj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, it was December 2012 so it really wasn't "one of the first" 3DS games (unless you mean one of your first). The console came to Europe in March 2011, 21 months after the 3DS released and 13 months after the release of Super Mario 3D Land, in November of 2011.

The reason it sold well, is because it's a Mario game and many people (including myself) are console completists of certain game series so we will buy anything that at least looks good... Which this topic makes me want to climb up a ladder, just to get it out of my storage boxes.

Look, there it is... Ten games up on the right from my five copies of Ocarina of Time 3D (I haven't seen this image for over a year). :rofl2:

View attachment 137553

There's got to be worse games in this one box than Paper Mario: Sticker Stars (definitely Super Pokémon Rumble). :lol:

View attachment 137555
nah you are just a nerd, doesn't count

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.