Hacking miniSD card rendered unusable

• Thread starter Deleted-236924
  • Start date
  • Views 1,633
  • Replies 16
D

Deleted-236924

OP
Overview of the problem: My EZ-Flash IV started mentioning bad sectors when I was saving in various games.
I was able to backup everything, but then I couldn't format my miniSD anywhere. But I had a brilliant idea, I formatted it with my camera and it worked.
Then I was able to format it on the computer, so I formatted it again with SDFormatter to ensure it would format it properly. It did, or so it seemed.
I put the files back onto the miniSD, but when attempting to read stuff from the miniSD with the EZ-Flash IV, it said ERROR: FAT filesystem error.

Ever since that point, Windows prompts me to format the memory card whenever I plug it in (which it fails to do) and SDFormatter cannot format it either (it says it is write protected)
Strange thing is my camera cannot format it either.

(No, the "lock" switch wasn't on, so this isn't the problem.)

Is there any chance of survival for my miniSD, or do I need to get another?

D

Deleted-236924

OP
I did, but Ubuntu wouldn't recognize it either.
(I tried both the built-in SD card reader and my USD reader.)

D

Deleted-236924

OP
I've had it for about 5 months and that's not counting I haven't used it in two months.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
My point is that according to the first post the miniSD seems to be progressively dying. First from bad sectors to finally not being able to format. Why would card readers that worked previously suddenly start rejecting it? Because they suddenly started to "hate" the miniSD? Perhaps it insulted their feelings? :rolleyes:

Great job on coming up with two whole possibilities by the way. I don't know what your problem is. I meant no ill will in my previous post.

@OP: Try another miniSD on your card readers to rule out the possibility that they are malfunctioning.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

OP
I do not have any other miniSD card, otherwise I would probably just have started using another one and moved on.
The SD card reader on my laptop works with every other SD card and my USB reader works with every other SD card.

(I have another SD card reader on my computer, but that thing doesn't seem to recognize anything anyway.)

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've rescued a couple sticks w/ the method you described... Formatting it w/ something a like my PSP or what not. Thing is, said rescue tends not to last, they slowly start to fail again and eventually become completely unusable. Good luck in your search for a new one. :-/

If you can get another device to format it again, you don't really need to use the Panasonic formatter on it, assuming you're only using it for GBA. Nothing actually runs from it, so it doesn't need the speed boost. In my experience w/ a dying SD, the Panasonic formatter usually doesn't help (as you just experienced).

Are you using an adapter when you try to format or do you have a reader that can read/write miniSD's w/o one? If it's the former, the adapter could be bad... Will be a hell of a lot easier to find a new mini to normal SD adapter then it will be to get a new miniSD.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Gamersection has miniSD, this is where I got mine.
It's a sandisk miniSD that came with a miniSD to SD adapter.

I'd actually rather not spend money on another miniSD to SD adapter if I'm not sure that's the actual problem.
I think it may be better to get another one, which would be bundled with a miniSD to SD adapter.
I could then try that other miniSD to SD adapter and see if it works properly. If it does, then hey, I'll have a backup miniSD card.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, I haven't looked for one in sometime and last time I went searching I came up empty handed. Glad you have a source.

Got some electrical contact cleaner? You could try that first (DeoxIT is great stuff and safe on plastics). It might just be corrosion or filth... But I kind of doubt it given what you described.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ