zoogie

playing around in the end of life
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
This program aims to be an easier & less intrusive way to install your 1st CIA for CFW (an alternative to FBI injection). The CIA in question is the latest FBI.cia release as of Feb 25, 2016. Greets to steveice10 for that and the app_install function.

Requirements:
-a 9.0-9.2 old/new 3ds or 2ds
-menuhax 2.x pre-installed
-clean 9.2 sysnand. no emunand or a9loaderhax.

Beta
Instructions (windows):
1. With your PC, drop the miniCIA folder to the ROOT of your 3ds's sd card. *NOT* the 3DS folder.
2. Click inside the miniCIA folder and run batch script 1, 2, then 3. Not all at once of course, lol.

Instructions (linux/mac):
1. Backup your existing boot.3dsx and menuhax_padcfg.bin files somewhere.
2. From the miniCIA folder, drop the boot.3dsx, boot.cia, and menuhax_padcfg.bin on your 3ds sd card root.
3. Run the 3ds, it should reboot then install boot.cia (FBI). Don't press any buttons unless it tells you too.
4. Now the FBI is installed, take your backup files and return them to your 3ds sd card (yes to overwrite).

Beta2
Instructions:
1. Copy miniCIA folder to the 3ds directory on your sd, then run it.The app should reboot then install boot.cia (FBI). Don't press any buttons unless it tells you too.

Beta (unofficial)
This is this same is the regular beta above except it installs FBI to NAND which means FBI stays around after SD problems, accidental deletions, or reformatting. Thanks to @Elveman for this : ) Link

NOTE: DOES NOT WORK WITH ARM9LOADERHAX !!

Attachments

• miniCIA_Beta.zip
    752.5 KB · Views: 333
  • miniCIA_Beta2.zip
    752.9 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited by zoogie,

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome! I swear one of the most annoying, time wasting things is installing FBI to a newly formated home menu. It's not hard, but I'm pretty sure anyone who's formated their system to downgrade or to bypass the eshop error knows what a pain in the *** it can be to inject FBI.

zoogie

OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is awesome! I swear one of the most annoying, time wasting things is installing FBI to a newly formated home menu. It's not hard, but I'm pretty sure anyone who's formated their system to downgrade or to bypass the eshop error knows what a pain in the *** it can be to inject FBI.
Thanks. :)
I'm thinking about just getting rid of the PC stuff so it's just one step, running the app. That would be nice.

I need to ask this question though, do you guys think it would be better if this installed (not injected) to NAND instead of SD by default? I say this because people often unlink their NANDs and this would preserve FBI if they did so.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about just getting rid of the PC stuff so it's just one step, running the app. That would be nice.

I need to ask this question though, do you guys think it would be better if this installed (not injected) to NAND instead of SD by default? I say this because people often unlink their NANDs and this would preserve FBI if they did so.
Yeah I'd be down with that. I can do it right now, but for the newbies, it'd be a great thing to have.

zoogie

OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, the second beta has been released. This one does all the file shuffling on the 3ds itself so you only have to boot the app.
Consider it even more beta than the first one. :P

Reactions: klear and peteruk

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

What. If you install it to NAND, it won't work at all.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, if I read the source properly, it boots into signpatched sysNAND and installs FBI ? That would explain why it needs autoboot menuhax.
I guess it could have been done like this, too, so you don't have to touch menuhax:
  1. Loading FIRM from NAND
  2. signpatching the FIRM in memory
  3. [Optional] Applying emuNAND patches
  4. Injecting a custom process in the ARM11 FIRM (kinda like NTR CFW does) that would use am:u and install FBI
  5. Then, exit properly
  6. Done

zoogie

OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, if I read the source properly, it boots into signpatched sysNAND and installs FBI ? That would explain why it needs autoboot menuhax.
I guess it could have been done like this, too, so you don't have to touch menuhax:
  1. Loading FIRM from NAND
  2. signpatching the FIRM in memory
  3. [Optional] Applying emuNAND patches
  4. Injecting a custom process in the ARM11 FIRM (kinda like NTR CFW does) that would use am:u and install FBI
  5. Then, exit properly
  6. Done
Yeah, it's messy, but I see it as a less-messy improvement over FBI -> H&S injection.

Maybe this will inspire someone to build a better mousetrap and implement what you suggested.

Reactions: Mrrraou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over