Minecraft in school

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine art class being a modded minecraft server for just your class. (Each class gets their own server save).
It would be a local server, so no worries about logging in, the school would activate and update as necessary. You could take it a step further and basically install a TMI mod on each client and add the "/give" command available to each student (With certain items banned, of course). Nether could be on or off, you can turn animal/monster spawns on or off, and the teacher could be the admin walking around. Oh, and each student would have a protected lot for him/her to build and only them. I think that would be a pretty sweet/"school affordable" art class, what do you guys think?

Each school would buy a copy of Minecraft for the entire school, as opposed to multiple copies of some expensive product (ex: Latest Photoshop Suite).

Thesolcity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I don't want it to replace it, but it could boost creativity. A lot. Besides, a friend of mine took an Art Class that had Photoshop, and literally all they taught him was how to use the "magic brush" thing. Its a hell of a lot cheaper too, my old high school had to get rid of its entire library due to budget cuts, is this really the time to be buying expensive brand name software for the sake of teaching kids to use a default function you could easily learn by just reading the manual? I don't think so.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bad idea. It doesn't teach any real skills that can be used. No one's gonna hire someone with Minecraft experience over someone with even a basic knowledge of Photoshop.

Thesolcity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
That's a bad idea. It doesn't teach any real skills that can be used. No one's gonna hire someone with Minecraft experience over someone with even a basic knowledge of Photoshop.

Anyone who would want/need to use Photoshop either already knows how, or can find an easier way. Teaching someone about a simple brush feature isn't going to make a difference. You can also always take Photo editing in College where they can afford the programs.

Thesolcity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could/would boost creativity by a lot though. It also would be very entertaining.
tongue.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way that they're using it now (if you looked at my link) is by teaching to 2nd graders. That's the perfect age group, in my opinion. It teaches them really (REALLY) basic architecture, and some aspects of socialization.

Later down the line, they can use Photoshop.

Thesolcity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw that link, and I was surprised some kids knew/had played it before.
I can't even get my little brother to play pokémon red, he's an FPS fanboy. :/

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I always thought Minecraft would be a good aid in learning. Like, in a college course or something. You know, with redstone circuits and recreating real life monuments and the like.

Which reminds me... I've still got to create a tutorial level for a friend of mine. He's not used to the controls or the gameplay of Minecraft, so he asked me to create a tutorial level to help him get used to all the controls and all of that. Hoo boy, I'm gonna be swamped with a lot of redstone circuits so pistons can be used as removable blockades....

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
I always thought Minecraft would be a good aid in learning. Like, in a college course or something. You know, with redstone circuits and recreating real life monuments and the like.

Which reminds me... I've still got to create a tutorial level for a friend of mine. He's not used to the controls or the gameplay of Minecraft, so he asked me to create a tutorial level to help him get used to all the controls and all of that. Hoo boy, I'm gonna be swamped with a lot of redstone circuits so pistons can be used as removable blockades....
Actually, I like your idea.

Minecraft allows you to make "electronics" and use them for certain things. This would teach kids how to invent and how to be creative. Schools these days rely to much on reality to teach kids. In order for kids to be successful in schools, they need imagination(and don't get dirty here).

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

Minecraft allows you to make "electronics" and use them for certain things. This would teach kids how to invent and how to be creative. Schools these days rely to much on reality to teach kids. In order for kids to be successful in schools, they need imagination(and don't get dirty here).
Exactly what I was thinking of.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
RoyalCardMan said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

Exactly what I was thinking of.
That's called Industrialcraft.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: