ROM Hack [Release] Fire Emblem Awakening Gender-lock Removal Project v1.0 (300+ new map sprites!)

lj_reflet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Robin_ClassChange(Small).png

GLFShowcase_Small.png

GLFBanner.png

Hey guys! So I’ve been working on this HUGE project for a while now, and I can finally FINALLY say it’s complete and that I've done the unthinkable: Awakening without gender-restrictions on classes, with custom sprites for each character that can access the classes! (plus full compatibility with the Gay Awakening Mod!)

A while back, I originally created a simple male Pegasus Knight class line mod (with no custom sprites) for personal use and did a whole playthrough to test it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it had a lot of rough edges and I wanted to refine it.

Due to how Awakening’s spriting system works, all characters default to generic class sprites if they somehow gain access to a class that isn’t in their innate class set. In Fates and Echoes, head-sprites and body-sprites are completely separate pieces of data that are fused together when units reclass. However, in Awakening, each character has their own spritesheet for each class they have access to, and their head-sprites and body-sprites are all part of one image file. In order for units to not use generic sprites, I decided to start this project to create custom sprites for all characters when they gain access to classes that were originally gender-locked.

SO, after several months and literally over 300+ spritesheets (360 to be exact aklsdfjalsdf), I have finally created an Awakening without gender-locks AND custom sprites for all characters that now have access to these classes!

Here's a couple of sample sprite gifs I made myself (and are currently imported to the game!):

DarkFlierLaurent_Gif(Mini).gif
FighterLucina_Gif(Mini).gif

GLFBanner.png

ROM Hack Information
I understand that with the combination of the same-sex marriage, the removal of the gender-lock, and the existence of Galeforce, this completely changes the metagame and can lead to some really interesting child-unit builds. So, I decided to create 2 versions of the gender-lock removal: Version A and B, but providing different access to different class sets.

In both versions, here are the new gender-lock-free classes I have added:
  • New male classes:
    • Pegasus Knight, Falcon Knight, Dark Flier
    • Troubadour, Valkyrie
    • * Donnel's Villager class is coded as male-only and will remain so, only because I don't think the class is worth much LOL
  • New female classes:
    • Barbarian, Fighter, Berserker, Warrior
Despite creating two different versions, here's what both mods will include:
  • Custom sprites for all 2nd gen units in for new classes, including both Morgans!
  • Version A includes custom sprites for a few select 1st gen units as well!
  • Custom generic sprites for new classes that Robin can use, as well as SpotPass/DLC characters!
  • Yup, you read that right, SpotPass and DLC characters also have access to gender-lock-free classes!
  • Battle models will be borrowed from other classes, but Dark Flier and Falcon Knight will have custom textures! (created by the talented Mathcat!)
  • Most new female sprites use body sprites imported from Fates

GLFBanner.png

Version Differences
In Version A , a few select 1st Gen units will now have the opposite gender parallel class in their class set—but some other select characters will still retain their original classes. However, due to how the Awakening’s class system is coded, classes in a 1st gen character’s set can only be replaced and a new class cannot be added (meaning, they will lose access to one of their original classes and that class will be replaced). I created this version so that 1st Gen units could have an opportunity to try out opposite-gender classes and not just 2nd Gen units.

For 1st gen characters, here's how their class sets and inheritance will go in this version:

• Version A
    • Both Robins will have Pegasus Knight, Troubadour, Fighter, and Barbarian included in their class sets and will pass down all 4 classes to all their children.
    • Gaius
      • Loses Fighter, gains Pegasus Knight
      • Passes down Pegasus Knight to both male and female children
    • Donnel
      • Loses Fighter, gains Pegasus Knight
      • Villager will remain male-only and will be translated to Knight for female children (version A only)
    • Henry
      • Loses Barbarian, gains Troubadour
      • Passes down Troubadour to both male and female children
      • ** Henry will use the generic War Monk sprite, which he has access to via Troubadour
    • Lissa
      • Loses Troubadour, gains Barbarian (keeps Pegasus Knight)
      • Passes down both Barbarian and Pegasus Knight to both female and male children
      • ** Owain will keep Myrmidon as it is his base class, but Lissa will not pass down Myrmidon to other male children (see important notes below)
    • Cherche
      • Loses Troubadour, gains Fighter
      • Passes down Fighter to both female and male children
      • ** Cherche will use the generic Hero sprite, which she will have access to via Fighter
    • Panne
      • Loses Thief, gains Barbarian
      • Passes down Barbarian to both female and male children
      • Yarne inherits both Barbarian and Wyvern Rider, but loses Thief
      • ** In the original game, Panne's Wyvern Rider is the class that's translated to Barbarian for Yarne, but I opted to switch out Thief so that Panne can carry the axe rank between her classes
    • Vaike
      • Keeps Fighter and Barbarian
      • Passes down both Fighter and Barbarian to both female and male children
    • Gregor
      • Keeps Barbarian
    • Maribelle
      • Keeps Pegasus Knight and Troubadour
      • Passes down both Pegasus Knight and Troubadour to both male and female children
      • ** Brady will keep Priest as it is his base class, but Maribelle will not pass down Priest to other male children (see important notes below)
    • Miriel
      • Keeps Troubadour
    • Olivia
      • Keeps Pegasus Knight
    • Say'ri, Emmeryn, and Aversa all keep Pegasus Knight and Troubadour (Emmeryn) and can pass down both to both male and female children
    • Gangrel and Priam keep Barbarian and Fighter respectively and can pass down their classes to both female and male children
  • Fun facts
    • Owain will naturally have 4 (out of 5 total) weaponfaire skills just at base (Swordfaire, Axefaire, Tomefaire, Lancefaire)
    • Brady will be the only character able to inherit all 4 formerly gender-locked classes IF Maribelle marries Vaike

In Version B, all 1st Gen characters will retain their original class set as it is in the original game. However, they will not pass down opposite gender parallel classes and instead will pass down their original classes to their children regardless of gender (ie. Gaius passes down Fighter rather than Pegasus Knight). So, only 2nd Gen male units can become Pegasus Knights and Troubadours, while only 2nd Gen female units can become Fighters and Barbarians. All 1st gen units’ obtainable skills remain the same, but child unit inheritance does get mixed up a little bit. Due to the fact that fathers can now only pass down formerly male-only classes (Fighter and Barbarian), children can only inherit formerly female-only classes (Pegasus Knight and Troubadour) from their mothers or by their second mother via same-sex marriage.

Here's how class sets will go for Version B:

• Version B
    • Gaius keeps Fighter
    • Donnel keeps Fighter
      • Villager will be translated to Pegasus Knight for female children
    • Henry keeps Barbarian
    • Lissa keeps Troubadour and Pegasus Knight
      • Passes down Troubadour and Pegasus Knight to both female and male children
      • Lissa will still not pass down Myrmidon to other male children
    • Cherche keeps Troubadour
    • Both Robins, Vaike, Gregor, Panne*, Maribelle, Miriel, and Olivia (+SpotPass paralogue units) will all remain the same as they are in Version A
      • Robin and Panne will be the only 1st gen units to access opposite gender classes
      • * Panne will the stay the same in Version A since I can't get her to keep Thief and Wyvern Rider in her class set and pass down Barbarian to both female and male children at the same time. I opted for her to keep Barbarian instead of Thief.
  • NOTE: Kjelle can still inherit Pegasus Knight via Sumia, Donnel, and Robin. Nah and Noire can only inherit Pegasus Knight via Donnel and Robin (either gender) due to a lack of implemented same-sex S-Supports for Tharja and Nowi
  • NOTE: Cynthia can still inherit Troubadour via Cherche, Miriel, and Robin. Nah, Noire, Severa, and Kjelle can only inherit Troubadour via Robin (either gender) due to a lack of implemented same-sex S-supports for their respective mothers.

GLFBanner.png
Extra Notes

• All SpotPass and DLC characters will also have access to all gender-lock-removed classes EXCEPT Marth, who will only have access to Pegasus Knight
    • Marth strangely is a completely separate set of data from the SpotPass/DLC characters. He only had extra room in his class set for only one more class, so I opted to just give him Pegasus Knight.
    • All SpotPass/DLC characters share the same section of data despite having several variations
  • For now, it is NOT possible to manually add custom supports through Paragon with this mod (or anything that involves modding the static.bin), should you want to implement a custom support that the Gay Awakening mod has not already implemented.
    • Anything that modifies the mod's static.bin via Paragon will completely wipe out the character-specific sprite data for the new classes (ONLY new classes, the other vanilla classes are fine), and they will end up reverting back to generic sprites
    • It is technically possible to work around this (as I have done this several, several times during my test playthrough), but the process to do this is relatively difficult and does not involve Paragon.
  • Sprites imported from Fates (ie. female Warrior, Berserker, and Fighter) will not have selection animations (the sprite animation that plays when you put your cursor above the character)
    • Also, you'll notice the aforementioned sprites doing this weird "bounce" idle animation--yeah that's not a bug, that's just how the animation frames are LOL
  • Lissa will not pass Myrmidon to other male children. However, Owain will still be a Myrmidon at base and will keep this class in his class set.
    • Lissa's Pegasus Knight was originally translated to Myrmidon for male children, but now that she can pass down Pegasus Knight instead, she will not pass down Myrmidon anymore.
    • Despite this, Owain will still retain Myrmidon in his class set. He is coded to have Myrmidon as his base class and will always have this class, but Lissa's other reclass options will instead be added to his inherited class set.
      • Meaning, upon recruitment, Owain will have Myrmidon, Pegasus Knight, Priest, and Barbarian (Version A) OR Troubadour (Version B) from Lissa
    • Currently, Lissa's only same-se marriage option is Maribelle, so this will only affect Brady
  • Brady will not inherit Cavalier from Maribelle, but will keep Priest. However, Maribelle will not pass down Priest to other male children,
    • Once again, originally, Maribelle's Pegasus Knight was translated to Cavalier and Troubadour was translated to Priest. However, Brady will inherit both Pegasus Knight and Troubadour instead.
      • So, when recruited, Brady will have Priest, Troubadour, Pegasus Knight, and Mage from Maribelle.
  • I'm completely unsure how this will affect Morgan's starting class
    • In my test playthrough, I used the gay-marriage mod and married Chrom, so Morgan started as a Tactician
    • Also, I modded the Morgans to switch to get male-Morgan with male-Robin, so he would have inherited a male-class regardless (due to same-sex marriage)
    • Without the Morgan-switch, there may be a chance that same-sex marriage between M!Robin and--for example--Vaike will result in F!Morgan starting off as a Fighter, but this is untested

For my Gender-lock Removal mod, I gave some 1st gen units access to opposite-gender classes based on whether they pass the class on to their children (ie. Gaius and Donnel get Pegasus Knight because they pass it down, Cherche gets Fighter cause she passes it down), but I was thinking of creating an alternate version where certain 1st gen units get opposite gender classes based on their character.

I've discussed this on my Tumblr and got a lot of input from my friends/followers, and here's what we came up with:

• Pegasus Knight
    • Chrom, Frederick, Ricken
  • Troubadour
    • Virion, Libra, Brady, maybe Henry
  • Fighter
    • Sully, Anna, maybe Cherche
  • Barbarian
    • Panne, maybe Cherche
Here's a link to my post, and the discussion comments are at the bottom. This isn't set 100% yet, and I would still love more input!

GLFBanner.png

Known Bugs
  • So far, the only bug I found was some pretty bad lag when opening up the Extras menu and the SpotPass bonus box menu
  • In my test playthrough, Risen occasionally appeared as female Fighters/Barbarians/Warriors, but in battle, their models were headless (fucking terrifying i swear). I'm sure I removed it in the release, but if you experience this, let me know!
  • I actually manually had to input the new supports from Gay Awakening for each character one-by-one on Paragon, so if there's any missing supports, let me know and I can go ahead and change that!

Planned updates/To-do list
  • Allow compatibility with male Manakete mod by ManaketeSmoocher (was given permission to do this!)
  • Create custom War Monk sprite for Henry and Hero sprite for Cherche (low priority)
  • If possible, I would seriously appreciate if I could have help from a model editor to create a custom model for male Pegasus Knights ㅠㅠ
  • Hoping to create a 3rd version !

Credits and Special Thanks
Mathcat for the amazing custom textures
Babysauce on Gamebanana for writing this extremely detailed tutorial after I asked haha (seriously couldn't have done this project without you!)
thane98 for creating Paragon
Followers on Tumblr for the feedback and support during my sprite-making journey

GLFBanner.png

Release
Download
Phew, and with all that being said, here's the links the the mods! You can choose between either Version A or Version B. This took me a LOOOOT of work, so I would love to hear your experiences playing the mod!

How to Install (luma)
  1. Download and extract the folder.
  2. Go to your luma folder in your 2DS/3DS SD card
  3. Open the titles folder > Open the folder with FE13's game ID (US version FE13's game ID is 00040000000A0500)
    • If you do not have a game ID folder, you can create one manually
  4. Paste the contents of the mod folder into the "romfs" folder
    • Once again, if you do not have a romfs folder, you can create one
  5. The pathway should be luma > titles > 00040000000A0500 > romfs
  6. Reinsert your SD card into your console and the mod should be ready to go !

** It is possible to use this mod with Citra, but to be 100% honest, I have never used Citra so I'm not sure what the steps are to install mods on it LOL. If you happen to know, lmk and I can put the instructions here too!

ETC.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Gender-lock Free Mod

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you you can't be a male Pegasus Knight or a female Fighter ❤️

Last edited by lj_reflet,

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently played the game a while ago, grinded Cordelia and Sumia with Galeforce and creating just monsters on the field. Now a world where it's possible to have it on first generation men? Is it even a fair war at that point?!

Reactions: lj_reflet

lj_reflet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently played the game a while ago, grinded Cordelia and Sumia with Galeforce and creating just monsters on the field. Now a world where it's possible to have it on first generation men? Is it even a fair war at that point?!
HAHA, I say yes !

Flying Locktouch+Galeforce Gaius was a super fun build to use, and it was well deserved for my fave 1st gen unit LOL.

Reactions: Tsukiru

KOLA39

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to use the mod along with UV's Gay Awakening mod, but every time I would add in the files from this mod, all gay supports I had from the gay mod would get wiped except for the ones that already got to S Support. I'm not sure how to fix the issue. :wacko:

lj_reflet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to use the mod along with UV's Gay Awakening mod, but every time I would add in the files from this mod, all gay supports I had from the gay mod would get wiped except for the ones that already got to S Support. I'm not sure how to fix the issue. :wacko:

Hey, I apologize about this issue. May I ask which version you're using (A or B)?

I've done several tests with my mod and the Gay Awakening mod to make sure this wouldn't happen, but I'll see what I can do to fix this. It sounds like it's a problem with the static.bin.lz file.

Are the supports getting wiped for every single character, or just some specific characters? If so, which characters?

I actually had to input each character's new support chains one-by-one on Paragon, so there's a high chance I may have missed a few.

KOLA39

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I apologize about this issue. May I ask which version you're using (A or B)?

I've done several tests with my mod and the Gay Awakening mod to make sure this wouldn't happen, but I'll see what I can do to fix this. It sounds like it's a problem with the static.bin.lz file.

Are the supports getting wiped for every single character, or just some specific characters? If so, which characters?

I actually had to input each character's new support chains one-by-one on Paragon, so there's a high chance I may have missed a few.
I'm using version B. The supports that got wiped were just wiped for all characters except for the units I had already gotten to S support. Every other unit just reverted back to their vanilla supports.

lj_reflet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using version B. The supports that got wiped were just wiped for all characters except for the units I had already gotten to S support. Every other unit just reverted back to their vanilla supports.

[redacted]

EDIT: I just checked my files and I found what was wrong, give me one moment to fix everything. I'll notify you once the fix is complete.

formyldehyde

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Loving the mod so far.

I have the smallest of gripes that I'm not sure there's a solution for: is this compatible with the Fire Editor for Awakening? I've tried using the Alpha editor (the one that allows skill, level, class editing, etc.), and it seems to continuously get caught in a loading loop. The Nightly editor (primarily stats) seems fine enough to use, but the ability to edit skills from a character's other class tree would definitely save me time.

I only have Thabes and Gay Awakening installed and I doubt they would interact strangely with the editor, it's probably something to do with the classes lock being removed. If that's the case, is there an alternative solution for editing, or do I need to just play - gasp - the normal way?

lj_reflet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loving the mod so far.

I have the smallest of gripes that I'm not sure there's a solution for: is this compatible with the Fire Editor for Awakening? I've tried using the Alpha editor (the one that allows skill, level, class editing, etc.), and it seems to continuously get caught in a loading loop. The Nightly editor (primarily stats) seems fine enough to use, but the ability to edit skills from a character's other class tree would definitely save me time.

I only have Thabes and Gay Awakening installed and I doubt they would interact strangely with the editor, it's probably something to do with the classes lock being removed. If that's the case, is there an alternative solution for editing, or do I need to just play - gasp - the normal way?

I apologize for the late message, as I have not checked GBAtemp in a while, but thanks so much for playing my mod ! I have personally used FireEditor myself on save files with my mod installed with no problem. However, I did only use it for simple matters like changing hair color for Morgan.

If there are problems with FireEditor regarding the classes in my mod, it may be because the "unlocked" classes are actually new class entries, and FireEditor or other save editors may not be able to read newly added classes and can only read vanilla classes. I can't say for sure though, but I can definitely say that Gaius' class was labeled as blank in FireEditor when I reclassed him into Pegasus Knight.

If you do want to save edit and add/change skills, the "safest" way may just be raw hex editing. I've done so so that 2nd gen units of same-sex parents could recognize each other as siblings (there is a patch released to fix this now though haha).

Hope this helps ! But if you have more questions, feel free to message on Discord (lj_reflet#9612) !

KnightPlatinum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't this remove the gender restriction on Dread Fighter and Bride? That's 90% of the reason to use it in the first place

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over