Hardware MIND BLOWN! Maybe the Best Damn GC/Wii U controllers EVER!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get all the hate for the PDP controllers. They feel just fine. A lot of the hate comes off as Nintendo fanboy snobbyness. At least PDP took care to make controllers that match the character themed wii remotes. Once I get my Peach Wii Wheel, I'll take a snapshot of the whole Peach collection.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get all the hate for the PDP controllers. They feel just fine. A lot of the hate comes off as Nintendo fanboy snobbyness. At least PDP took care to make controllers that match the character themed wii remotes. Once I get my Peach Wii Wheel, I'll take a snapshot of the whole Peach collection.
How is complaining about things that make the controller less comfy to use than the controller it's trying to copy fanboy snobbery?

I mean, they purposely went out of their way to copy the GameCube controller. So of course the people who buy it, most likely who really like the GameCube controller, are going to criticize things that are worse about it (insert disclaimer about subjective opinions here). The triggers are worse than the GameCube. The dpad is less accurate than the GameCube. The left stick is more clumsy and prone to sticky black gunk. The cord is thick and stiff and flips over the Wiimote in ways you don't want. And possibly just as important as the issue with the triggers, the mapping of the shoulder buttons gives the less preferred top bumpers dominant use in most games that utilize a classic controller.

Notice all the times I said "worse than the GameCube"? That's the problem. The controller was directed specifically at GameCube controller enthusiasts, and while overall it's a good product, it fails in a number of ways that a similarly priced competitor (the Hori Battle Pad) does not.

Heck, I would argue that the Hori Battle Pad is even better than the original GameCube controller in a number of ways, especially regarding the dpad and shoulder buttons. So of course people are going to criticize the PDP when, cool controller themes aside, the Hori does just about everything better.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the lack of analog triggers. The original Classic Controller had them (well, analog shoulder buttons more than triggers, but same difference), the actual Gamecube controller had them, so why not either of these Gamecube styled Classic Controllers? I could understand if it was a Wii U Pro controller styled after a Gamecube controller, since they don't have analog triggers, but this combination is just odd.

I'm not complaining, I don't like Gamecube controllers and wouldn't likely buy one of these even with analog triggers, I'm just saying, in reading about these things, it comes off as a weird design choice, yet two different companies both made the same choice. Did Nintendo mandate it on them for some bizarre reason? Can't be that they hoped to make people buy more of the new GC controllers they put out themselves, since they severely underproduced those and the adapter. Oh well, we'll probably never know.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the lack of analog triggers. The original Classic Controller had them (well, analog shoulder buttons more than triggers, but same difference), the actual Gamecube controller had them, so why not either of these Gamecube styled Classic Controllers? I could understand if it was a Pro controller styled after a Gamecube controller, since Pros don't have analog triggers, but this combination is just odd.

I'm not complaining, I don't like Gamecube controllers and wouldn't likely buy one of these even with analog triggers, I'm just saying, in reading about these things, it comes off as a weird design choice, yet two different companies both made the same choice. Did Nintendo mandate it on them for some bizarre reason? Can't be that they hoped to make people buy more of the new GC controllers they put out themselves, since they severely underproduced those and the adapter. Oh well, we'll probably never know.

The reason the analog triggers were dropped from the Wii classic controller when making its redesign, the Wii classic controller pro (NOT to be confused with the Wii U pro controller!) was because not a single Wii game utilized the analog features. Nintendo probably just saw no need to spend extra money on analog triggers if developers weren't using them. Same with these GameCube-like controllers.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason the analog triggers were dropped from the Wii classic controller when making its redesign, the Wii classic controller pro (NOT to be confused with the Wii U pro controller!) was because not a single Wii game utilized the analog features. Nintendo probably just saw no need to spend extra money on analog triggers if developers weren't using them. Same with these GameCube-like controllers.

Not entirely true, I understand that the COD games made use of the analog features of the classic controller, and I recall a wiiware title that could make use of it too (can't recall which one though). But the games were few and far between, so ultimately it was dropped because it was very rarely utilized.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely true, I understand that the COD games made use of the analog features of the classic controller, and I recall a wiiware title that could make use of it too (can't recall which one though). But the games were few and far between, so ultimately it was dropped because it was very rarely utilized.
Really now? I was under the impression that none did. That's interesting.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I prefer to have a GC controller that can be hooked to a Wii Mote and not use the 4 ports adaptor wich is very ugly AND uses TWO usb port. Whatacrap.

Pip'

You know that you can use just one of the USB leads (not the gray one) for the 4-port controller adapter, right? You wouldn't have the rumble function, but then again you won't have that anyway if you connect a GameCube-styled Classic Controller to a Wiimote (because that's what these PDPs and Horis are). If you like replacing AA batteries every few weeks and suffer from (minimal, but still noticeable) input lag, then more power to you. I'd take "ugly" over a semi-wired / semi-wireless option any day. But that's why we have options! :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is complaining about things that make the controller less comfy to use than the controller it's trying to copy fanboy snobbery?

I mean, they purposely went out of their way to copy the GameCube controller. So of course the people who buy it, most likely who really like the GameCube controller, are going to criticize things that are worse about it (insert disclaimer about subjective opinions here). The triggers are worse than the GameCube. The dpad is less accurate than the GameCube. The left stick is more clumsy and prone to sticky black gunk. The cord is thick and stiff and flips over the Wiimote in ways you don't want. And possibly just as important as the issue with the triggers, the mapping of the shoulder buttons gives the less preferred top bumpers dominant use in most games that utilize a classic controller.

Notice all the times I said "worse than the GameCube"? That's the problem. The controller was directed specifically at GameCube controller enthusiasts, and while overall it's a good product, it fails in a number of ways that a similarly priced competitor (the Hori Battle Pad) does not.

Heck, I would argue that the Hori Battle Pad is even better than the original GameCube controller in a number of ways, especially regarding the dpad and shoulder buttons. So of course people are going to criticize the PDP when, cool controller themes aside, the Hori does just about everything better.

It's snobby behavior when, instead of discussing the differences, fans act as if they are a million times better than the gamer that decides to use a third party or generic controller. Yes, we all get that Nintendo makes solid controllers but damn, Nintendo fans need to stop knocking companies who make other options for people with less money in their wallets, ESPECIALLY when one of those companies go out their way to appease Nintendo gamers with LICENSED character controllers.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
ESPECIALLY when one of those companies go out their way to appease Nintendo gamers with LICENSED character controllers.
PDP and Hori have been doing licensed products, including controllers, for Nintendo and other companies, for a long time. It's not like someone at PDP sat down saying, "hey let's make folks like LightyKD happy with these awesome controllers with Nintendo designs!"

I play Smash Bros. competitively so I'm avoiding these 3rd party controllers for two reasons: 1. they connect via Wiimote, which introduces at worst a 1-3 frame input lag, 2. the "fake analog" shoulder buttons make them slower to input, causing "real life" input lag. For me, the only way to play Smash Bros. is using an official GameCube controller using the USB connected GameCube controller adapter. These controllers are very nice, I admit that. And I have the Pikachu-themed Hori controller myself, but aesthetics aside these are inferior products to the fully wired set up that I play with, so I see no reason to praise these products either. They are, at the end of the day, glorified Classic Controllers. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't see what's snobby about that.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PDP and Hori have been doing licensed products, including controllers, for Nintendo and other companies, for a long time. It's not like someone at PDP sat down saying, "hey let's make folks like LightyKD happy with these awesome controllers with Nintendo designs!"

I play Smash Bros. competitively so I'm avoiding these 3rd party controllers for two reasons: 1. they connect via Wiimote, which introduces at worst a 1-3 frame input lag, 2. the "fake analog" shoulder buttons make them slower to input, causing "real life" input lag. For me, the only way to play Smash Bros. is using an official GameCube controller using the USB connected GameCube controller adapter. These controllers are very nice, I admit that. And I have the Pikachu-themed Hori controller myself, but aesthetics aside these are inferior products to the fully wired set up that I play with, so I see no reason to praise these products either. They are, at the end of the day, glorified Classic Controllers. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't see what's snobby about that.

The way you state things I can agree with you. I don't play Smash professionally but I have read about people trying to eliminate lag in the game. Also, compared to the original Cube controller, I can agree that both the PDP and Hori products don't hold a candle. With all of that said, go look at some YouTube reviews or the many post where Nintendo fans just straight up, dis third party cobtrollers. If a person can afford the real deal them more power to him/her but people still should lay off on knocking the idea of having options for other people.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No disrespect, but...
discussing the differences

That's what most people seem to be doing in this thread, no?
It's snobby behavior when... fans act as if they are a million times better than the gamer that decides to use a third party or generic controller.
...I think you're overreacting, or at least heavily projecting. Who's doing this? People's criticism of a controller shouldn't affect your self-esteem. If it does, then frankly, it's your fault.
Yes, we all get that Nintendo makes solid controllers but damn, Nintendo fans need to stop knocking companies who make other options for people with less money in their wallets
Except that's not what people are knocking: They're knocking what they believe to be poor quality on part of the product. Last I checked, companies that sell products aren't doing it for the sake of being nice, they're doing it for the sake of business and making a profit. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing saint-like about it, either. Corporations aren't people: We don't owe it to them to censor our criticism because it might "hurt their feelings." If a product that I pay for has problems, I'm going to say so. Likewise if the product does something right. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I think I've been pretty fair to both controllers, and weighed the pros and cons of each. I even wrote a blog post about it here on the Temp.
ESPECIALLY when one of those companies go out their way to appease Nintendo gamers with LICENSED character controllers.

One of them? You mean both of them? Both the PDP wired fight pad and the Hori battle pad are licensed Nintendo products, and both have themed character controllers. Only difference is that PDP is making them for over half a dozen characters, whereas Hori is only making them for three characters. And I've been very honest about the PDP controllers being better in that regard.

Tl;dr it sounds like you're taking the fact that people have a different controller preference from you WAYYYYYYY too personally.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

I remember playing Mario Kart Wii and the accelerator was through the analogue trigger ZR so there were some games that made use of it.

Frankly, I didn't play too much of Mario Kart Wii because the CPUs were a bunch of unfair assholes always aiming at me.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing Mario Kart Wii and the accelerator was through the analogue trigger ZR so there were some games that made use of it.

Frankly, I didn't play too much of Mario Kart Wii because the CPUs were a bunch of unfair assholes always aiming at me.

Lmao, that' s how I feel about Mario Kart Double Dash.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I found it funny cause many many years ago, had a roommate in college that did this same dumbass...