Hacking Migrate from exFAT to FAT32.

zxzxq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
My console is on version 16.0.0 and Atmosphere 1.5.0, I use emunand.
My SD card is in exFAT and I have read that this can cause problems in the long run, my question is how can I change it to FAT32 without losing the game save files which is the most important thing.
I was thinking of making a backup of the emuMMC partition on my computer and in the same way making a backup of all the files on my SD, but FAT32 only accepts files up to 4GB, so what can I do?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOS doesn't corrupt the filesystem. Don't be silly. Certain apps do, and neither HOS or games do that.
I have exFAT for about since the release of the console and never had an issue.
Stop or change your habit of force stopping apps and use apps developed by competent developers or specific for the system.
If you use homebrew Exfat will bite, it's only luck that you have not been bitten. Retroarch is often reported and it probably have nothing to do with quality of code but rather popularity of it and how frequently the drive has been accessed.

It's not easy to have serious problem but to corrupt it is super easy, pick an app that does a lot of disk access will do the trick.
Post automatically merged:

how can I change it to FAT32 without losing the game save files which is the most important thing.
Your saves are in emunand, I would just copy the files in exFAT to PC, use hekate to reformat to FAT32 then copy from PC back to the now FAT32 SD partition.
All done in a few minutes and just a few mouse click. You just need enough storage on your PC to temporarily store those files

Last edited by TomSwitch,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
HOS doesn't corrupt the filesystem. Don't be silly. Certain apps do, and neither HOS or games do that.
Stop or change your habit of force stopping apps and use apps developed by competent developers or specific for the system.
Late reply but that's bullshit. It's proven that PrFILE2 (the driver Nintendo uses) doesn't handle exFAT very well. See here: https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx/issues/161#issuecomment-419854684

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It is possible to corrupt even without using CFW, pokemon sword and shield is a prime example, update data corrupt on exFAT and not on FAT32. The problem with exFAT is that there is no journaling, so any interruption during data transfer often results in corruption and data loss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/