OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe i bricked my wii.. here are the details:

I was making a theme for my wii and i tried installing it using the mymenuify
it said it error writing to nand or something ended up with a brick when i got back to the menu. So no
problem i just loaded up preloader and installed system menu 4.0 wad to get rid of it.
So i then try installing it with softmii tweek toy and it finished but i ended up with a brick
again only this time preloader wasnt there. I think when i installed the system menu
4.0 wad it erased preloader. Is there anyway to recover from this? I also had bootmii installed
but as an IOS i have no idea if it survived or not because the bootmii menu never really
pops up for me. I also had startpatch 4.0 installed with recovery menu but i dont think that
survived either.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, you have to install bootmii as boot2 to pop up before the menu, as for your dilema, I'm not sure, does anyone else think savemii would help or no?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does your wii still load into savemiifrii? and do you have cioscorp installed and was it working on 4.0

if you answer yes to both question i have a bootmii recovery disc that might just work on your Wii, but your wii does need to load into savemiifrii recovery menu and would have needed cioscorp installed or atleast CIOS60bf

if you answer no to either one of those questions the disc wont work, and i not sure of any other way to fix this
if you need to find the disc just check my profile

k3vin369

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry but I'm not very good with identifying bricks.

But I came across something similar. What happen to me was; I installed a skin with Softmii Tweak Toy, and ended up bricking the System Menu. This was because I installed a skin that was for 4.0U ( I was on system menu 3.2U). So basically that means, you can't install a skin that is for another firmware version. Sometimes, the skin author may even made a mistake on the name of the skin. Renaming the skin and installing it on a different system menu will result in a brick.

Sorry, I don't think there is a way to fix this, besides getting a modchip or recovery disc of some sort (I'm not even 100% sure). Good luck.

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing the system menu from a wad erases Preloader, because it completely replaces the current menu. (I think) So pretty much, you are SCREWED. Better send it off to Nintendo.
frown.gif

EDIT:Just remembered, if you ever installed CIOSCORP, you CAN fix your Wii.
You need to burn the Wii Recovery Disc, and when you turn your Wii on, have a gamecube controller in port 4 and press all the d-pad buttons at once. (It's easier with a dance mat if you have one) If you do this right, there should be something that says 4.0U. In a couple seconds, the disc should boot up. The Wii Recovery Disc you burned should have an option to restore your Wii.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa whoa WiiThoko, let's not get hasty, if you have cioscorp or CIOS60bf like WiiBlaster mentioned, you might be able to get to savemiifrii. You need to disassemble a Official Nintendo gamecube controller in order to press al four directions. It'll take you to a blank screen saying your firmware version. And if you have cios Corp or cios60bf, you can run a bootmii recovery disc(Wiiblaster) and you might have hopes to save your wii. It's better than paying 200$ for Nintendo to backup your memory, insert a disc and press a button. All that effort for 200$
tongue.gif

SanzioSan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k3vin369 said:
Sorry but I'm not very good with identifying bricks.

But I came across something similar. What happen to me was; I installed a skin with Softmii Tweak Toy, and ended up bricking the System Menu. This was because I installed a skin that was for 4.0U ( I was on system menu 3.2U). So basically that means, you can't install a skin that is for another firmware version. Sometimes, the skin author may even made a mistake on the name of the skin. Renaming the skin and installing it on a different system menu will result in a brick.

Sorry, I don't think there is a way to fix this, besides getting a modchip or recovery disc of some sort (I'm not even 100% sure). Good luck.

The theme i installed was made for 4.0 i made it myself and was testing it out. The reason i got bricked probably had something to do with wat i modified in my theme..

QUOTE(WiiBlaster @ Jun 14 2009, 06:24 AM) does your wii still load into savemiifrii? and do you have cioscorp installed and was it working on 4.0

if you answer yes to both question i have a bootmii recovery disc that might just work on your Wii, but your wii does need to load into savemiifrii recovery menu and would have needed cioscorp installed or atleast CIOS60bf

if you answer no to either one of those questions the disc wont work, and i not sure of any other way to fix this
if you need to find the disc just check my profile

Well i had cioscorp installed b4 but it might have gotten erased... i was on 4.0 b4 and i did have cioscorp installed but i couldnt get preloader to work for some strange reason i had to downgrade and then upgrade using waninkoko's 4.0 updater so idk if cioscorp survived the update i highly doubt it... but can i try that recovery disc anyways? U never know it might work :X

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIOScorp probably doesn't get erased, just try the recovery disc, your Wii might be saved!
biggrin.gif

(If you have a dvd-r and a gamecube controller
tongue.gif
)

SanzioSan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did some researching and it seems like save mii is my answer. savemii is a default recovery menu already built into my wii right? And i can boot anything with it right?
So if i can get into savemii i can boot... say... an original copy of brawl... and wait for the brawl exploit to come out... and fix my wii this way? I know the twilight hack wont work.. since im on 4.0 so this is all i can hope for
frown.gif
in the mean time i guess ill have to play my friends wii...

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanzioSan said:
i did some researching and it seems like save mii is my answer. savemii is a default recovery menu already built into my wii right? And i can boot anything with it right?
So if i can get into savemii i can boot... say... an original copy of brawl... and wait for the brawl exploit to come out... and fix my wii this way? I know the twilight hack wont work.. since im on 4.0 so this is all i can hope for
frown.gif

Sounds like a plan, has long as the savemiifrii still works, really depends on how bad you bricked the system menu with the theme file, i've seen the recovery menu still work sometimes with a bad theme and not alot of the times hopefully you'll get lucky. Just remember savemiifrii requires the GC controller to be in the 4th GC port

edit: savemiifrii requires preloader hacks inorder to load Original Wii Games via recovery menu, i think but unsure
but if you wait until 4.1 or later gets released on a game update that might also update it and fix it.

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Brawl Hack. That would mean a definite fix! Just wait until that comes out, I guess.

SanzioSan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
SanzioSan said:
frown.gif

Sounds like a plan, has long as the savemiifrii still works, really depends on how bad you bricked the system menu with the theme file, i've seen the recovery menu still work sometimes with a bad theme and not alot of the times hopefully you'll get lucky. Just remember savemiifrii requires the GC controller to be in the 4th GC port

edit: savemiifrii requires preloader hacks inorder to load Original Wii Games via recovery menu, i think but unsure
but if you wait until 4.1 or later gets released on a game update that might also update it and fix it.

i dont think i bricked it that bad... the first time i bricked it all it took to fix it was installing the system menu wad.. but since it overrode preloader (without me knowing) and i tried installing the theme again... it bricked again... probably the same type of brick the first time.. so hopefully it aint that bad.. and hopefully that brawl hack gets released soon D:

SanzioSan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
There's a disc that can autoboot into BootMii/IOS, so if you made a NAND backup you clould restore from it.

can i have the link for that? im willing to try anything...

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanzioSan said:
FenrirWolf said:
There's a disc that can autoboot into BootMii/IOS, so if you made a NAND backup you clould restore from it.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=157...p;#entry2008231
its in my profile, but sense you more than likely removed CIOS60bf the disc may not work.

and about using the Brawl hack, Well for starters even if your wii could start in savemiifrii mode your wii wont be able to boot the disc because, doing that requires startpatch or preloader hacks to do so.

But if you installed a mod-chip you could download a full copy dvd9 version of brawl not trucha signed, and use the program bootme, and set the backup to autoboot which will not trucha sign it then wait for the brawl hack, which i'm not 100% sure how the brawl hack works, hopefully it does not require a hack save, but i dont think it does

Why not check to see if savemiifrii even works?

SanzioSan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
SanzioSan said:
FenrirWolf said:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=157...p;#entry2008231
its in my profile, but sense you more than likely removed CIOS60bf the disc may not work.

and about using the Brawl hack, Well for starters even if your wii could start in savemiifrii mode your wii wont be able to boot the disc because, doing that requires startpatch or preloader hacks to do so.

But if you installed a mod-chip you could download a full copy dvd9 version of brawl not trucha signed, and use the program bootme, and set the backup to autoboot which will not trucha sign it then wait for the brawl hack, which i'm not 100% sure how the brawl hack works, hopefully it does not require a hack save, but i dont think it does

Why not check to see if savemiifrii even works?

Wait i thought savemiifrii lets u run original discs (unless u have cioscorp installed)? And i need a tri head screw driver to open my gc controller up... ima get one today.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope it won't without the preloader hacks, you know remove system diagnostic disk check and that other one i can't remember the name to, but you would have needed the hacks to boot a original Disc in savemiifrii, but even though you dont have the hacks, you could get a mod-chip and use the program bootme on it to set a backup to autoboot, and that will work. And if savemiifrii doesn't even work, Well then it would be a good time to sent your Wii to nintendo

SanzioSan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
Nope it won't without the preloader hacks, you know remove system diagnostic disk check and that other one i can't remember the name to, but you would have needed the hacks to boot a original Disc in savemiifrii, but even though you dont have the hacks, you could get a mod-chip and use the program bootme on it to set a backup to autoboot, and that will work. And if savemiifrii doesn't even work, Well then it would be a good time to sent your Wii to nintendo

any chip can save my wii right? Wat kinda modchip do u recomend wiiblaster? I prefer one thats solderless and my serial # is an LU57 and also what kinda screw drivers do i need to open my wii?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanzioSan said:
WiiBlaster said:

any chip can save my wii right? Wat kinda modchip do u recomend wiiblaster? I prefer one thats solderless and my serial # is an LU57 and also what kinda screw drivers do i need to open my wii?

i would First check if savemiifrii works before worrying about a chip.

edit: Cause if savemiifrii will not boot into recovery mode, A chip more than likely wont be able to help you either

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Ohhh. NSFW!!!! https://youtu.be/q3C3ceUYXRY?feature=shared