Gaming Midori

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cloud computing is a very interesting concept, but as others have noted, the penetration of broadband isn't where it needs to be to make this a super sound idea. Maybe in a decade.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
I believe that one day Internet will get so fast that we won't need to store data with us anymore.. we'll just have a little terminal at home and do everything remotely.. that's my prediction for 20 or 30 years in the future
tongue.gif

I'm sure that Microsoft and all the big companies are already looking at this possibility and working with it, anyway, I don't see something like this coming so soon.. the next MS OS will certainly rely a lot on Internet connection but I don't think it's viable to do something 100% online right now.
fischju said:
One more step to Ghost in the Shell
FAST6191 said:
So basically someone read a book on thin clients and decided to copy it.

Next.
QUOTE(fischju @ Aug 4 2008, 05:34 PM)
One more step to Ghost in the Shell

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
I saw this on G4tv.com a couple of minutes ago. Sounds interesting. I bet everyone is going to reply "this is what vista should have been."

this is what vista should have been

just kidding, it sounds like a terrible idea.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a fantastic idea if you apply it to say a corporate structure, which I bet will be the aim of the OS. For home use though, it becomes inefficient. I do like the modular idea though for both a corporate side (which I'm pretty sure they are already doing with the Server series) and home use, since that frees up a lot of space and minimizes resource taken.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jiggah said:
It's a fantastic idea if you apply it to say a corporate structure, which I bet will be the aim of the OS. For home use though, it becomes inefficient. I do like the modular idea though for both a corporate side (which I'm pretty sure they are already doing with the Server series) and home use, since that frees up a lot of space and minimizes resource taken.

It already exists, the concept of "streaming" resources (as in whole applications) across a network to a client computer (which is known as a thin client because it has nothing but a stripped down OS) has been done for many many years (schools often do it so you may well have seen it there and many industrial machines also do it also perhaps in not quite such an obvious way).

The thing is there are multiple free operating systems now with office+internet+network software whose entire iso clocks perhaps a mornings bandwidth in this situation, anyone who uses anything more than that (CAD, graphic design, multimedia, high end programming.....) is going to have decent workstation anyhow (maybe with an on site activation server for the more tricky applications).

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ferrariman said:
This is what vista should have been
tongue.gif
Beat me to it...

Well... Maybe this one won't suck.
but I don't like the idea that people can hack my PC, even when its offline...
I've already been hacked before. About a month after I got the PC, and an hour before I deleted Internet Exploiter and started using Mozilla firefox. Also they could update my PC, NO THANKYOU! IF I WANTED SPAM, I'D GET WAREZ WITH THEM!

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
Beat me to it...

Well... Maybe this one won't suck.
but I don't like the idea that people can hack my PC, even when its offline...
I've already been hacked before. About a month after I got the PC, and an hour before I deleted Internet Exploiter and started using Mozilla firefox. Also they could update my PC, NO THANKYOU! IF I WANTED SPAM, I'D GET WAREZ WITH THEM!
Oh god my brain hurts now
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol