Microsoft to launch "console wraps" that serve as skins for Xbox Series X consoles

xboxconsolewraps.png

Microsoft has been known to offer limited and exclusive consoles from time to time, each with their own unique skin to differentiate it from the normal consoles that they offer, going all the way back to the Xbox and popularized by the wide variety offered during the console , going from franchise-centric limited editions, like Halo-themed consoles, Resident Evil and Gears of War, to sponsored ones like Mountain Dew and others. However, the original limited edition consoles had their original skins made within the same console's chassis, meaning the paintwork and all was exclusive to that console's chassis, while the only other means of having any kind of customization for an Xbox console was for the 360 with the custom plates, which only modified the front of the console.

To give users a similar experience to that of the original limited-time consoles from back in the day, starting on October, Microsoft will start offering special-themed "wraps" made with solid panels and an engineered fabric, which will serve as mounted skins held by a velcro hook and loop enclosure. The first wraps available will be with a special game theme of "Starfield", set to release on October 18th, 2023. There will also be other two available colours, Mineral Camo and Arctic Camo, set for a date of Novermber.

Each coloured wrap will be sold for $44.99 USD, while the exclusive Starfield wrap will be sold for $49.99 USD.

:arrow: Source

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first, I was like: oh they look neat, then i took a look at the price.. Wtf?
Uh.. no, i like my fridge bare naked, thank you! :sleep:

• Haha
Reactions: HellGhast

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not interested in any of the first three designs, but I do like that they aren't just decals and may be interested in a future design. And dbrand's PS5 plates look terrible imo. Worse than the originals & the officially licensed Spider-Man PS5 plates I have coming will most likely never be swapped out for anything else.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In before the launch of the rumored Ps5 "slim" with detachable disk drive and avoid a repeat of last gen where good 'ol $ony totally corners the console market this gen.
The whole detachable disc drive may be a nightmare for genuine customers if scalpers get them all and Sony only makes a limited quantity.

Just make a good ol' slim console!

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
The whole detachable disc drive may be a nightmare for genuine customers if scalpers get them all and Sony only makes a limited quantity.

Just make a good ol' slim console!
No worries there, am certain Blu-Ray drives, detachable or not, are hella easy to manufacture and $ony plan to make a butt load of 'em so that we'll practically be swimming in them.

I even see a probable scenario where $ony gives away free drives as a launch promotional sale for a limited time say within 1 week of new models' launch.

The only time Blu-Ray drives were hectic was back in the 2006 launch of Ps3, the EU version was delayed to March 2007 due to complications of manufacturing 2 new technologies; the Blu-ray drive and the inFamous CELL BE processor.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

datapagan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bit too expensive, but I like that it seems easy to install and probably won't leave any residue due to bad adhesive that gets cooked from the XSX since it's just velcro

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Solid panels", this is not Just a sticker, it's a thicc, substantial shell. Not bad.
That’s what I was thinking as well. If you think about it in terms of replaceability, I imagine they’d protect the console’s shell relatively well. I wonder if there’s any impact on thermals, they do give off that “Thanksgiving Turkey” vibe since they seem pretty thick, but I don’t think it’d be a big issue giving the Series X’s airflow path - it’s basically a square tube with a giant fan that blows straight through the thing, there’s no obstruction there.
Never seen those before, that’s pretty neat! Very… 2000’s, if you know what I mean. :lol:

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have to laugh at the "But the price!" comments. I could understand if they were merely stickers, but they're more of a hard shell. Not to mention the fact the most gamers buy tons of games at a higher price that they will only ever play one or two times. Enough people also pay more for their cell phone case. Then there's other things people buy like fast food, alcohol, soda pop, cigarettes, marijuana, toys, etc. etc. but don't complain about the prices of those things much when their price points are far more of a bad deal than these "wraps". Look at my $300 console, $1200 iPhone, $30 bag of Burger King food, $80 limited edition controller, and this $120 carton of cigs.... but omfg! $45 for a hard shell console wrap? Unthinkable!

Point being, people have no problem spending any amount of $$$ on things they are interested in. But when it's something they don't care about it's "That price tho!"

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Didn't realize these were solid panels. Disregard.

I'm a complete sucker for limited-edition consoles, but I absolutely despise skins like this for 3 reasons:

1. I will fuck it up and apply it slightly off-center, it will bug me eternally
2. It will peel or otherwise fall apart after a few years (especially after the console heats and cools as you play..)
3. Once it's started to peel, if you try to take it all the way off, you will get horrible sticky residue all over the goddamn thing.

Doesn't help at all that they're $45-50. If I put on a $15 eBay skin and it's slightly askew, I won't feel terrible about peeling it off and trying again with a new one. If I fuck up putting on a $50 one... that's basically the price of a game down the drain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto