Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard in record-setting $68.7 billion deal

FJY1RSjXMAECvK5.jpg

Microsoft announced today it would be acquiring Activision Blizzard, adding some of the biggest franchises in gaming to its portfolio, including World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, and Candy Crush. The deal is currently the largest in the history of the video game industry, beating the record set only last week when Take-Two acquired Zynga for $12.7 billion. Activision CEO Bobby Kotick will remain in his current role. While the announcement does not comment on whether or not Activision games will now be exclusive to Microsoft platforms, it does reference Microsoft's intention bolster Game Pass with Activision's portfolio, also announcing that Game Pass has recently reached a milestone subscriber count of 25 million. The deal is expected to close in the fiscal year 2023 and will make Microsoft the third-largest gaming company by revenue, behind Tencent and Sony.

The merger comes at a tumultuous time for Activision Blizzard, after both the State of California and the SEC began investigating reports of sexual misconduct and worker discrimination at the company last summer. This controversy drew responses from across the industry, with PlayStation boss Jim Ryan reportedly condemning the company in an internal memo to employees, and Xbox CEO Phil Spencer stating in November that he would be "evaluating" his relationship with Activision Blizzard moving forward and that he was "disturbed and deeply troubled" by the reports. In an interview with The New York Times last week, Spencer said "we have changed how we do certain things with them, and they’re aware of that. But I also — this isn’t about, for us as Xbox, virtue-shaming other companies. Xbox’s history is not spotless." In a press release accompanying the acquisition announcement, Microsoft CEO and chairman Satya Nadella said “We’re investing deeply in world-class content, community and the cloud to usher in a new era of gaming that puts players and creators first and makes gaming safe, inclusive and accessible to all.” To add to Activision's woes, the last Call of Duty release, Vanguard, reportedly performed below expectations and failed to beat the previous year's release, with some rumours circulating that the next Call of Duty may be moved up in the schedule to compensate.

This acquisition continues Microsoft's recent trend of major acquisitions across the gaming industry. Last September, they acquired publishing giant Zenimax, and have been purchasing scores of smaller studios for the past several years, including Obsidian, Double Fine and Ninja Theory.

:arrow: Source

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly it does give me some hope even tho maybe it shouldn't ?
Well, maybe not hope, but I'm excited to see what it means for the industry. Will Call of Duty stop releasing on the Playstation, and if it does, what will happens ? I know there are a lot of people who just play Fifa and Call of Duty casually and usually buy a Playstation for that, will they get an Xbox or will they stick to Battlefield or some other franchise ?
And what about Blizzard ?
I'm pretty sure Kotick will be kicked out, which is very good news. Well, he will get a huge paycheck but it doesn't matter too much as long as he is gone. I do hope that Microsoft will try to restore a bit of the « Blizzard's spirit » that was gone.

Oh and also Call of Duty on the gamepass is such a huge deal for them. It already should be a free to play game, having it on the game pass will allow me to play it, I'm never planning on buying a yearly 60€ game filled with micro transactions.

Reactions: CoolMe

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh boy! Microsoft is trying to make another monopoly again!
But also, did they seriously see everything going on with the lawsuit and still go through with this?

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people probably don’t care about this anymore but please, please, PLEASE on the off chance Overwatch 2 actually sees the light of day please let it not be exclusive. It’s literally the one Blizzard IP I give two shits about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken they are worth it lol