Gaming MicroSD corrupted

Mr.Mysterio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
My sister uses a MicroSD card reader and a Kingston 1 GB MicroSD card along with an original R4DS with Moonshell2 direct booting method using YSmenu.

She was using ComicBookDS for reading some Manga series,the DS turned off because the battery ran out of charge.So when she recharged the battery and tried running ComicBookDS again,all she got was two white screens.

She came to me for help and I thought that the CBDS folder might have got corrupted somehow.I deleted the ComicBookDS.nds file and also tried deleting the CBDS folder.But when I tried to delete the folder I got an 'Cannot remove folder,the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error message.I also noticed that while using YSmenu to scroll through the list of games,it would get stuck at Pokemon Platinum rom.I tried deleting this rom and even though it was successful a new file with the same filename which was 0kb was created.The same happened for the ComicBookDS.nds I deleted earlier.Unfortunately,my sister doesn't have a backup of her SD card and she says she has some important files in the SD card.
unsure.gif

When I tried backing up the files I got the same error from before.I ran chkdsk command and it found some errors with the drive.When I asked it to fix the errors,it said that the drive in question was in use.I am sure that no program is using the drive.

I can run the other games except Pokemon Platinum fine.However ComicBookDS doesnt load and my sis cant add anymore files to the CBDS folder.
Is there anyway I can solve this problem without having to format the MicroSD?Any help would be much appreciated.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ComicbookDS must have been writing to the microSD whilst the DS powered out, I think it does that every time you turn a page to record where you are.

Sadly, sounds like a textbook case of corrupt memory though, there's little you can do in these situations other than to try and recover what you can, if you can, and format.
This is why you should make regular backups of your microSD, or at least your save data.

Mr.Mysterio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I guess there is other option but to format the Micro SD?
I can backup some the files but the others give me an error message.

RupeeClock said:
This is why you should make regular backups of your microSD, or at least your save data.
I have told my sister to backup her files many times just in case something like this happens.But she's ignorant and never listens to me.I guess this teach to listen to me in the future.

Anyways,why cant chkdsk fix the disk? It shows that the volume is in use by another program.And it doesnt ask me whether it should schedule the volume to be checked when the system restarts.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mr.Mysterio said:
Anyways,why cant chkdsk fix the disk? It shows that the volume is in use by another program.And it doesnt ask me whether it should schedule the volume to be checked when the system restarts.

My guess is that Windows doesn't load the removable drive until after it has booted up, so it can't see it to scan during the boot phase.
It is strange that it won't let you scan and fix errors when it has booted. Have you attempted it on another computer?

Myidentityisasec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want windows to ask you, go to start, my computer, (Drive letter here:), right-click on it, properties, tools, and error-checking! Hope this helps!

Mr.Mysterio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
It seems something is wrong is wrong with my laptop.I tried chkdsk on my father's PC and it fixed the errors.The drive's not corrupt anymore
yay.gif

Edhel said:
My guess is that Windows doesn't load the removable drive until after it has booted up, so it can't see it to scan during the boot phase.
It is strange that it won't let you scan and fix errors when it has booted. Have you attempted it on another computer?
Actually it didnt allow me to schedule the scan when the computer boots up.And I tried checking it through the tools tab in Properties and my computer just hangs
unsure.gif

I guess I must be missing some system files.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Just reformat the card. Next time she might listen.

IF the card still doesn't work right after then bear in mind Kingston have a lifetime guarantee.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol