Micro SD Card unable to format!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Shadowehh, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Shadowehh
    OP

Shadowehh Also known as Shadd

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Jeff The Killer's Bathroom
    UPDATE: I FIXED THIS PROBLEM BY FORMATTING THE MICRO SD ON UBUNTU AND REFORMATTING IT BACK ON WINDOWS USING SD FORMATTER!
    I cannot format a Micro SD card I have. It does not show up where it is supposed to (in the "This PC" in File Explorer on Windows 10), but I am able to find the Micro SD card in Disk Management and by using the "List Disk" command in CMD. It doesn't show as a disk letter in Disk Management, but shows as "Disk 1" and reports itself as a Healthy RAW partition. I deleted the volume and added a new sample volume into the Unallocated partition, but was unable to format. It showed up back in the "This PC" location in File Explorer, but when I try to format it (in other programs as well), it disappears and says unable to format and we start from square one again. I also am unable to fix it via CMD because when I make sure I selected the correct partition (the Micro SD Card) and then type clean, CMD says an error occurred and to check the log (which I am guessing it would say that it was unable to format the SD Card). I even checked that I didn't have the Micro SD on "Read Only" on the slider and also tried to reinsert it multiple times. I really need the Micro SD card at the moment and I can't find anything on google that would help me on this problem.
    UPDATE: I FIXED THIS PROBLEM BY FORMATTING THE MICRO SD ON UBUNTU AND REFORMATTING IT BACK ON WINDOWS USING SD FORMATTER!

Last edited by Shadowehh, Jun 16, 2017
    GerbilSoft likes this.
  2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is possible the microSD card has gone bad.

3. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Are you sure, it was working perfectly fine for the past couple of days and bought it brand new those past couple of days?

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I'm not saying it's definitely bad, but it's a real possibility. I don't have the charts in front of me, but a microSD card is most likely to go bad when it's either really old or really young. So, the fact that you bought it recently makes it more likely to have gone bad.

5. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Well, I'm just looking if there's a possibility of a fix for this. I kind of really need it right now and don't have any more money to buy another one.

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The fact that it wouldn't format is not a good sign. Does SD Formatter see the card? Does EaseUS Partition Master see it?

7. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    It only sees it when I set it as an unallocated partition but tells me there was an error formatting it once the partition was created.

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Using what?

9. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Using the Windows disk management, I delete the volume (yeah I mean to say volume, not partition earlier) and then SD Formatter recognizes it. When I start formatting it with SD Formatter, I notice that it creates the volume, but then says error when it tries to format it.

10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    That's not a good sign. What does EaseUS Partition Master do?

Also, SD cards are super cheap these days.

11. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Haven't tried that yet, I'll see.

12. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Well, I can't get it to fix my problem. It isn't really that different from the Windows disk management either.

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There are some key differences. Regardless, your microSD card appears to be caput.

14. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Maybe I should try to format it in Linux, usually, I have no problems there when Windows does. I should just boot from my flash drive into Linux then.

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It's worth a try, but you should keep your expectations low.

16. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Well, I guess I should also go ask elsewhere while I download the Ubuntu file via Torrent. I'm pretty sure the process would take a very long time anyways.

17. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    I am currently in Ubuntu via Flash drive and am currently formatting the SD card just fine without any errors (I'll report back when it is finished formatting and am back on windows).

Last edited by Shadowehh, Jun 16, 2017
  18. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Ubuntu formatted it, I am now back on Windows finally formatting it on SD formatter! Everything went well.

GerbilSoft and Lacius like this.