Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team protest Ubisoft's decision to delay Rayman Legends

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Below Ancel and his teamholding a banner baring the words: "Sortez nous Rayman. Soutient a Ubi Montpellier." "Release Rayman. Support Ubisoft Montpelier."

Rayman creator and highly-respected game designer Michel Ancel has appeared alongside members of the Rayman Legends development team in a series of photos protesting the game's delay by company bosses.

Rayman's crying face is seen in the middle of the poster.

A speech bubble emanates from his mouth. It simply says "SVP" - "please".

The background of the poster includes crowds holding banners that read "Wii U", "Rayman", "Michel Ancel" and "28/02/13", the game's intended release date before the delay.

Read the full quotes and article at http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-at-ubisofts-decision-to-delay-rayman-legends

Rayman legend devs not happy too, uh oh. Completely understandable as the Wii U game project was done.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just curious, what are their terms? A game must be released simultaneously if they want it on the xbox platform?

If it's anything like that, that's ridiculous.

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other videogame platforms, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with other platform versions in all regions where the title is available.
"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other videogame platforms, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with other platform versions in all regions where the title is available.
"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Wow, fuck Microsoft.

Reactions: 2ndApex

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else think the actual stupid decision was the original idea to make Rayman Legends a WiiU exclusive?

People are going "fuck Microsoft,"but Microsoft haven't done anything wrong here. It is their console so they have a right to dictate the conditions for their console and seemingly the publishers are fine with this. Their terms regarding simultaneous releases has apparently been around for two years so the decision makers at Ubisoft certainly can't claim ignorance on this. Or at least shouldn't.

From there I'll repeat the same sentiment from when Legends was announced as a Wii U exclusive. Making a niche game an exclusive to a system with a small userbase is stupid. We all know Origins took its time to reaching profitability and that was on several different systems. Legends should have been multi-platform on day one, not day one hundred and twenty-two. The decision not to make it multi-platform earlier really was short sighted and would have saved Ubisoft bad press and whinging.

Delays are infuriating but shit like this does happen. Anarchy Reigns was left on shelves for six months despite being ready for Western release. If I remember correctly, a re-release of Baldur's Gate got delayed a few days before release. I'm planning to buy the game on release to support the title. Legends is going to be niche game and it will need support for the Dev team to continue and make new games.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Does anyone else think the actual stupid decision was the original idea to make Rayman Legends a WiiU exclusive?

People are going "fuck Microsoft,"but Microsoft haven't done anything wrong here. It is their console so they have a right to dictate the conditions for their console and seemingly the publishers are fine with this. Their terms regarding simultaneous releases has apparently been around for two years so the decision makers at Ubisoft certainly can't claim ignorance on this. Or at least shouldn't.

From there I'll repeat the same sentiment from when Legends was announced as a Wii U exclusive. Making a niche game an exclusive to a system with a small userbase is stupid. We all know Origins took its time to reaching profitability and that was on several different systems. Legends should have been multi-platform on day one, not day one hundred and twenty-two. The decision not to make it multi-platform earlier really was short sighted and would have saved Ubisoft bad press and whinging.

Delays are infuriating but shit like this does happen. Anarchy Reigns was left on shelves for six months despite being ready for Western release. If I remember correctly, a re-release of Baldur's Gate got delayed a few days before release. I'm planning to buy the game on release to support the title. Legends is going to be niche game and it will need support for the Dev team to continue and make new games.
I totally agree!
Couldn't say it better myself!!!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

A good reply and pretty much sums up my POV. It's not that the game shouldn't be released, but it shouldn't be a surprise for Ubisoft that the 360 has certain restrictions in the terms.

ps. The BG: EE for OS X is still not released, while it should have been released in early November of 2012. And it's been ready for at least the time, but Apple hasn't approved it for the App Store.. Don't see many people really crying about it, but instead just ask for a possible release date. At least the WiiU/PS3/360 version has a release date instead of November -> Coming Soon.. :3

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got to admit: I thought Michel Ancel was that unidentified "high up" person who decided on the delay (or among them). :shy: I thought there wasn't much more 'high up' you could get in that company. Well...concerning anything about Rayman, that is.

People are going "fuck Microsoft,"but Microsoft haven't done anything wrong here. It is their console so they have a right to dictate the conditions for their console and seemingly the publishers are fine with this.
Also seemingly: the developers are not fine with this.

With this, I've gotta agree. I remember being skeptic about the claims of wiiu exclusiveness of the game. But I didn't worry about it. As many have said: I really don't care on how many platforms it comes out. Or to what delay (and seeing the launch lineup, I think most wiiu owners would agree ;) ).

The big question really is: why would microsoft deny the game from coming on the xbox360*?It's their prerogative that they can. Not that they are somehow have to deny it.

*assuming that's the reason of the delay, obviously

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also seemingly: the developers are not fine with this.

Let's be honest developers the punching bag of the publisher in the industry.

The big question really is: why would microsoft deny the game from coming on the xbox360*?It's their prerogative that they can. Not that they are somehow have to deny it.

*assuming that's the reason of the delay, obviously

Could you clarify that please, I'm not too sure on what you're trying to say there.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not really convinced that Microsoft would turn a high profile publisher like Ubisoft away even if they were the last to get the game (which they wouldn't have been). The big publishers hold all the power when it comes to the survival of consoles.

Microsoft: "Sorry, we're not granting a license for Rayman Legends because it came out on the Wii U first."
Ubisoft: "Tell you what then, stick your 360 up your arse, and your 720 too."
Microsoft: "Oops, we just lost a major publisher on our platform."

Repeat for EA and Activision and your console is in big trouble. It may be Ubisoft's policy to release multi-platform games on the same release date, but I doubt that has much to do with Microsoft's licensing terms. It also says they only reserve the right to deny licensing, so I can see that being the sort of policy they only enforce on small time publishers who desperately need the support of the console.

Damn, I feel sorry for the dev team, meeting them crushing deadlines.. At least they'll have time to de-bug and add new content to the game.
6 months isn't a lot of time to add new content, considering the fact that they also have to produce a new demo for the Wii U and port all the code they have to 2 other platforms, cut out all the GamePad only bits whilst still making sure the rest of the game looks ok, then get it ready for production. Don't expect any new content.

Reactions: Wizerzak

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To go further re: Microsoft. Might also want to case your minds back to earlier consoles and some of the.... interesting moves that happened there with regards to different versions ( http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons Main.html is a start). Some were actual technical/lack of grunt issues and others were bad ports (though I am still bitter about the PAL debacle I can see how it might not have worked here) but it was not a great position for anybody.

I would note most publishers have solved this issue but making another version with a few features tarted up a bit but that is probably a different discussion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: