Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team protest Ubisoft's decision to delay Rayman Legends

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm more concerned about what will happen to Ancel and his Dev team...
You don't usually go public saying "hey big boss, F--- You and your shitty decisions... Me, your fellow employee and friends here, are going public and points that you are the bad guy and make bad decisions!"

Shit like that gets you fired quick... I know he's a "legend" in the Ubisoft world or something... but still... going public and basically blaming your big boss and pointing he made a shitty decision is not a thing you do and actually get away with it... surely shit already hit the fan for Ancel and his team about this ordeal. I cannot see anyway this stunt ended well for them.
I'd say he's pretty safe. Mainly because if he gets fired for a dumb reason (I don't know how laws work over there, but I think it still has to be a just cause), the company would be under major heavy fire from fans more than they are now. Also, he wasn't blaming the boss, he was just seen with a sign, didn't say anything or nothing like that, lots of developers do that. If you mean the forum post with "Xavier" then.. well that will be hard to track down exactly who did it...

Sure I don't agree the game got pushed 6 months just to be ported... like F--- WiiU didn't get a good break since it came out... it only got ZombiU and Nintendo's first party exclusive... all the rest are fucking lame ports... Rayman seemed like an awesome exclusive for the console... not anymore... F--- Ubi wont port their upcoming Splinter Cell on WiiU... they didn't do FarCry3 for WiiU... why penalize the console so much like that?
Lame ports? The ports were good, Black Ops 2 was great, AC3 (as much as I hate the fucking game) was great, ME3, Arkham City had a few minor problems, majority of the games were awesome.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was more saying by "lame ports" that WiiU received ports from games already out on market (some) months after they've been released on other consoles... By the time Batman came out on WiiU along ME3 & Darksiders 2... Everybody already played those on other consoles... Heck for ME3 people were playing the game on the other consoles since they wanted to followup with their carry-on saved game... COD came out late... now this games is Niche for a certain fan base of little kids... and obviously they all jumped on the game when it came out months before the wiiu... so obviously not many people were playing it on the Wiiu.... AC3 is prolly the only exception (yeah I too fucking hate that game lol)... the game is better on WiiU and came out in the same time frame... Marvel Super Heroes came out about the same time as the Xbox version, god that game is horrid compared the Kinect version...

Can't wait for the game companies to finally give the WiiU a good break and make games for the console.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately Nintendo probably holding those for e3 or maybe fortunately even Nintendo Direct. Hopefully
a near Nintendo Direct for 3rd party is coming.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They don't even have to do much. They can release the WiiU version, and bring out "Extended edition" for other consoles. Then later sell those other levels to WiiU later. Or hell, they could just easily put "WiiU edition" on the front cover, and problem solved.
Lol. That would be a fun solution, indeed.

Ubisoft: look, guys. I know about your policy, and we're fine with that. In fact, we've got an entirely new rayman game for you. Exclusive, no less!
Microsoft: oh, really? That's nice of you. :)
Ubisoft: we'll call it "Rayman legendary"
Microsoft: is it going to be a follow-up?
Ubisoft: kind of. Look: here's some footage. A playable demo, no less. :)
Microsoft: is that a wiiu?
Ubisoft: this? no way! It's just our development engine. Nice Integrated Neuroncoded Team Environment Nash-Development Overmind, we call it. Or "nintendo" for short.
Microsoft: *not believing anything* right. this demo looks just like the nintendo demo.
Ubisoft: ...which in turn looks like rayman origins. Your point is?
Microsoft: this is just a cheap port with a different name.
Ubisoft: that's how you look at it. But on the plus side: we can release this new game in six months. :D
Microsoft: ...
Microsoft: I bet you reused over 90% of the code of rayman legends
Ubisoft: more like 99%. But that's how coding is: you don't want us to reinvent the wheel every time, right? I bet windows also reuses quite some code from previous versions! Also: have you not noticed that Rayman is now wearing a hat and that the Murphy-levels are gone?
Microsoft: that's just window dressing!
Ubisoft: in other words: just like windows millennium? :)
Microsoft: ...
Microsoft: can you at least put in some extra levels? :(
Ubisoft: we can make it rain in some levels. Is that okay? :P

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I was more saying by "lame ports" that WiiU received ports from games already out on market (some) months after they've been released on other consoles... By the time Batman came out on WiiU along ME3 & Darksiders 2... Everybody already played those on other consoles... Heck for ME3 people were playing the game on the other consoles since they wanted to followup with their carry-on saved game... COD came out late... now this games is Niche for a certain fan base of little kids... and obviously they all jumped on the game when it came out months before the wiiu... so obviously not many people were playing it on the Wiiu.... AC3 is prolly the only exception (yeah I too fucking hate that game lol)... the game is better on WiiU and came out in the same time frame... Marvel Super Heroes came out about the same time as the Xbox version, god that game is horrid compared the Kinect version...

Can't wait for the game companies to finally give the WiiU a good break and make games for the console.
I hadn't. I knew I was getting a Wii U, so I specifically waited to get Arkham City and AC3. It's not often that I feel the need to play a game on launch day, and generally I have a backlog of games I need to finish anyway, so I can be pretty patient and wait for the things I want. Now I have Arkham City and Darksiders II for my Wii U, and will be getting AC3 now that it's dropped to £25 on Amazon and I don't have to buy Rayman Legends for my kids this month.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks more like cheap PR than a real protest.
Someone somewhere said that it was fans that brought the banner to the studio, and Ancel et al. just agreed to take photos with them. Not sure if it's true or not, but I don't think it was a serious protest organised by the developers. For one, you'd think they'd have got the actual artist to draw Rayman for them ;).

Reactions: TripleSMoon

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Next up: a protest by Ubisoft publishing team that they were tricked by a legal clause, and that a delay was never their intention to delay anything. :P
ya you can't trust them. They tell you to send a ticket to support and all you get at the end is... 'we have forwarded it to the development team' who have seemingly gone on leave.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other videogame platforms, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with other platform versions in all regions where the title is available.
"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Then fuck Microsoft! Also, considering it is shipping simultaneously with the PS3 version, why is it a big deal? Also, the development team could easily throw in extra stuff exclusively for the Wii U, as it's their project.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then fuck Microsoft! Also, considering it is shipping simultaneously with the PS3 version, why is it a big deal? Also, the development team could easily throw in extra stuff exclusively for the Wii U, as it's their project.

Because if it's released on the Xbox 360 all other versions have to be released at the same time.

Considering the Xbox 360 is a FUCKING HUGE market, cutting it would just be pants-on-head retarded especially when going multiplat.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because if it's released on the Xbox 360 all other versions have to be released at the same time.

Considering the Xbox 360 is a FUCKING HUGE market, cutting it would just be pants-on-head retarded especially when going multiplat.

But that's what we're saying, they don't have to cut it. They could easily do a remedy, add a few extra levels to either version or some small extra feature. But they aren't doing that.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like the Murphy levels?

Oh wait, that's not a good thing.

Nah, they could do a minigame thing in the 360 version like, a little party thing involving lums, or an arena/obstacle course thing, anything really. I'm curious as to how they're gonna deal with the murphy levels, just make the platforms move automatically??

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

To be honest, with how easy it would be to pirate the game on the 360, if Nintendo had any shred of intelligence, they would throw 100 million at Ubisoft and get it timed exclusive, because that is probably more money then they are going to make from just the 360 version alone in terms of revenue of the game, and they could save money just not bringing it to the 360.

No one should have to suffer because Microsoft are a bunch of assholes, and if I were Nintendo, I'd be going after them over this, maybe even forcing Ubisoft to cancel the 360 version in order to get it out for the Wii U on time. Money talks in the business world, and if Nintendo wants to sell more consoles, they need Rayman: Legends released on time and they will have to buy their way to getting it out on time.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, they could do a minigame thing in the 360 version like, a little party thing involving lums, or an arena/obstacle course thing, anything really. I'm curious as to how they're gonna deal with the murphy levels, just make the platforms move automatically??

Pretty sure they're just being cut because it's an absolutely horrible idea.

Hey, what's fun about platformers? How about NOT PLATFORMING and shoving hardware in your face?

To be honest, with how easy it would be to pirate the game on the 360, if Nintendo had any shred of intelligence, they would throw 100 million at Ubisoft and get it timed exclusive, because that is probably more money then they are going to make from just the 360 version alone in terms of revenue of the game, and they could save money just not bringing it to the 360.

No one should have to suffer because Microsoft are a bunch of assholes, and if I were Nintendo, I'd be going after them over this, maybe even forcing Ubisoft to cancel the 360 version in order to get it out for the Wii U on time. Money talks in the business world, and if Nintendo wants to sell more consoles, they need Rayman: Legends released on time and they will have to buy their way to getting it out on time.

Wait, you think Nintendo paying $100 million for Rayman Legends timed exclusivity is a smart idea?

Oh my gentle Jesus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah some of us have to stop at x6 not all of us are lucky to stop at x30 like you