Gaming MGS disappointing ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to buy MGS as soon as I saw screenshots and videos from the "Naked sample" tech demo. But now, after they've decided to simply port the PS2 version and especially after seeing the awful eShop, I'm not so sure.

I've played one of the earliest MGS'es - don't remember the exact name, one task was to traverse a snowy minefield, and in the end you unknowingly assembled parts for a war machine for a bad guy. Anyway, I remember the story was really fantastic and I got really addicted, playing non-stop until late hours. Also, the graphics were very good for that time.

So, are you still getting MGS for 3DS ? Will it be worth ?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really liked the one on the PS2, and I'd love to play it portable and in 3D, but paying $50-$60 for the same game seems a bit steep.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow great spoiler there bud.

Anyway, I think it would be like the ocarina of time dilemma, where people didnt want to pay for the same game again. But some of them still bought it because, well, there's nothing to play anyway, so
laugh.gif

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I'm getting it, i did have it pre-ordered (since january, despite not having a release date) but they wouldn't change my address when i moved so i cancelled it.

Will 're-pre-order' again closer to the actual release date
happy.gif

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I ain't paying full price for a lazy port, we've seen what was capable with early samples and it was simply mind blowing. They decided to fuck with the 3DS one and put their efforts on the HD remakes.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
I ain't paying full price for a lazy port, we've seen what was capable with early samples and it was simply mind blowing. They decided to fuck with the 3DS one and put their efforts on the HD remakes.

i thought it looked lazy too since the graphics don't look as good as naked sample demo but maybe it can't be because of size constraints? i was reading MGS interview on the latest nintendo power and apparently, graphics were a priority and was pushed as hard as possible. maybe there just wasn't room to make stronger graphics since this game is already using a bigger 3ds game card.

D

Deleted User

Snailface said:
Watched the movie again just to be certain -- this looks like a first gen PSP game. And the framerate looks to be about 15fps.

The graphics are terrible.
angry.gif
Trailers =/= real FPS.

The game will look okay and run at 30 fps.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Watched the movie again just to be certain -- this looks like a first gen PSP game. And the framerate looks to be about 15fps.

angry.gif

I'd love to see that first gen PSP game you're referring to. I've not been able to find one that looks this good. Even with a worse framerate and muddier textures than the original on PS2, this still looks better than Peace Walker (one of the best looking PSP games).

QUOTE(brandonspikes @ Jul 9 2011, 06:12 PM) Trailers =/= real FPS.

The game runs anywhere between 15 and 30 frames per second, the trailer is accurate in this case. Off screen footage from E3 showed some serious framerate drops. You can tell there's serious drops when the actual game runs choppier than the video itself. Most of the framerate drops seem to happen during cutscenes for some reason. I've noticed fewer drops during actual gameplay.

The game isn't due out until the end of the year. So there's still plenty of time for optimizations. I've seen such improvements happen over a relatively short time to other games. Too early to judge the final game now. It's still inevitably going to end up as a lazy port. My guess is that Konami decided to just quick port it for kicks since they're also releasing the game in HD. No reason to put any effort into it (even though the 3DS is factually capable of so much more).
rolleyes.gif

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
heartgold said:
The fact of the matter is, the "tech demo" was a non-controllable in essence, cutscene.
It looked better, true. Maybe due to them writing it from scratch for the 3DS while MGS3D footage is a port from PS2,or maybe to do with there not being a lot of power required to play a cutscene. (Do not know if it was interactive or not.)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Naked Sample demo shown in 2010 was interactive. It was real time and though on rails and unplayable, you still had full control over the camera angle during the entire demo. So it was indeed possible to render such visuals on the 3DS. In addition to that, Kojima had said that Naked Sample was rushed out quickly just to make it to E3 and that he wasn't using the full potential of the system. So yeah, what we ended up getting was a lazy port instead of an actual remake as we were supposed to.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Seriously, that horrible work shown was a trailer.

Trailers don't show the real actual gameplay, it is often not as good.

Plus, MGS will only be released after many months, hence there's still time.

Edit: (My own opinion) the person being interviewed about MGS SE3D seemed extremely confident. I have seen interviews of people who were behind rushed software (not horrible, to me every game is good) and they looked a little tense and worried.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
jan777 said:
I think it would be like the ocarina of time dilemma, where people didnt want to pay for the same game again.
OOT had its graphics improved compared to the original. For MGS I think graphics will even be slightly worse than the PS2 version.

chris888222 said:
I don't understand. When creating trailers, game studios can cheat, they can (and often do) throw in additional effects which will not make it into the final product - because their aim is to attract buyers, to create hype, to show the best elements of the game. Why would they show shitty unfinished development build ?

QUOTE(phantastic91 @ Jul 9 2011, 09:22 PM)
graphics don't look as good as naked sample demo but maybe it can't be because of size constraints?
I don't know where do people get this idea that better graphics requires much more space. 3D models take almost no space and compress very well. Textures - not that much. The biggest amount of space is usually taken by full motion video cutscenes and soundtracks... Below, a screenshot from a 96 kb PC game kkrieger.

full4.jpg

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
pachura said:
chris888222 said:
I don't understand. When creating trailers, game studios can cheat, they can (and often do) throw in additional effects which will not make it into the final product - because their aim is to attract buyers, to create hype, to show the best elements of the game. Why would they show shitty unfinished development build ?
That video was shown at E3, and they would at least want to show little of what's done, what to at least expect from the game.

That video seriously looks rushed, but there's still months away to the actual game.

D

Deleted User

granville said:
Snailface said:

angry.gif

I'd love to see that first gen PSP game you're referring to. I've not been able to find one that looks this good. Even with a worse framerate and muddier textures than the original on PS2, this still looks better than Peace Walker (one of the best looking PSP games).

QUOTE(brandonspikes @ Jul 9 2011, 06:12 PM) Trailers =/= real FPS.

The game runs anywhere between 15 and 30 frames per second, the trailer is accurate in this case. Off screen footage from E3 showed some serious framerate drops. You can tell there's serious drops when the actual game runs choppier than the video itself. Most of the framerate drops seem to happen during cutscenes for some reason. I've noticed fewer drops during actual gameplay.

The game isn't due out until the end of the year. So there's still plenty of time for optimizations. I've seen such improvements happen over a relatively short time to other games. Too early to judge the final game now. It's still inevitably going to end up as a lazy port. My guess is that Konami decided to just quick port it for kicks since they're also releasing the game in HD. No reason to put any effort into it (even though the 3DS is factually capable of so much more).
rolleyes.gif
Can I has link?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)