MGS disappointing ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by pachura, Jul 9, 2011.

Jul 9, 2011

MGS disappointing ? by pachura at 9:05 PM (3,429 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I wanted to buy MGS as soon as I saw screenshots and videos from the "Naked sample" tech demo. But now, after they've decided to simply port the PS2 version and especially after seeing the awful eShop, I'm not so sure.

I've played one of the earliest MGS'es - don't remember the exact name, one task was to traverse a snowy minefield, and in the end you unknowingly assembled parts for a war machine for a bad guy. Anyway, I remember the story was really fantastic and I got really addicted, playing non-stop until late hours. Also, the graphics were very good for that time.

So, are you still getting MGS for 3DS ? Will it be worth ?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I really liked the one on the PS2, and I'd love to play it portable and in 3D, but paying $50-$60 for the same game seems a bit steep.

3. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    Wow great spoiler there bud.

Anyway, I think it would be like the ocarina of time dilemma, where people didnt want to pay for the same game again. But some of them still bought it because, well, there's nothing to play anyway, so [​IMG]

4. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I'm getting it, i did have it pre-ordered (since january, despite not having a release date) but they wouldn't change my address when i moved so i cancelled it.

Will 're-pre-order' again closer to the actual release date [​IMG]

5. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I ain't paying full price for a lazy port, we've seen what was capable with early samples and it was simply mind blowing. They decided to fuck with the 3DS one and put their efforts on the HD remakes.

6. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

i thought it looked lazy too since the graphics don't look as good as naked sample demo but maybe it can't be because of size constraints? i was reading MGS interview on the latest nintendo power and apparently, graphics were a priority and was pushed as hard as possible. maybe there just wasn't room to make stronger graphics since this game is already using a bigger 3ds game card.

7. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Watched the movie again just to be certain -- this looks like a first gen PSP game. And the framerate looks to be about 15fps.

The graphics are terrible. [​IMG]

8. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Trailers =/= real FPS.

The game will look okay and run at 30 fps.

9. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I'm just going to get the MGS Collection. I can only see MGS 3DS appeal to those who only buy Nintendo consoles.

10. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Which sucks 'cause it's on the Xbox 360.

11. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The game runs anywhere between 15 and 30 frames per second, the trailer is accurate in this case. Off screen footage from E3 showed some serious framerate drops. You can tell there's serious drops when the actual game runs choppier than the video itself. Most of the framerate drops seem to happen during cutscenes for some reason. I've noticed fewer drops during actual gameplay.

The game isn't due out until the end of the year. So there's still plenty of time for optimizations. I've seen such improvements happen over a relatively short time to other games. Too early to judge the final game now. It's still inevitably going to end up as a lazy port. My guess is that Konami decided to just quick port it for kicks since they're also releasing the game in HD. No reason to put any effort into it (even though the 3DS is factually capable of so much more). [​IMG]

12. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    The fact of the matter is, the "tech demo" was a non-controllable in essence, cutscene.
    It looked better, true. Maybe due to them writing it from scratch for the 3DS while MGS3D footage is a port from PS2,or maybe to do with there not being a lot of power required to play a cutscene. (Do not know if it was interactive or not.)

13. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The Naked Sample demo shown in 2010 was interactive. It was real time and though on rails and unplayable, you still had full control over the camera angle during the entire demo. So it was indeed possible to render such visuals on the 3DS. In addition to that, Kojima had said that Naked Sample was rushed out quickly just to make it to E3 and that he wasn't using the full potential of the system. So yeah, what we ended up getting was a lazy port instead of an actual remake as we were supposed to.

14. Amrulez

Newcomer Amrulez Member

United States
    Is the port not going to be in 3D?

15. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Yes it is 3D.

At least Resident evil 3d live up to graphics exception,right?

16. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Seriously, that horrible work shown was a trailer.

Trailers don't show the real actual gameplay, it is often not as good.

Plus, MGS will only be released after many months, hence there's still time.

Edit: (My own opinion) the person being interviewed about MGS SE3D seemed extremely confident. I have seen interviews of people who were behind rushed software (not horrible, to me every game is good) and they looked a little tense and worried.

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    and PS3

18. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I don't know where do people get this idea that better graphics requires much more space. 3D models take almost no space and compress very well. Textures - not that much. The biggest amount of space is usually taken by full motion video cutscenes and soundtracks... Below, a screenshot from a 96 kb PC game kkrieger.

[​IMG]

19. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    That video was shown at E3, and they would at least want to show little of what's done, what to at least expect from the game.

That video seriously looks rushed, but there's still months away to the actual game.

20. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Can I has link?