Homebrew mGBA official standalone Wii port

zerofalcon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you tell me step by step how to use borders in retroarch, because i been trying to do it for like 2 days.

what i did was i download an overlay pack, i then put it in the overlay folder on the sd card, i enter retroarch hit setting hit overlay options hit overlay preset then i chose the overlay i want but the problem im having is that when i try to adjust the screen of the game to fit inside the overlay it just move everything together. I just want to move the game screen not the overlay.
i have try changing resolution, making the overlay bigge, nothing work of course because the game screen move with the dam overlay a the same time.

any suggetion will be appreciate

First go to settings->video, change "Set VI Screen Width" to 720.
Proceed to onscreen overlay, increase overlay scale to 1.50 after selecting it from overlay preset.
Go again to video settings, change video resolution to 608x240, then adjust custom viewport X to this value:64 ; custom viewport Y: 40 and custom viewport width 480, custom viewport height 160.

deblon23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First go to settings->video, change "Set VI Screen Width" to 720.
Proceed to onscreen overlay, increase overlay scale to 1.50 after selecting it from overlay preset.
Go again to video settings, change video resolution to 608x240, then adjust custom viewport X to this value:64 ; custom viewport Y: 40 and custom viewport width 480, custom viewport height 160.

Forgot to mention im on v1.0.0.2 so almost all the option you mention are not in my settings. So that would work only on 1.2 and up?

Last edited by deblon23,

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What, is there a 1.0.2 version of mGBA core?!?
If so, please share.

I have unsuccesfully tried to tinker with 1.2.2 so many times, i gave up. I have 1.0.2 perfectly set up (custom ratios and overlays as standard, names and folders are automatic, so no need to mess with anything anymore). If only some of the new 1.2.2. cores were made/downported to work with 1.0.2... Cores like MGBA, Mame, MSX, Lynx, Atari 2600.

Last edited by nakata6790,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What, is there a 1.0.2 version of mGBA core?!?
If so, please share.

I have unsuccesfully tried to tinker with 1.2.2 so many times, i gave up. I have 1.0.2 perfectly setup (custom ratios and overlays as standard, names and folders are automaic, so no need to mess with anything anymore). If only som of the new 1.2.2. cores were made/downported to work with 1.0.2... MGBA, Mame, MSX, Lynx, etc.
Back in 1.0.2 mGBA wasn't a thing yet. :P

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Back in 1.0.2 mGBA wasn't a thing yet. :P
And so did the other cores i listed as well (for Wii 1.0.2 there were no MSX, Atari2600, Lynx, Mame cores). So what? They can be made to work with 1.0.2. as we have seen in genesix plus GX or SNES9X Next cores that were downported from 1.2.2 to 1.0.2 to solve issues.

Unfortunately only @zerofalcon knows how to do this from what i've seen and i feel bad to ask him do all this work. If he has the time or will to go through, i'm sure we'd all be obliged.

I'm really interested on a 1.0.0.2 version of mGBA... That sounds like heaven, lol.
Yes, that would be a match in heaven... Borders, custom ratio, savestates AND MGBA's amazing performance all in one? Yes please!

Last edited by nakata6790,

liljon042

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that this is running GBA games faster than even VBAGX? That's amazing! I also saw it didn't support ZIP files in the first post? Is this still the case or was this added in a nightly build?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see that this is running GBA games faster than even VBAGX? That's amazing! I also saw it didn't support ZIP files in the first post? Is this still the case or was this added in a nightly build?
Not yet.
I think there were some issues with libzip when trying to implement that option into mGBA.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
ah I see, I thought that might've been the case. I unzipped all my roms I had. Fun fact: It doubled in size O.o
Yeah most GBA titles do that when uncompressed.
Isn't out there some sort of GBA ROM trimmer or something similar?
I remember NDS had one, perhaps GBA has one too to save some space.

EDIT:
Well... Turns out the NDS trimmer also works on GBA games:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ndstokyotrim-batch-trimmer-with-wifi-detection.55162/

That one. :)
Give it a try (BACKUP THE ROM FIRST) and let me know if you got the ROM working without issues.

I didn't even notice NDS Tokyo Trimmer also supports 3DS Trimming now. xD

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

03bgood

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this better than VBA GX? Does the sound still skip like it did on VBA GX because that was a pain in the ass!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

An additional benefit is that it also plays the Classic NES series games without need for patching. The people behind mGBA figured out the Anti-Piracy techniques the games utilized to prevent them from being copied.
That's kinda pointless since most of the Classic NES series have been released on the Wii U Virtual Console. (Except for Bomberman)

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stupid question lol, does this have the ability to read games from and external HDD? cause I get it to load just can't get it to point to my roms directory lol :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o