Gaming MewTwo has returned as DLC for Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's my point. You don't own it. It's on the disc, but you don't own it. You don't have the license for it, it's not yours, just like you don't own Windows Professional when you buy Windows Home. It's on the disc, but you don't have the license for it - you need to buy a license and then it's yours, or rather, the right to use it as they see fit is yours.
Added an important stuff to it. XD

But yeah, Foxi4 is right. Most digital software comes with a license to use, rather than fully owning said software.

Nope, Foxi4.

You may want to think like that but as far as I'm concerned what I buy belongs to me and I do what I want with it and for instances like these it's good that consoles are hackable so those same customers can fight back by playing the content they already own on their discs.
And I can tell you right now that you would be on the losing side, if you say it exactly like that in court.
There's a reason why in every software, there's a licensing agreement that comes with when using the software.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Added an important stuff to it. XD But yeah, Foxi4 is right. Most digital software comes with a license to use, rather than fully owning said software. And I can tell you that you would be on the losing side, if you say it exactly like that in court.
You underlined something very important - you are to use the software as the makers of the software deem fit and the makers of the software have the right to revoke your license in the event that you break your license agreement. It doesn't happen often, if at all, but it could happen. They have the right to do so, even though you "have the disc". You owning a piece of plastic with data on it has nothing to do with whether or not you can use the software.

Take DVD protection as an example - I think it was StarForce protection that only allowed you to install a game X amount of times. The software developers thought that, say, 10 times is a sufficient amount of installations and after reaching that amount, the disc became a frisbie without a crack. The license said so, so tough luck cowboy - you "over-installed" your game and there ain't nothing you can do about it. PC piracy has become so bad that devs had to restrict the amount of installs they let you perform, that's both awful and sad.
Nope, Foxi4.

You may want to think like that but as far as I'm concerned what I buy belongs to me and I do what I want with it and for instances like these it's good that consoles are hackable so those same customers can fight back by playing the content they already own on their discs.
In that case you live in a world where you go to a store and buy a plastic box with a plastic disc that just so happens to have a game on it. No, you go in to buy a game. :rofl2: The game as a piece of software is intangible, it just happens to be stored on a disc because that's convenient. You don't own the game, you don't own data, you don't own 1's and 0's carved into the cartridge or a disc, you own a license allowing you to use the software stored on the disc in a given fashion. It's always been like this, since the dawn of computing and the dawn of EULA's.

Reactions: gamefan5

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Believe me I played both games to death. Melee was just not as good for me. I preferred Brawl for all of the new features it added not to mention it added some good characters and got rid of those crappy clones. The 3DS is the only one I would never play simply because of the D Pad.

I beg to differ on the control of the characters though. Say for instance Kirby, my favorite character controls much better in Brawl than he ever did in Melee. That's a matter of fact.

i'm not talking about controlling better or worse either. obviously floaty controls can be better on a subjective level. matter of fact is though, that controls in melee were more responsive and faster. characters dropped to the ground quicker, unlike in brawl where they all felt like stuffed with helium. they moved quicker and more accurate, if you wanted to go three steps to the left, you did. you never floated another two further. your moved executed instantly, no millisecond later.

we may very well agree to disagree on what is better in a fighting game, but matter of fact is that melee was more accurate.

How would you even do things like aim Zelda's teleport with a dpad? 8 angles really isn't enough for that.

its not ideal, but brawl was not impossible to control using just a wiimote either.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This just in.
In another attempt to overthrow the humans and become the sole and undisputed ruler of the Earth, MewTwo has once again set an evil plan in motion.
Having tricked the people of Earth into confusing discussions about game licences, he made sure, they can't properly train their fighting skills while he is finishing up his preperations for world dominance on the dark side of the Moon.
Can the Earth still be saved? Where is Ash Ketchum? Be prepared for the breathtaking experience, when he comes to get you!
"New Challanger Approaching" - Spring 2015

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This just in.
In another attempt to overthrow the humans and become the sole and undisputed ruler of the Earth, MewTwo has once again set an evil plan in motion.
Having tricked the people of Earth into confusing discussions about game licences, he made sure, they can't properly train their fighting skills while he is finishing up his preperations for world dominance on the dark side of the Moon.
Can the Earth still be saved? Where is Ash Ketchum? Be prepared for the breathtaking experience, when he comes to get you!
"New Challanger Approaching" - Spring 2015
Now I really f*cking hope Mewtwo is somehow on the cartridge, just obfuscated. I hope people find him and flip their lids, it'd be the funniest thing in the world. ;O;

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is so sad that the 3ds version was not released 2 years later on. Because if it was it will have the same amount of content as wiiu version will have (except for the hardware limitation parts(.

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, actually, and hope that this isn't exclusive for having both versions. Because there are people that have the 3DS version and don't want the Wii U version, or have the Wii U but don't want the 3DS version. Unless he'll be available on the eShop later on, that is a pretty dick move on their part. Either way, people will have to spend a shitload of money to get him.
Nobody is forcing anyone to spend a shitload of money on anything. Nintendo will make Mewtwo avaliable in the Eshop for a rock bottom price. Wait and see, Nintendo aren't Microsoft, Capcom or Bandai. They know how to handle their DLC (Mostly). I'm going for the recent example of Mario Kart and it was good. New characters, new skins, new courses (and a shitload of them as well) all for a good price and they even did it in a bundle. I personally have faith in Nintendo to do it.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nobody is forcing anyone to spend a shitload of money on anything. Nintendo will make Mewtwo avaliable in the Eshop for a rock bottom price. Wait and see, Nintendo aren't Microsoft, Capcom or Bandai. They know how to handle their DLC (Mostly). I'm going for the recent example of Mario Kart and it was good. New characters, new skins, new courses (and a shitload of them as well) all for a good price and they even did it in a bundle. I personally have faith in Nintendo to do it.

Despite that the price conversion is fucked up they're still going to give a great deal of content for £11.99/$11.99.

This reminds me, TWD Season 2 also costs £11.99 and I've yet to play it. I heard it's not as good as S1 but still.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmm, true, they're not perfect but not the worst either.
Again, they're not perfect in the least, but they're no EA when it comes to price-gouging the DLC.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This reminds me, TWD Season 2 also costs £11.99 and I've yet to play it. I heard it's not as good as S1 but still.
I only played the first episode of the season and back then I figured "I'll buy it when all of the episodes come out" - I'll have to get back to that. TWD was an excellent game, it'd be hard to top the first season, so it comes as no suprise to me that the second one is said to be "not as good". Much like you, I don't care - I just gotta play it. :D
Again, they're not perfect in the least, but they're no EA when it comes to price-gouging the DLC.
I think EA did a smart thing with their Premium program for Battlefield. Limited-time access to all DLC that ever came out for a flat fee? Yes, please! :yay:

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Nintendo has just started doing DLC (this is not in their favor, mind you) and it's immediately marked by everyone complaining about Fire Emblem's DLC, I don't think that constitutes a "great job."

Plus this is pretty stupid as well. Forcing people to buy both versions of a game to get one character is rather dumb.

The DLC itself is fantastic, the only complaint about the Fire Emblem DLC is the price. Meanwhile other Nintendo games doing the DLC thing, have for the most part been releasing fantastic extra content at a reasonable price (Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, and Mario Golf all come immediately to mind). Hyrule Warriors has some great DLC too, but again, the price there is a bit too much. But really if the only problem with your DLC structure is the price you might be giving it out at, thats not really a big problem, DLC prices can be adjusted, and as I said, more often than not, the DLC price is actually quite reasonable.

As to your other point, NOE said that Mewtwo will be available to those that don't buy both games, but will come at a price. Seems reasonable to me.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've only recently started dipping into DLC, remember a lot of those other companies were fair with their DLC at first. Not that I'm complaining about the Mewtwo DLC or that Nintendo will go that exploitative route, just make sure you know what you're buying before you buy it, not just because it has a name attached. As long as it's fairly priced, I end up liking Smash for Wii U (3DS version was too floaty for me), and Mewtwo feels good to play, I'll definitely be getting it.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I really f*cking hope Mewtwo is somehow on the cartridge, just obfuscated. I hope people find him and flip their lids, it'd be the funniest thing in the world. ;O;

Well considering they've searched the 3DS code and found no trace of Mewtwo, but an indication that characters can be downloaded, I'd say its pretty unlikely that he is on the Wii U disc, and even if he for some reason is, he isn't on the 3DS cart, so he certainly wasn't complete upon release of the 3DS version.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well considering they've searched the 3DS code and found no trace of Mewtwo, but an indication that characters can be downloaded, I'd say its pretty unlikely that he is on the Wii U disc, and even if he for some reason is, he isn't on the 3DS cart, so he certainly wasn't complete upon release of the 3DS version.
As you may have read in my previous replies, I wouldn't care either way, I'd just be happy to see people bawwing their eyes out over it. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. :toot:

Reactions: TecXero

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How shitty would it be if Mewtwo was the one from the new movie with the lady voice?
I haven't watched any Pokemon movies in a long time, but I can't say I'd really care if the voice actor is male or female. I'd even be fine with no voice acting at all, as long as the character is satisfying to play. I can't imagine gender will alter the play style of Mewtwo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F