gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I couldn't find anything using the search to help me with this, but my problem is that I have a softmodded wii with System Menu 4.2, and I just bought Metroid: Other M today which won't let me play it without updating to 4.3. I have found guides for modding a virgin wii to 4.3, but is there a way to update to 4.3 without losing my mod and potentially bricking my system? I remember seeing a link to a program by Waninoko or something that supposedly let you update to 4.3 while retaining your mod on here shortly after the new update was released, but I can't find it now, and I think it only worked for region E. Has that been fixed yet?

1stkirbyever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a USB-HDD, why not use that? If you don't I think there is a hack (Correct me if I'm wrong) that allows you to bypass the Update, I know Gecko OS works too. Also, if I'm correct, installing the IOS it requires should remove the update prompt.

gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I don't have an HDD hooked up to it, and it wouldn't help in this case as I actually bought the game and I'm frustrated because I can't play it now. I don't have things like Gecko OS or usb loaders installed because I don't actually use my modded wii for anything other than homebrew.

yatesl

Trophies
XP
Country
Install Priiloader (which you should have anyway, even if you have a boot2 bootmii), and use the hacks.ini to block disc updates

gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, but if I block the disc updates the game still won't run because it requires 4.3, right?

As for Gecko OS, is there a guide that shows how to get the game running with it?

drhacknslash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gspawn said:
Ok, but if I block the disc updates the game still won't run because it requires 4.3, right?

As for Gecko OS, is there a guide that shows how to get the game running with it?

I'll second the recommendation to install Priiloader, and enable Block Disc Updates and Block Online Updates. No game to date requires a specific system menu. Only specific IOSes and even certain revisions of older IOSes (NSMB for example). Metroid Other M's attempt to push you to 4.3 is Ninty's attempt to ruin your homebrew.

Alternatively, running your legit copy of Metroid Other M via Neogamma instead of the standard Disc channel, or installing it to a usb HD and running it through cfg usb loader will work as well for getting around the update check.

My Wii is on system menu 4.2, and I have been playing Metroid Other M via cfg usb loader with hermes cios 222 v4 with no problems.

Good luck to you
smile.gif

Kazooie77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seem like a lot of people have issues with Waninkoko's 4.3b. Don't know why since I'm on 4.3 with no issues and using ciso rev 20 been playing the game with no issue. But with upgrading like I say and everyone else saids. Back up you nand!!!! Also I'm on the newer ver of HBC too.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your HBC is v1.0.7 or 1.0.8, 4.3 will not kill it. The only thing 4.3 would do to you is install stub IOS's which wouldn't take less than 5 minutes to delete with DOP-Mii and reinstall cIOS.

gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I've got the game running with Gecko OS, so thanks for that suggestion. I have the latest version of the HBC, so what you're saying is that if I update to 4.3, it won't remove the HBC, and I can use DOP-Mii to remove the stubs and reinstall cIOS? Is there a guide that will tell me which stubs to remove and which cIOS to install? (I always get a little paranoid that I'm going to delete the wrong thing, so I like to have clearly written instructions.)

And thanks again for all the help you guys, the responses have been quick and helpful.

moontime11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gspawn said:
Well, I've got the game running with Gecko OS, so thanks for that suggestion. I have the latest version of the HBC, so what you're saying is that if I update to 4.3, it won't remove the HBC, and I can use DOP-Mii to remove the stubs and reinstall cIOS? Is there a guide that will tell me which stubs to remove and which cIOS to install? (I always get a little paranoid that I'm going to delete the wrong thing, so I like to have clearly written instructions.)

And thanks again for all the help you guys, the responses have been quick and helpful.

gspawn

Im kinda new to this thing and I am trying to get Metroid up and running to without the update. Can you tell me how you got Gecko OS. I too have everything else and need detail help with the DOP-Mii thing too.

Thanks for the help-

Tolin42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gecko should be available through the Homebrew Browser - check on these forums or on wiibrew. I'm still on 4.0... The game only seems to check for one of the on-disc IOS', and Gecko will install that for you without the full upgrade. I'd say wait for a little bit until one of the more experienced people on these forums give you further instructions if you're unsure.

yatesl

Trophies
XP
Country
acturus said:
it's been a since monster hunter that i did this, but doesn't installing starfall (i think that was the name) let you skip disc updates?
Yeah, but if you're installing pre-boot programs, you may as well get Priiloader.

stewes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be possible to simply turn off the wireless router prior to inserting the disc for the first time in order to circumvent the update? I would imagine it would be a bad idea for N to release a game that absolutely requires internet connectivity in order to work.

gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
moontime11 said:
gspawn

Im kinda new to this thing and I am trying to get Metroid up and running to without the update. Can you tell me how you got Gecko OS. I too have everything else and need detail help with the DOP-Mii thing too.

Thanks for the help-

Sure thing moontime11! I actually use something called the Homebrew Browser. Gecko OS is under the utilities tab. Once you have homebrew browser installed, just go to the app and hit the download button. It will download and install it for you automatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6-XeyNMCJw